356 A steering gear replacment

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jack Walter
356 Fan

Re: 356 A steering gear replacment

#16 Post by Jack Walter »

Here's a pic of a ZF installed in my 1956 356A coupe - I had to trim the flange on the forward edge of the access hole.
I also had to make a spacer to get the correct steering column length.

And yes I realize that I need to do some detailing under that hatch - it's pretty grubby looking.
Attachments
IMG_2226.jpg
IMG_2227.jpg

tony apcar
356 Fan

#17 Post by tony apcar »

I think on a "56 car you need an adjustable left hand side tie rod ??? from a later car ...the 56 cars have solid left hand side tie rods ....
anthony apcar

Al Zim
356 Fan

#18 Post by Al Zim »

I had a 55 VW with full S-90 running gear including a steering box and have installed ZF boxes in pre 1958 cars. I never had to cut anything. By turning the pitman arm to one side the slid in. I did this before we had good (read any) alignment equipment. The VW design even using Porsche spindles always caused one front tire to slide when turning sharply this was because the ackerman that was designed for the Porsche would NOT work on a VW. As I reviewed my post and looked at pictures of "spacers" that were used to make other steering boxes work I realized that most mechanics do not understand the extent of "Porsche" engineering to accommodate correct steering angles. If the track and the wheelbase is not the same (in the VW case) None of the controls on the 356's will function correctly. After 55 years your steering is worn out! Usually the lower right trailing arm is bent from hitting a curb and the bearing in the axle tube is damaged. For those of you that have removed your steering box contact me I would be pleased to purchase it from you. al zim 800.356.2964
Last edited by Al Zim on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#19 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Jim Clement wrote:your memory is correct.. it takes some adjusting of the flange on the body on the front side of the steering box.. hammer work..
then it fits..
I have installed a ZF box from a '64C coupe into my 82984 '56 Speedster. This work was done in 2000. Due to the spacial clearances alluded to in previous posts, I found an expedient solution by installing the box by first removing two of the mounting studs and the pitman arm, replacing both after the box was registered over the pin/hole location on the torsion tube and locating the pitman arm on the factory match markings before installing securing fasteners, applying the requisite torque specification and installing the cotter pin.. The work procedure was compromised somewhat as this chassis number did not have a removable panel on the vertical surface in front of the steering box. However, doing it this way, my only modification to the flange that holds the inspection plate was to hand file a small notch in the flange to service the oil fill plug.

Special Factory tool, P72, eases the task of removing the pitman arm either on the bench or in situ. I have made copies of this tool which embodies both ergonomic and metallurgical improvements. I will post a for sale in the classifieds for it.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Bill Keyser
356 Fan

#20 Post by Bill Keyser »

Al Zim can you give any more details on fitting the ZF box into an early 356A. I'm having the devils own time getting it in.
I'd rather not take the cover off and I'd like to keep any "body adjustments" to a minimum.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bill Keyser
356 Fan

#21 Post by Bill Keyser »

Jack Walter, the spacer to lengthen the steering column what did you use to make it? Dis you use special longer nuts and bolts?
I know it's been some time since this thread was started, life makes some projects longer than others.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Bill

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#22 Post by Norm Miller »

I wonder how many late boxes I sent to scrap over the years?

George Walling
356 Fan

#23 Post by George Walling »

Hi all, well I'm needing to replace my steering gear box in the 55 Speedster wondering if the TRW made replacement box for the VW Bug is a replacement for my speedster. I'm not wanting to convert to a ZF system.
George E Walling

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#24 Post by Jim Clement »

I installed the TRW unit in my car, very dissipated.. it still leaks.. work just fun, but leaks..
when I went back to the supplier.. (not one of the usual's ) they told me.. ya.. they all leak..
I have found a very good early style vw that matches my car, and did a reseal on it, so it does not leak - the bearings appear to be good, and no play after adjustment.. so will put that back in the car shortly..
The original VW types are easy to rebuild if there is no play in them..

George Walling
356 Fan

#25 Post by George Walling »

Jim, Thanks might be I will be better off finding a early VW box that will fit my 55 speedster.
George E Walling

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#26 Post by Jim Clement »

If you find one that the only problem is that it leaks, that is easy to fix, the challenge is to find one that has not run out of its ability to be adjusted so there is no play in the worm drive.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#27 Post by Ron LaDow »

Bill Keyser wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:30 am Jack Walter, the spacer to lengthen the steering column what did you use to make it? Dis you use special longer nuts and bolts?
I know it's been some time since this thread was started, life makes some projects longer than others.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Bill
Bill,
The spacer is here, in red:
file.jpg
file.jpg (105.88 KiB) Viewed 312 times
The input shaft on the ZF 'box is shorter and requires the 'later' coupler for a proper fit. Jack added a piece of aluminum which was not really sized properly; you can see it deforming the 'earlier' disc coupler which is not conducive to long life. The resulting failure mode is downright dangerous; this is the system which you use to tell your car where YOU want it to go.
The 'later' coupler of the correct length available from several suppliers; as you might imagine, I tend to favor the Precision Matters part with the elastic parts captured inside metal discs rather than the metal parts captured by the elastic discs; ours is a fail-safe design.
8-15 002.JPG
8-15 002.JPG (2.58 MiB) Viewed 312 times
https://precisionmatters.biz/steering-coupler.php
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#28 Post by Norm Miller »

Jim,
They usually stop leaking when empty.
If it merely drips occasionally and makes a mess try this.
A sanitary napkin placed under the box in the corner of the diagonal frame will stay put and absorbs pretty well.
You don't have to change every month either. Mine has been in place for 10 years.