Speedster backrest?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Fred Otjen
356 Fan

Speedster backrest?

#1 Post by Fred Otjen »

Can an expert tell me if A speedsters came with a backrest? Or, could they have been ordered with one?

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: Speedster backrest?

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

You may be thinking of something like this fiberglass cover with headrest. Over the years there were several and probably still being made in the kit kar industry. AfAIK there was no such OE thing.
Attachments
cover1.jpg
cover1.jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 1505 times

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I think Fred is asking about a back seat backrest.

Bill Tate
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bill Tate »

Fred, My '58 Speedster, 83946, came with coupe seats, and the rear seat back rest among many options listed on my COA. The options installed but not listed are the clock and radio. Not many Speedsters were ordered from the factory so one loaded with factory options is rare. I make no claim as an expert but based on my COA it looks like the factory would sell you any option you were willing to pay for, even arm rests in a Speedster.
Bill Tate
Drive your Tub for improved mental health.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brad Ripley »

Agree, I was thinking HEAD rest. You need the C of A on your car to see what accessories or added features were on your car.

Fred Otjen
356 Fan

#6 Post by Fred Otjen »

Yes I was asking about a backrest for the back seat. Not so much to use as intended but as a way to level the area out to create a flat surface for hauling stuff. Not concerned with CoA options on this car.

So if someone has a back seat back rest, let me know please. Mine did come with coupe seats but they're long gone.

Thanks to all for your comments, much appreciated.

Bill Tate
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bill Tate »

Fred, I have my original rear seat backrest. What would you like to know about it? I would believe mine is the same as those used on coupes but have not checked any measurements. Adam Wright at UNOBTANIUM Inc. or another expert may be able to confirm that 356A Speedster and coupe backrests are the same.
Bill Tate

Tim Herman
356 Fan

#8 Post by Tim Herman »

fred otjen wrote:Can an expert tell me if A speedsters came with a backrest? Or, could they have been ordered with one?
There was a Speedster back/headrest available back in the day.
Tim Herman #2197
www.carreramotorsport.com

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Like in these pics I would guess. https://www.willswerks.com/for-sale
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#10 Post by Norm Miller »

Norm88.jpg
This one was of aluminum to cover the roll bar which became illegal so we scrapped it. (1963)
Attachments
Old B&W.jpg

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jules Dielen »

https://porsche356registry.org/classifieds/15341

this would be it Fred. Not a bad price either.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Brad Ripley »

Does anybody have documentation about the back rests being an option for Speedster, Conv D or Roadster?

Or Kardex / C o A ?

Bill Tate
356 Fan

#13 Post by Bill Tate »

My Speedster, 83946, has a factory rear seat backrest. Is was a Speedster option at least in the fall of '57. From the options on my Speedster I would say that any coupe option that could be useful on a Speedster could be ordered. All the options on 83946 are on the COA with the exception of the clock and radio. For example, I doubt that many Speedsters also have windshield washers as mine does. The 83946 backrest looks identical to the above photo with one exception. There is no cloth extension to extend to the rear. It is designed to easily be removed by extracting the two bolts on each end. My rear seat and back rest are covered with a T1 pleat pattern which I learned when I ordered T2 replacement covers from Auto International (never installed). My Speedster was delivered in November '57.
Bill Tate

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#14 Post by Brad Ripley »

Bill,

Sorry I missed your previous post stating the backrest is listed on the C of A of your car. Plus, I once had a Speedster with coupe seats, a windshield washer and a ashtray. I guess these items were "by request" and not a listed option in some brochure. It seems many 1958 Speedsters had Coupe seats.