Maximum rear wheel width Speedster?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Maximum rear wheel width Speedster?

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi all,
What is the widest rear wheel for '58 Speedster with original metal body work back there?
I have 15x6" Fuchs with perhaps 1/2" spacers on disc brakes with flared fenders.
If I put fenders back to original and remove the wheel spacers can my deep dish 6" wheels still make clearance?
Seems like some guys go to 5.5" max in the back. What about tire profiles etc?
Thank you,
Steve

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

Re: Maximum rear wheel width Speedster?

#2 Post by Tom Tate »

84354 still has stock rear fenders and the widest rim I've used is 5 1/2. With a 205/50X15 or a 205/60X15 tire there is just enough room to slide a piece of paper between the tire and fender on the left side and a small finger between the two on the right side. You did know that these cars were not perfectly symmetrical, right?
Attachments
Knock off wheels 005.jpg
2016 Parade Autocross. 2.jpg

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Raucher »

Thanks for that info Tom. I figured 5.5" at back was the max width. 6" in front still works. Anyway let's talk about your spare tire and area it sits in. I use the red Optima 3 cell battery that sits at an angle and does not fit into the opening for the square stock battery.
If I get say an Interstate 19L battery it would fit correctly but it is not the dry cell type we all like.Then I would have more room for a 5.5 spare I think. What size spare wheel and tire do you have? I'd like to put a 5.5" spare in but it may not fit with optima battery especially with a tire too big.Don't want to bend the hood. What tire size is safe to use? I know my 4.5" spare fits.
Any others that can chime in regarding 356A spare area is welcomed.
KTF,
Steve
'5/2/58 Speedster.

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#4 Post by Tom Tate »

I have never been able to get anything other than a 4 1/2" rim to fit up front. I got the original rims and tires for my car when I bought it in '76 with 29k on it so I put one of those 560X15 tires up front. I wouldn't drive around the block on it but people like to see what the cars came with back in the day. The photos above show the car with a set of 5 1/2 X 15" aftermarket chrome rims with Fudge Rudges and a set of Eagle Alloys in the same size.
I would think that the 6" on the front would rub on the inside on slow turns and make steering pretty heavy. Besides, for balance you would want the wider rim on the rear where the weight is anyway.
Reminds me of the two kids that showed up years ago at an Autocross with a modified Sunbeam Tiger. They couldn't get the front to turn in due to lack of grip so they swapped the tires and put the 8" rears on the front and the 6" fronts on the rear. The fronts stuck great and the rears just pivoted around them with clouds of smoke. A real crowd pleaser.

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Raucher »

So I got new 5.5" chrome steel wheels for Speedster. Fellow club member wants to buy my 6" Fuchs to go on his Outlaw A Coupe with stock wheel wells. Will the 6" Fuchs fit and clear everything on this car especially the rear?
Regards,
Steve

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jim Karaba »

Does he have disc brakes too?

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Raucher »

Jim,
Yes ACoupe has disc brakes.
Steve

George Walling
356 Fan

#8 Post by George Walling »

I'm not sure but I have the 4.5 X 15 wheels with the 165 X 80 tires and I have plenty of room front and rear but to get them in on the car I have to deflate the rears to clear the fender lip and the drum and after getting them mounted I inflate them. my speedster is a pre a 1955. I have had the 165 X 15 back in the day and still had to do this. the 165 X 80 would not go into the spare tire space so I carry a old 165 X 15 for a spare. The car original wheels were of course 16" so this may not apply to a later model speedster as I believe the later ones came with 15 from the factory. Hope this helps.

George
George E Walling