The Rudge Quest

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Clarke
356 Fan

Re: The Rudge Quest

#16 Post by John Clarke »

Your car looks great Vince.
These wheels are 'Knock Off' yes? Not familiar with the Rudges, but what stops them easily being knocked off?
That is stolen! being so valuable.
Cheers Jay

VinceFinaldi
356 Fan

#17 Post by VinceFinaldi »

Thanks Dick!
John, nothing really. Just parking in the right spots and keeping an eye on her. Most people wouldn't know what they are really.

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#18 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Question:-
Are Rudge wheels (or their facsimiles) for most 356 adaptations truly only for "bling" adornment - relative to race cars with quick change wheel/tire requirements - with no practical benefit relative to stock 356 wheels other than visual??

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#19 Post by Ron LaDow »

Wil Mittelbach wrote:Question:-
Are Rudge wheels (or their facsimiles) for most 356 adaptations truly only for "bling" adornment - relative to race cars with quick change wheel/tire requirements - with no practical benefit relative to stock 356 wheels other than visual??
Wil, I am an absolute supporter of the market in any good; if the market values that higher (in money) than I do, I am wrong.
So to re-phrase your question:
1) Will those wheels improve the cornering ability of your 356? Absolutely not.
2) Would they have helped Porsche win races when they were introduced? Can't tell; takes some race analysis. The early '50s Blue Crown cars proved to the Indy crowd you could win races by avoiding pit stops with less horsepower; the Rudge wheels may have speeded up the Porsche pit stops enough to do the same.
3) Are they worth the money? Yes, they are. You may call it bling, but you paid far more for the diamond on your wife's ring than you do for the water you drink (economists' idiomatic example of "value").
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#20 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Ron -
Pls note my comment is in relation to 356 adornment, relative to race car quick wheel/tire exchange requirements during race competitions.
Carry on,
- Wil

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Anyone try the new reproductions? http://www.stoddard.com/644-68-010-set.html
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#22 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote:Anyone try the new reproductions? http://www.stoddard.com/644-68-010-set.html
You still have to get drums made, which will set you back another $3000-5000. I haven't seen these up close but will probably check them out when I'm there for the swap meet on June 3rd, hope to see everyone there, Stoddard is a good swap.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#23 Post by Dick Roth »

The Stoddard's look great, and I assume they come from the German company "German Rudge Wheels." I examined them closely in Anaheim two years ago, and they are spot on. Remember that all Factory Rudge wheels were chromed, but the painted ones are so much more understated (!) and cool looking, and the centers can be painted body color, which is beautiful too. Mercedes 300SL Rudge wheels were painted for the most part.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#24 Post by Adam Wright »

The work has begun, they are starting to look good again.
Attachments
IMG_5860.JPG
IMG_5859.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

David Foster
356 Fan

#25 Post by David Foster »

To my mind the perforations around the rim look different to an original set ? Has any one compared them side by side ?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#26 Post by Adam Wright »

David Foster wrote:To my mind the perforations around the rim look different to an original set ? Has any one compared them side by side ?
Do you mean the reproductions?
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#27 Post by Adam Wright »

I just got the drums back from Martin at The Machine Shop and they look great. Can't wait to get them on the car.
Attachments
rudgefinal2.JPG
rudgefinal1.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#28 Post by Edwin Ek »

Adam, your drum in the top left corner is different than the other three. Is that a converted standard drum or ... ?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#29 Post by Adam Wright »

Edwin Ek wrote:Adam, your drum in the top left corner is different than the other three. Is that a converted standard drum or ... ?
All 4 were machined by Martin at The Machine Shop in Colorado. I had 3 original hubs but the drums were destroyed, so I sent him a huge pile of drums and he picked out the best ones to make into Rudge drums. The good news is it makes them essentially new, with all new hardware. I would prefer this over 60 year hardware and drums.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Ross Copeland
356 Fan

#30 Post by Ross Copeland »

I have a set of 5 date 1958 matched Rudges. Owned them for 15 years and picked them up for not much money in the day and put them on my 56 speedster- they looked amazing and drive great. When the speedster was sold I had the good sense to keep the wheels. They are wearing original chrome which is pitted and discoloured. Ive had them crack tested and there are no issues. So I wish to get them on a car again. My conundrum is Id like to put them on a 59 Sunroof Im restoring to a high level. Can Rudges be rechromed without removing the cold rivets? I suspect not but welcome some advice. Ross