Another VW Owner in his first 356

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jacin Ferreira
356 Fan

Re: Another VW Owner in his first 356

#31 Post by Jacin Ferreira »

Hey Guys.. I need a bit of help here and I've gone through everything I could think of right now.

I ended up picking up the Stainless Abarth muffler from Concept1.. I installed it last night and it looks fantastic. I haven't driven the car in over a week due to rain and installing a rebuilt fuel pump from Stoddard's.

I was driving the car to work this morning when about 3 miles into the drive it felt like I ran out of gas.. so I pulled off the road and started to take a look. Car would turn and begin to start and then stop. Over and over. I had it towed home on a flat bed and started troubleshooting things.

Spark - yes
Points are good
Carbs are squirting gas when I pull the throttle

I put my original fuel pump back in and just started it up again.. and it started for a few seconds and is backfiring and then dying. Not sure where to go from here.

Any suggestions on what to look at next?
1954 Volkswagen Kombi - Dove Blue
1957 Porsche 356a Coupe - Silver w/Red Upholstery
1962 Volkswagen 1500 Sedan - Pearl White
1963 Volkswagen Beetle - Turquiose
1970 Volkswagen Westfalia

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#32 Post by David Jones »

Sounds like it is running on the fuel you are pumping in from the accelerator pumps. I suggest pulling the main and idle jets and making sure they are clear. What carbs do you have?
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jacin Ferreira
356 Fan

#33 Post by Jacin Ferreira »

David Jones wrote:Sounds like it is running on the fuel you are pumping in from the accelerator pumps. I suggest pulling the main and idle jets and making sure they are clear. What carbs do you have?
Solved this tonight. I had picked up a set of the Vintage Speed mesh aircleaners for the Weber 40 IDF's I have.. They were restricting the airflow into the carbs. Putting back on the ugly Weber aircleaners for now and it's running much better!

Jacin Ferreira
356 Fan

#34 Post by Jacin Ferreira »

Is anybody making adjustable spring plates for the 356a? I see Elephant Racing has them listed on their site but it says N/A when trying to place an order:
http://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/3 ... t-for-356/