Carb Manifolds- How do I brighten up?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Michael Foster
356 Fan

Re: Carb Manifolds- How do I brighten up?

#16 Post by Michael Foster »

Joris Koning wrote:Watch one of my upcoming 4-cam forums for a discussion with regard to case detailing and aluminum cleaning. There are several options. As with most things in life there is no silver bullet when it comes to detailing alu parts
Joris, read your article on case cleaning. Thanks for investigating and taking the time to provide us with your findings.
Took 2 912 cases to local vapor honing facility for cleaning. Where do you get the oil gallery plugs for replacement after removal and ultrasonic cleaning? Manufactured or are you using pipe threaded type plugs?

Michael Foster
MICHAEL FOSTER

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#17 Post by Joris Koning »

Mike, I get them from a nice little plastic bag that reads Porsche on it and has an old part number tag. You had the opportunity to beat me to these at Gary's :-)

On a serious note, I indeed use NOS ones from a stash I have. However these are super easy to make on a lathe if you do not have any. The other option is the threading and using a pipe plug. Probably the better way but I prefer to keep things looking original.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Marc Allingham
356 Fan

#18 Post by Marc Allingham »

Here's a little trick proven to brighten aluminum using household peroxide and baking soda. Example in photo took three applications ... about 15-20 mins.

1) Degrease parts using dish detergent (some degreasers like Simple Green will turn alloys dark)
2) Rinse surface with water
3) Combine hydrogen peroxide and Arm & Hammer baking soda to make a thick paste
4) Apply paste to aluminum parts and work aggressively with stiff vinyl brush. You should see results within a few minutes. Several applications may be needed
5) Rinse with water. Clean and dry to prevent water marks
6) Redo any areas that you may have missed
Attachments
3p1.png
3p2.png
3p6.png
3p7.png
Marc A.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#19 Post by Al Zim »

We have a huge ultrasonic cleaner and a aluminum as well as a steel tumbler. Unfortunately our minimum charge for cleaning is $35.00. Gather up a bunch of stuff and make it worth your while. We do not tumble engine cases. al zim 800.356.2964
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dave Erickson »

Marc Allingham wrote:Here's a little trick proven to brighten aluminum using household peroxide and baking soda. Example in photo took three applications ... about 15-20 mins.

1) Degrease parts using dish detergent (some degreasers like Simple Green will turn alloys dark)
4) Apply paste to aluminum parts and work aggressively with stiff vinyl brush. You should see results within a few minutes. Several applications may be needed
Marc, that's a good tip, I will give it a try. Have you tried it on Zamak castings (e.g. Solex carburetors)?

Marc Allingham
356 Fan

#21 Post by Marc Allingham »

Dave - I typically apply this technique to smooth alloy surfaces where I want to avoid marks created by abrasives. The choice of brush may play into the results. It creates a uniform muted finish if done correctly.

For my engine case and other rough surfaces i've applied this same technique but follow up with a product called Nyalox by Dico Products http://dicoproducts.com/products.php?gid=5 Nyalox wheels brushes are suited for most jobs. They come in three grits 80, 120, 240. I typically use the blue 240 grit attached to a slow speed drill to avoid bright spots. Ace Hardware carries this product.
Attachments
Disco.png
Disco.png (97.02 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Marc A.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#22 Post by Al Zim »

Years ago we developed a kit to replace all the oil line plugs in the 356 engine. The kit included the proper plugs, drills and instructions. We have used these tools in our shop, we never put them on the market reasoning that a small error could easily make the case worthless. If you are interested in the kit call me and we can put one together for you al zim 800.356.2964
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#23 Post by Joris Koning »

DaveErickson wrote:
Marc Allingham wrote:Here's a little trick proven to brighten aluminum using household peroxide and baking soda. Example in photo took three applications ... about 15-20 mins.

Marc, that's a good tip, I will give it a try. Have you tried it on Zamak castings (e.g. Solex carburetors)?
I have been meaning to give the below technique a try for carbs and other zinc die cast pieces. Have not found the time yet

A cleaning solution is available for brightening diecastings that have become tarnished during storage. It has the following composition:

Syrupy phosphoric acid (Sp.Gr.1.75) 60 parts by weight

Butyl alcohol (or another suitable miscible organic solvent) 20 parts by weight

Water 20 parts by weight

Wetting agent 2 parts by weight

This solution should be stored in a non-metallic vessel. The diecastings should be degreased if necessary and then immersed in the solution at room temperature for 10-20 seconds. After treatment the castings should be well rinsed and dried. They are left with a faint iridescence.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Marc Allingham
356 Fan

#24 Post by Marc Allingham »

Joris - Careful using any acid based cleaners / solutions. I've tried these in the past and they had the opposite effect by turning alloy dark grey. Also, since aluminum is porous the acid has to be neutralized otherwise you'll find your parts covered with white corrosive residue after they dry. The residue may not appear immediately but shows days later.
Marc A.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#25 Post by James Davies »

It would also be nice to know how to brighten up the Zamak bodies of the Solex and Zenith carbs. Often after cleaning, they get a dull grey finish. But originally they were bright silver. Bruce's article on cleaning these zinc castings in the Registry Magazine a while back had great information about getting them clean and restored for use, but didn't mention how to get them back to their original finish.

I would be very keen to find out how to do this. I expect polishing by hand is required.

Marc Allingham
356 Fan

#26 Post by Marc Allingham »

Adding photos of my engine case using the above mentioned technique. Can't see how it can get any cleaner or brighter :)
Attachments
Engine Case.jpg
Marc A.

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#27 Post by Michael Foster »

"Can't see how it can get any cleaner or brighter :)"

Look at the parts in Jim Nelson's post on page one of this topic. Also vapor honing gets them much brighter also. I tried to attach pictures of some early manifolds that I had done but they were too large. Contact me offline and I will send some pictures.

Michael Foster
MICHAEL FOSTER

Marc Allingham
356 Fan

#28 Post by Marc Allingham »

MICHAEL FOSTER wrote:"Can't see how it can get any cleaner or brighter :)"

Look at the parts in Jim Nelson's post on page one of this topic. Also vapor honing gets them much brighter also. I tried to attach pictures of some early manifolds that I had done but they were too large. Contact me offline and I will send some pictures.

Michael Foster
I should have qualified my comment. In the spirit of the initial post ... for the DIY job I personally could not have made them any brighter. But yes sending parts out for various professional services you can achieve 'perfection' :)
Marc A.