Fog light switch 62 Roadster

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Roy Smalley
356 Fan

Fog light switch 62 Roadster

#1 Post by Roy Smalley »

Anyone have information/photo on the original location of the optional fog light switch location?

Not on Charlie's site.....
 Roy Smalley
Texas

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Fog light switch 62 Roadster

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Roy

I had a T-6 Roadster, 89758 with factory fog lights. I sold it about 10 years ago. The switch was above the ignition switch centered with the throttle cable knob. The four holes made square spacing. It was a hella switch, black knob with a yellow dot in the center that lit up, with the lights

The switch is similar to this one. I will look at the old computers and see if I can find a dash photo of the roadster. Last time I saw the car, it was at Gary Emory's in Oregon

This is 89795, with the fog light switch
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (22.79 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Last edited by John Brooks on Mon May 01, 2017 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Roy Smalley wrote:Anyone have information/photo on the original location of the optional fog light switch location?
Not on Charlie's site.....
I'm a tyro with regard to the search function but I think this has been the subject of several threads.
As I recall, Hans or Fritz drilled the hole in some sort of symmetry to the existing switches and within the range of the wire in the harness.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Tom Keating
356 Fan

#4 Post by Tom Keating »

Roy Lock did an article on fog switch in 356 Club mag . Page 48 Fall 2013. It has factory service bulletin #41/59 dated January 12 1960. I do not have a scanner to send it. It states "TO MOUNT SWITCH,A HOLE OF 5/16 DIA. MUST BE DRILLED THROUGH THE DASH ON THE SAME LEVEL LEFT OF THE IGNITION SWITCH AT A CENTER DISTANCE OF APPROX. 1 9/16" This does not seem to be correct as fog switch is not normally near ignition. It is usually mounted near top of an instrument . Hope this helps.
Tom Keating
1964 356C Sunroof

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

I have from Roy Lock a copy of a SERVICE BULLETIN as follows:

Service Bulletin - all Dealers No. F 1/62 abroad
Vehicle Type: 356 B
Effective: immediately

"When installing the pull switch, spare part No. 644.613.501.01, for fog lamps which is located above the ignition/starter switch,"

On another sheet Roy added the following: "In 1962 with the introduction of the T6 356B, Porsche did an end around for another location. The second Service Bulletin, F01/62 says the switch is above and not to the left of the ignition switch. At some point the factory switched. The first bulletin was issued in 1960,which put it firmly in the T5 era. The second bulletin was issued in 1962 which put it in the T6 era.

Now the disclaimer, this was only a guide to help local dealership mechanics locate and install the fog light system. "

Jeff
NOTE: The paragraph above beginning with "Now the disclaimer ... " are Roy's words, not mine everything within the quote marks is taken from Roy's accompanying notes to the Service Bulletin
(Edited once for clarification)
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Don't forget that the roadster ignition switch was to the right of the steering column.
So don't make too man assumptions unless the bulletins refer specifically to roadsters.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Brooks »

The photo of the T-6 I posted shows the switch if you zoom in on it. Above the ignition switch left of the throttle cable.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Roy Smalley »

John Brooks wrote:The photo of the T-6 I posted shows the switch if you zoom in on it. Above the ignition switch left of the throttle cable.
Thanks to all, just got back to the post. The throttle is directly to the right of the ignition switch and per the photo, the fog light switch is directly above the ignition switch. Rare option on a 62 I expect. On this one in particular they replaced the throttle pull with the fog light switch. Nice car by the way. Interesting as to the location of the outside mirror.

We will miss old Roy Lock as time goes by, gone too soon.
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#9 Post by Edwin Ek »

I have a T-6 Roadster. Isn't the answer simply that the fog-light switch makes the fourth corner of a rectangle? The three other corners are the ignition switch, hand throttle, and headlight switch.

I have an original fog-light switch with spade connectors (correct for C cars). Would like to trade for original with screw connectors (correct for B cars).