K & N Filters

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric McKinley
356 Fan

Re: K & N Filters

#16 Post by Eric McKinley »

I am just getting around to this job now.

Martin gave me some good advise and the plastic 90 degree bend for the K&N filter.

I am however also considering the use of the original metal pipe that is bolted onto the top of the original solex filters. Has anyone placed one of these pipes onto the top of the K&N filter. Is there room for it, the K&N has a screw right in the centre of the top plate which may be in the way.

My second question is in relation to the oil filler, I notice that some fillers have a smaller metal tube which is bend downwards just underneath the other slightly larger outlet. On the oil filler I have I only have the larger one, can anyone offer advise what the smaller secondary tube is for.

I have included a picture I found on line which shows it well.
Attachments
image.png

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#17 Post by Phil Planck »

Eric
That is a 912 filler. Bottom tube connects to vent hole in cylinder head.
Phil Planck

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#18 Post by Eric McKinley »

Phil,

Thank you for the reply, so the filler with the extra tube is a 912 filler.
The engine I have is a 912 engine which is going into a 356c.
The filler I have does not have that extra tube, maybe swapped out at some point during the course of its life. Do you think I should have this type of filler.
There were other parts on my engine such as valve covers which were incorrect, I swapped these out for the correct unvented ones.

Interested to hear about the venting if anyone has advise.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#19 Post by Phil Planck »

You can plug the holes in the 912 head several ways and use vented valve covers, or use the non vented covers and hook up the 912 system. Lots of topics on the 912 bbs. Here is one:

http://www.912bbs.org/vb/showthread.php ... =Head+vent
Phil Planck

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#20 Post by Eric McKinley »

Thanks again Phil.

Right, I have a 912 engine going into a C car.

I have non vented valve covers and an oil filler with only a top pipe, not the lower pipe.

The question is, would venting this to the right air filter be enough and has anyone done this using the original metal pipe and flexible hose going to a K&N filter.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#21 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Hi Eric,

Before I switched to stock Knecht Solex filters, I used the K&Ns on my car with the proper tube and elbow in the top of the filter. Here's a couple pics:

As bought:

PO used a 912 can vented to cleaner and a hose venting down to the ground (not the crankcase)

Modified with correct filler can and hose (sorry can't direct post the Instagram image so you have to click):

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf6fPeHFSNZ ... =seanrooks

Instead of mounting the elbow to the air cleaner bolt, my previous owner used a sheet metal screw. The filter top had a hole drilled and fitted with the factory grommet.

Hope that helps.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#22 Post by Eric McKinley »

Thanks Sean, that was exactly what I was looking for.

If anyone has a spare small metal pipe that goes into the carb that they would like to sell please get in touch.