Front Axle Seals

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric McKinley
356 Fan

Re: Front Axle Seals

#16 Post by Eric McKinley »

Sorry Bill,

Was rushing out the door earlier whilst doing this, taking my son to a university induction and trying to do 2 things at once, never works very well for me.

Glad you got it sorted.

Al Zim
356 Fan

Re: Front Axle Seals

#17 Post by Al Zim »

There three situations that you will need to address which are manifest by the brass that is located on the head of the link pin. If only one link pin has brass on it, the all you have to do is machine the bushing on a lathe for clearance how lucky you are! How much machining you will have to do depends on the crush of the opening in the C carrier. If both link pins have brass then something is bent. With the bushings out, the offset of the carrier should be checked with the VW 259 measuring tool as outlined in the shop manual. Finally you should remove the trailing arms since only 3 fasteners hold them in and check them with the P70 tool. I would bet that the lower trailing arm is bent. Consider yourself lucky that the spindle and king pin area are not bent. No matter what you do to put this together if the steering and suspension parts are bent they will always be in a bind. If you are unable to find parts, Zim's is starting to produce front suspension parts. We are not producing 356C spindles. From about 1959 on VW trailing arms are slightly different than what Porsche was using. al zim Zim's Autotechnik 800.356.2964
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/