T-6 seat, headrest mount placement

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#1 Post by Tom Wavrin »

I would very much appreciate the approximate measurement for the placement of the headrest bracket mounts on the seat backs.
From the sides and from the seat top. Thank you.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: T-6 seat, headrest mount placement

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Tom, you should be able to feel the tabs for the headrest brackets. I used a small pin to locat tge screw holes. I'd give you measurements but my car is in final reassembly offsite. I think you might be able to Google the topic as well.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Tom: Google "installing 356 Porsche head rests".
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brad Ripley »

Right there in your Workshop Manual, last page
Attachments
Headrest instructions.jpg

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Brad and Mike:
I had never seen the headrest page in my work manual - thanks, Brad!
I also did the google search and found the link to the the Rivnut method of securing the mounting brackets. I like the idea but not the look.

I had traded a bunch of parts from past restorations that I no longer needed for this pair of headrests. I had leftover leather and thought I might install them after re-chroming the brackets. The mounts are in excellent shape. The screws are in good shape, too, but can't verify they are original ones. Will see if I'm brave enough to proceed with drilling the tabs...

Thanks for your help.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

The holes in the brackets are not threaded but are to accept a sheet metal screw. A DIN 7973 is a sheet metal screw.

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#7 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Brad is saying put away the drill. The holes are already there.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

Brad and Robert are correct; the holes are already there. If the seats were going to be recovered, another option is to weld hex nuts to the bracket and use oval head machine screws rather than sheet metal screws as they are a bit more secure. Also, gussets can be welded to the tabs to strengthen them. But remember, they are head rests, not head restraints.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#9 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Were the headrest bracket mounting screws used by the factory in 1962 a slotted or Phillips head? Thanks!
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#10 Post by Brad Ripley »

See and read parts list above. Then, go to: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=DIN+7973&*

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#11 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Brad, thank you for the information and the links. Exactly the details I needed.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Fred Otjen
356 Fan

#12 Post by Fred Otjen »

I’m tired of poking pins in the seat back Uphostery. Con someone send a picture of where the holes are? Factory drawing is not helpful.

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#13 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Fred, I placed the headrests over the seat to get a gross idea of where the tabs were located. I was able to feel them under the upholstery and I placed a wide piece of masking tape over the area of each tab. I then estimated and marked the tab edges on the bottom and sides and marked the estimated location of each hole by using the measurements in the above diagram provided by Brad Ripley. The A and B measurements first and then confirmed with C. When you find the first hole with the pin, you can use the bracket to see if the other mark on the tape is under the other hole in the bracket and start there with the next pin.
After locating each hole the pins were inserted so they were perpendicular to the tab. I then placed the bracket over the pins to confirm fitment. I then partly screwed in each screw at each pin location. I finished the installation of the brackets with one screw removed at a time.

Rather than punching several holes, I inserted the needle once and fished around until I located the hole in the tab (A technique I learned when I was trained to get arterial blood gases decades ago - sorry for the visual). I had to do this maybe only a couple of times - the others worked first time.

It is possible that the bracket may have been pushed inward at some point in the past which would make locating the holes somewhat more difficult. I had this issue with the last bracket. I was finally able to get the screws inserted enough to pull on the bracket and get the tab moved in the correct orientation.
I hope this makes sense. Happy New Year, Fred.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Fred Otjen
356 Fan

#14 Post by Fred Otjen »

Tom, thank you for the detailed instructions. I’ve tried most of the techniques but will keep at it. Kardex says it came with them but PO left them off after seats reupholstered .

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#15 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Fred, can you feel where the tabs are? Have to know their location. Wish I could help you but don’t know when I’ll be in PDX again. Haven’t seen the grandkids for months.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT