356C Hockey Stick

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric McKinley
356 Fan

356C Hockey Stick

#1 Post by Eric McKinley »

I installed the hockey stick today and slipped the rubber cover and clamp on the end.
I have not tightened it up yet.

I then placed the gear stick in place and aligned the bushing underneath, I tightened the 3 bolts and it is held firmly in place. The small chrome handle at the front of the gearstick is in the correct place and moves freely.
The gear lock works nicely also.

I have a question I am hoping someone can offer advise on.

Where the hockey stick connects at the rear of the tunnel, how much of the stick is pushed onto the other part, before being clamped.
I have pushed the gearstick completely forward, this in turn pushes more of the hockey stick into the male part. The name of this part at the moment escapes me.

I hope this makes sense.

Many Thanks.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.png

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: 356C Hockey Stick

#2 Post by David Jones »

Select reverse gear at the hockey stick with it loose from the shifter shaft. Now select reverse at the shifter lever. Now tighten it all down and see if all gears are selectable. This has worked for me in the past.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Fore/aft location should be so that the lower part of the gearshift lever is vertical. My adjustment procedure is a little different. Select second gear, loosen the clamp and gently push the shift lever against the reverse lockout. Tighten clamp.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Eric McKinley »

Thanks David.

I don't have the engine in the car at the moment but I obviously have the transmission in.

David I am a bit confused by what you mean select reverse with the hockey stick.

I have simply tightened the hockey stick and the gearstick down with the 3 bolts, I have pushed the shifter lever up high to the left where reverse is.
This pushes the hockey stick back at the rear and onto the shifter shaft.
Should I now tighten the 2 together and see if I have all the gears.

David I hope this does not sound daft, but how do you actually know you have all the gears.

What I have noticed is that it is very tight back there, very difficult to get it tightened down due to the round metal piece in the way. The piece that the rubber boot goes on.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Eric before trying to attach- grab the transmission and find 2nd gear, which will be with the transmission rotated to drivers side and input shaft forward. you can actually find neutral and all gears this way before attaching the shift linkage. Once you have the transmission in 2nd gear adjust as Vic said. Then shift to neutral and see if shifter is vertical. If not you may need to make a slight adjustment forward/aft. With it adjusted by Vic's method it should find all gears including reverse.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#6 Post by David Jones »

Use your mole grips(American vice grips) on the hockey shaft to select reverse back there. Place a rag or wrap some tape over the shaft then reconnect. I understand and use Vic's method but reverse is relatively easy to discern from 1st and 3rd being in the same plane but a very obviously different position.Remember to push the shifter lever down then left and forward to select reverse or you may just be selecting 1st.
Once you have selected a gear go and turn the 1st motion shaft. See which way the wheels turn. Better if you lock one wheel because of differential action.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I hope you installed the cup on the end of the shifter before installing it.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Eric McKinley »

Gentlemen thank you all for the pointers on how to achieve this.

I shall report back with how I get on.

Oh, and the cup is there Doug.

David can I ask what you mean when you mention, go and turn the 1st motion shaft and see what way the wheels turn.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#9 Post by David Jones »

The first motion shaft is the bit that sticks out the back of the gearbox that slips in to the clutch disc splines. I use a clutch disc slipped on to it and that way I can count the turns and see which gear I selected.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#10 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Citing an incorrect use of a highly technical term:
Hockey Stick - an interior part of the transmission that should never come anywhere close to a set of vice grips

See also:
Peace Pipe - the long part of the shift linkage located in the tunnel

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by Vic Skirmants »

"Hockey Stick - an interior part of the transmission that should never come anywhere close to a set of vice grips"

Hear, hear! Although David did suggest wrapping a rag around it. At least half of the hockey sticks I get in for hard-chroming and grinding are gouged up from vice grips.
Incidentally, 1950-59 cars did not have a peace pipe.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I thought of cringing at the vise grips but Eric would have been grabbing the front of the shift coupler in this instance.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dick Weiss »

I use the method described by Vic for ease of tightening the clamp on the clevis-coupling.
The adjustment requires the shift lever being vertical when in neutral and the side-to-side movement is fully equal.
Then, when shifted into any gear, the small fore-and-aft + the side-to-side clearance (of the lever) is equal--you may have a little clearance also in reverse too, but not in the 911/912 due to their double-spring lockout under the shift lever
to prevent accidental reverse engagement during forward motion--I just replaced clevis bushings in a 912 last week.

Finally, I don't use the internal/tunnel bellows/boot--it gets in the way of adjusting the shift rod tightening to get the above results, and it's not really needed if you have a good bellows (and seal) on the trans. nose-to-tunnel end
Yeah, I know it's listed, but having a non-rusted tunnel end, it's a saving some cost for something else--besides.
it's not used on A's .

Dick

Bill Owen
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bill Owen »

Thanks Vic You are the man. I got my adjustment correct so now I can find all the gears on my 714 trans . Now its time to enjoy my 356C.