Heidi and Franny's Garage

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Toby Brown
356 Fan

Re: Heidi and Franny's Garage

#31 Post by Toby Brown »

Heidi and Franny are doing a fabulous job with their videos. As a long time Porsche owner and new 356 owner, Franny has already taught me so much. Their photography, especially the new drone shots, is fantastic and I greatly appreciate their generosity in sharing their knowledge.

Heidi Frances
356 Fan

#32 Post by Heidi Frances »

Hi All, thank you again for all your nice compliments to our channel. Please be sure to subscribe to our channel. It will help you to get notified and the more that YouTube notices our content, the more we can produce for you. Glad you have enjoyed the 356 content. We will keep bringing more of it to you. Heidi and Franny

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#33 Post by Alex Mestas »

It’s great viewing Franny! Great content. I’m subscribed!
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Heidi Frances
356 Fan

#34 Post by Heidi Frances »

Thanks!

Al Zim
356 Fan

#35 Post by Al Zim »

NO AND NO AND NO! Major activities that were not done correctly! the most important is that the wheel cylinders were not honed therefore they are slick and the rubber cup will not seal properly. Brake shoes The shoe that was replaced is an ASCO shoe the shoe on the bottom is a Porsche factory shoe. The spline on the ASCO shoe is not always perpendicular to the part that holds the brake shoe. The brake shoe material is different on the two different brands of shoes so one side of the car may stop differently that the other (IMPORTANT). FINALLY AND MOST IMPORTANT IS THAT THE BRAKE SHOE MATERIAL IS ALMOST WORN OUT. Bleeding the brakes you should always bleed the brakes from the closest to the master cylinder to the farthest that insures that fluid has no opportunity to pick up air. Wheel bearings this car is equipped with roller bearings which were used on VW's roller bearings are available as used on the 1959 and later cars use these. No grease was put in the bearings! Grease packed in the bearing lubricates the roller/balls. No new wheel seals were used. This is really a cheap part. In our brake service we replace ALL the hardware it has been 57 years since the last drum brake car was manufactured by Porsche. Other points. The women do not repair cars for a living their garage is for car storage of their cars. Another quick look at the open car reveals it has not been greased in a long time (time for a front end rebuild) and the brake hoses look very old. All cars that have brake service at Zim's leave with a dual master cylinder. Repairing cars ASSUMES that the technician/shop will shoulder the liability of his/their activities. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jason Laster
356 Fan

#36 Post by Jason Laster »

Al Zim wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:48 pm Bleeding the brakes you should always bleed the brakes from the closest to the master cylinder to the farthest that insures that fluid has no opportunity to pick up air.
Posting for the first time in a forum, it's usually bad form to come in and question an active member. Yet here we are..... I have always been told to bleed any hydraulic brake system from furthest to the closest. I was curious if I was just incorrect, but consulted multiple printed books I have (Bentley VW -62 / 911 service manual / MB Technical companion). All recommended furthest to the closest, so if I'm crazy, that's not the reason why. Al, why do you suggest the opposite?
1963 Porsche 356B
1989 Porsche 964 Carrera 4
1962 VW 15 Window Deluxe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#37 Post by David Jones »

Jason, you are correct but be aware that on a 356 be it RHD or LHD the wheel cylinder furthest from the MC is the left rear because the line splits on the right side of the trans so the longest run is always to the left hand rear wheel.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#38 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Al Zim wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:48 pm NO AND NO AND NO! Major activities that were not done correctly! the most important is that the wheel cylinders were not honed therefore they are slick and the rubber cup will not seal properly. Brake shoes The shoe that was replaced is an ASCO shoe the shoe on the bottom is a Porsche factory shoe. The spline on the ASCO shoe is not always perpendicular to the part that holds the brake shoe. The brake shoe material is different on the two different brands of shoes so one side of the car may stop differently that the other (IMPORTANT). FINALLY AND MOST IMPORTANT IS THAT THE BRAKE SHOE MATERIAL IS ALMOST WORN OUT. Bleeding the brakes you should always bleed the brakes from the closest to the master cylinder to the farthest that insures that fluid has no opportunity to pick up air. Wheel bearings this car is equipped with roller bearings which were used on VW's roller bearings are available as used on the 1959 and later cars use these. No grease was put in the bearings! Grease packed in the bearing lubricates the roller/balls. No new wheel seals were used. This is really a cheap part. In our brake service we replace ALL the hardware it has been 57 years since the last drum brake car was manufactured by Porsche. Other points. The women do not repair cars for a living their garage is for car storage of their cars. Another quick look at the open car reveals it has not been greased in a long time (time for a front end rebuild) and the brake hoses look very old. All cars that have brake service at Zim's leave with a dual master cylinder. Repairing cars ASSUMES that the technician/shop will shoulder the liability of his/their activities. al zim
Thanks Al, as always your comments are as kind and subtle as an anvil falling on one's head. The best way I know to douse someone's enthusiasm is to address them in this manner. Zero stars!

The best part of this whole kerfuffle is the email that Al sent to me earlier today.

Al Zim belched the following email to me:

"I am MOST DISAPPOINTED in your endorsement of this post. These women are
not in the car repair business! their garage is merely a storage place for
their cars. Your endorsement of this post as a member of the hierarchy of
the registry is truly malfeasance of your position. Not only do I think
that you owe the members a written apology for this gross inaccuracy but
you should completely refrain from giving advice about repairs to anything
that you have no experience for. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?
al zim"

1) "These women" are members of our club and deserve thanks, kudos and respect for taking this on. You could be a little kinder in your tone but I don't want to lecture you. I always like to be the teacher when I know something could be different/better rather than criticize. Criticizing is easy (anyone can do it), teaching is not.

2) Great to know I am in the hierarchy around here, has anyone notified the board yet? Let me know when the Hall of Fame is ready for me, I've got room on my shelf for that trophy :-)

3) "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?" I was thinking about how cool this whole undertaking was and if they needed some correction and guidance along the way that we, as a group, would do so with tact and dignity. Oh well, too late for that.

Al, you're aces in my book!!!!! :?
Last edited by Sebastian Gaeta on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#39 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Sebastian Gaeta wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:04 pm
Al Zim wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:48 pm NO AND NO AND NO! Major activities that were not done correctly! the most important is that the wheel cylinders were not honed therefore they are slick and the rubber cup will not seal properly. Brake shoes The shoe that was replaced is an ASCO shoe the shoe on the bottom is a Porsche factory shoe. The spline on the ASCO shoe is not always perpendicular to the part that holds the brake shoe. The brake shoe material is different on the two different brands of shoes so one side of the car may stop differently that the other (IMPORTANT). FINALLY AND MOST IMPORTANT IS THAT THE BRAKE SHOE MATERIAL IS ALMOST WORN OUT. Bleeding the brakes you should always bleed the brakes from the closest to the master cylinder to the farthest that insures that fluid has no opportunity to pick up air. Wheel bearings this car is equipped with roller bearings which were used on VW's roller bearings are available as used on the 1959 and later cars use these. No grease was put in the bearings! Grease packed in the bearing lubricates the roller/balls. No new wheel seals were used. This is really a cheap part. In our brake service we replace ALL the hardware it has been 57 years since the last drum brake car was manufactured by Porsche. Other points. The women do not repair cars for a living their garage is for car storage of their cars. Another quick look at the open car reveals it has not been greased in a long time (time for a front end rebuild) and the brake hoses look very old. All cars that have brake service at Zim's leave with a dual master cylinder. Repairing cars ASSUMES that the technician/shop will shoulder the liability of his/their activities. al zim
Thanks Al, as always your comments are as kind and subtle as an anvil falling on one's head. The best way I know to douse someone' enthusiasm is to address them in this manner. Zero stars!

The best part of this whole kerfuffle is the email that Al sent to me earlier today.

Al Zim belched the following email to me:

"I am MOST DISAPPOINTED in your endorsement of this post. These women are
not in the car repair business! their garage is merely a storage place for
their cars. Your endorsement of this post as a member of the hierarchy of
the registry is truly malfeasance of your position. Not only do I think
that you owe the members a written apology for this gross inaccuracy but
you should completely refrain from giving advice about repairs to anything
that you have no experience for. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?
al zim"

1) "These women" are members of our club and deserve thanks, kudos and respect for taking this on. You could be a little kinder in your tone but I don't want to lecture you. I always like to be the teacher when I know something could be different/better rather than criticize. Criticizing is easy (anyone can do it), teaching is not.

2) Great to know I am in the hierarchy around here, has anyone notified the board yet? Let me know when the Hall of Fame is ready for me, I've got room on my shelf for that trophy :-)

3) "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?" I was thinking about how cool this whole undertaking was and if they needed some correction and guidance along the way that we, as a group, would do so with tact an dignity. Oh well, too late for that.

Al, you're aces in my book!!!!! :?

Thanks, Sebastian; that was a great retort. If I mention Al's meds again I'll get my pee-pee slapped by the moderators, so I won't mention it. OOPS!

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#40 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Edit:

In deference to Bill Oldham's comments I have deleted this post. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Last edited by Sebastian Gaeta on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#41 Post by Alex Mestas »

THANK YOU Sebastian !!

I totally agree with your assessment of Mr. Zim’s criticism of Franny & Heidi’s garage videos.

What Franny & Heidi’s videos have presented is no different than the advice and procedures that we share with each other on this forum on a regular basis but in a visual format.

UTube allows feedback and comments so that if Mr Zim saw something that he felt “compelled” or that needed his “expert” opinion he could comment on that forum constructively.

Many enjoy watching the videos . They motivate 356 enthusiast to work on their own cars. Something that Mr. Zim obviously finds disturbing.

To criticize is simple. To give constructive feedback takes talent which seems to be lacking in his response.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#42 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Alex Mestas wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:30 pm THANK YOU Sebastian !!

I totally agree with your assessment of Mr. Zim’s criticism of Franny & Heidi’s garage videos.

What Franny & Heidi’s videos have presented is no different than the advice and procedures that we share with each other on this forum on a regular basis but in a visual format.

UTube allows feedback and comments so that if Mr Zim saw something that he felt “compelled” or that needed his “expert” opinion he could comment on that forum constructively.

Many enjoy watching the videos . They motivate 356 enthusiast to work on their own cars. Something that Mr. Zim obviously finds disturbing.

To criticize is simple. To give constructive feedback takes talent which seems to be lacking in his response.

Alex,

+1,000,000
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#43 Post by Bill Oldham »

I agree that Heidi and Franny's garage is a wonderful and significant addition to our registry lore. And I agree that no-one should be rude or patronizing; something that should be pointed out to Al. Hopefully there will be an apology coming. But lets not, in our indignity, make the same mistake and be rude or patronizing to Al. He is a genuine 356 guru, with his own opinions and experiences, and his participation is valuable. Can we model some good behavior for Al?
Lets get this topic back to contributions and feedback to Heidi and Franny and their great show.
Bill

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#44 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Bill,

I deleted my second post, thanks for your comments about not making the same mistake.

I do, however, feel it is appropriate to keep my original post intact. He may be a longtime 356 contributor but his regular boorish comments on the forum and several odd emails sent my way over the years are getting old. If I knew of a way to put a forum poster on ignore or I knew how to block his particular emails from getting to me through the Registry site I would have done that long ago and none of this would be happening. I've simply decided to post them here whenever he does it. Perhaps seeing them on the forum will make him realize how creepy they are and he'll just leave me alone.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#45 Post by Mike Wilson »

May I respectfully request this thread be locked? Seems like we are beating the proverbial dead horse, figuratively of course!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe