The Rudge Quest

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Trevor Gates
356 Fan

Re: The Rudge Quest

#31 Post by Trevor Gates »

Edwin - I don't know if Adam, exactly answered your question. The drum in his picture in the top left is the original Rudge drum, the other three are standard B drums that have been converted to Rudge style by having the Rudge Hub riveted to the drum and the lug bolt holes welded up. A VERY smart and economical thing to do! (Insert happy clapping emoji here) to Martin & Adam!

Ross - I have a set for sale right now, that could use a re-chroming if to be brought up to full Concours standards. My understanding is that the answer to your question is no, the wheels cannot be re-chromed without separating the centers from the barrel/hoop.
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#32 Post by Adam Wright »

Trevor Gates wrote:Edwin - I don't know if Adam, exactly answered your question. The drum in his picture in the top left is the original Rudge drum, the other three are standard B drums that have been converted to Rudge style by having the Rudge Hub riveted to the drum and the lug bolt holes welded up. A VERY smart and economical thing to do! (Insert happy clapping emoji here) to Martin & Adam!

Ross - I have a set for sale right now, that could use a re-chroming if to be brought up to full Concours standards. My understanding is that the answer to your question is no, the wheels cannot be re-chromed without separating the centers from the barrel/hoop.
Actually no, there are all 4 made out of standard drums. The two original ones I had were deemed un-usable. But they will make good wall hangings!
Attachments
rudgedrums.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#33 Post by Jules Dielen »

Ross if you need A rudge drums i can help. I have a set (originals, not repops). I also have other rudge spares with excellent original chrome and a bunch of NOS wheel hubs. (SHAMELESS plug)
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#34 Post by Brad Ripley »

Now that Jules broke the ice with a Shameless Plug ---- If you want a nice set (five wheels), I can help also. I have for sale a complete set all originals: wheels, drums, hubs, spinner nuts -- all in very good condition. In fact you can road test them! because they are all on a restored 1955 Continental Coupe - sun roof, Telefunken, Azure Blue, etc.; engine is an SC. You have to buy the car to get the wheels!

Ross Copeland
356 Fan

#35 Post by Ross Copeland »

ThanksJules and Brad for your generous offers - I however already have the full set of drums , wheels , hubs and spinners

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#36 Post by Trevor Gates »

Adam Wright wrote:
Trevor Gates wrote:Edwin - I don't know if Adam, exactly answered your question. The drum in his picture in the top left is the original Rudge drum, the other three are standard B drums that have been converted to Rudge style by having the Rudge Hub riveted to the drum and the lug bolt holes welded up. A VERY smart and economical thing to do! (Insert happy clapping emoji here) to Martin & Adam!

Actually no, there are all 4 made out of standard drums. The two original ones I had were deemed un-usable. But they will make good wall hangings!
I didn't zoom in on the pic, now that I have I can see where he welded up the holes to the drum in the top left corner. Out of curiously, why didn't you have him mill the other three drums to match the top left one?

Nice garage art.
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Ross Copeland
356 Fan

#37 Post by Ross Copeland »

Trevor Gates wrote: Ross - I have a set for sale right now, that could use a re-chroming if to be brought up to full Concours standards. My understanding is that the answer to your question is no, the wheels cannot be re-chromed without separating the centers from the barrel/hoop.
So I have 3 options:
1) Rather than rechrome - paint them like the Rudges on early Merc Gullwings. ( Heresy?)
2) Rechrome- a local aviation engineering firm confirm they cold rivet aircraft wheels and could do this work on Rudges- but its not without risk. Expensive too
3) Do nothing- use them and enjoy them as is- patina seems to be the new "black" in classic car community .

OPtion 3 seems the sensible path forward :)

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#38 Post by Adam Wright »

Ross Copeland wrote:
Trevor Gates wrote: Ross - I have a set for sale right now, that could use a re-chroming if to be brought up to full Concours standards. My understanding is that the answer to your question is no, the wheels cannot be re-chromed without separating the centers from the barrel/hoop.
So I have 3 options:
1) Rather than rechrome - paint them like the Rudges on early Merc Gullwings. ( Heresy?)
2) Rechrome- a local aviation engineering firm confirm they cold rivet aircraft wheels and could do this work on Rudges- but its not without risk. Expensive too
3) Do nothing- use them and enjoy them as is- patina seems to be the new "black" in classic car community .

OPtion 3 seems the sensible path forward :)
I'm leaving mine un-restored. But painted they look nice. The last set I sold were painted when restored.
Attachments
fred-rudge.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#39 Post by Edwin Ek »

What's up with Freddy? He hasn't been around here much.

Ross Copeland
356 Fan

#40 Post by Ross Copeland »

They look very cool in paint Adam- thanks for posting- wonder if 356 Rudges were ever painted in period to match body color - like Merc 300SLs

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#41 Post by Adam Wright »

I heard from him a few weeks ago.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#42 Post by Adam Wright »

So the wheels are on, just in time for the open house!
Attachments
oncar1.JPG
oncar2.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#43 Post by Jules Dielen »

that looks good A!

Brad, do I get the wheels for free if i buy the 55???
Jules

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#44 Post by Edwin Ek »

Adam,

Congrats, they look sharp! Interested to hear your thoughts about the change in steering feel and handling with the Rudges.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#45 Post by Jules Dielen »

Yes, leave it to porsche to install the heaviest wheel they ever offered on race cars. 24lbs per.. and that does not include the hub
Jules