Is my Distributor drive gear in correctly?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
gregg hake
356 Fan

Is my Distributor drive gear in correctly?

#1 Post by gregg hake »

Hi
I have just installed my distributor drive gear and have a concern.
1. I placed the engine at #1 TDC, verifying Cylinder 1 (passenger side rear) had loose pushrods/rockers.
2. I placed the "ring" in place, holding it in place with some motor honey.
3. I put the drive gear in with the slot approx. parallel with the case and the slot offset toward the pulley.
4. The gear didn't drop all the way down until I turned the engine forward and the gear then dropped into place but was not parallel with the case after it dropped.
5. I measured the depth of the drive gear from the case surface to the top of the drive...it is 44.35 mm deep which is right where I have been told it should be.
6. I turn the engine forward, and the gear slot turns as expected with no noise or grinding.

Everything seems perfect EXCEPT when the pulley is at TDC, the drive gear slot is NOT close to being parallel with the case. Everything I read talks about installing the gear with the slot about parallel with the case, but nothing says if it is STILL parallel after it drops in place.

So, my question is, "Is my slot orientation typical (see picture) when the gear is installed?
IMG_2378.JPG
IMG_2379.JPG

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Is my Distributor drive gear in correctly?

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Greg, I've got a mule engine in the shop aligned to #1 firing (I use it to set the Compound Distributors to #1), so I can check tomorrow if someone else doesn't give you the info from memory by then. But you can also drop the distributor in and see if the rotor points to the #1 groove in the casting near 5 o:clock as you peer down on it.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

John Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Brooks »

I think you are off one tooth on the drive shaft / gear interface. . It's easy to do. Just pull it out and try again but a little more clockwise when dropping in drive shaft. Then spin it and check again.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#4 Post by Craig Richter »

Hi Greg,
Like John says, you are off a tooth, and... it's easy to do. The gears have such a big angle that the driveshaft turns as it drops down into place. The trick is to offer the driveshaft into the case at a "wrong" angle, and as it slides down it twists and becomes the "right" angle. I'm sure the Maestro covered this in one of his books. Your problem now is to adjust this without losing the spacer washer inside the 3rd piece. Luckily, your motor is not fully assembled yet so removal of the 3rd piece is still easy if the spacer does drop off. Happy wrenching.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Let's go through this again, boys and girls.
When the gear is in place, it is NOT parallel. It is SLIGHTLY clockwise from parallel.
To install, start the gear at roughly 45 degrees counter-clockwise. Drop it in and push/turn with a screwdriver and it will rotate to the correct position; NOT perfectly parallel.
Class dismissed.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

Vic Skirmants wrote:Let's go through this again, boys and girls.
When the gear is in place, it is NOT parallel. It is SLIGHTLY clockwise from parallel.
To install, start the gear at roughly 45 degrees counter-clockwise. Drop it in and push/turn with a screwdriver and it will rotate to the correct position; NOT perfectly parallel.
Class dismissed.
Are you cranky in the morning when you haven't finished your coffee yet? Can't we all just get along in this festive political season? :shock: Admittedly you are 100% correct though. :wink:
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Vic Skirmants »

C J Murray wrote:
Class dismissed.
Are you cranky in the morning when you haven't finished your coffee yet? Can't we all just get along in this festive political season? :shock: Admittedly you are 100% correct though. :wink:
On my second cup. I feel better now.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dick Weiss »

Gregg,

In your 1st photo, I hope you can add the missing #4 main bearing retaining bolt w/o damage.

Dick

C J Murray
356 Fan

#9 Post by C J Murray »

Good catch Dick! That may be a problem.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

CJ You thought that was Vic cranky? You know him well enough to know that wasn't even close to cranky:>) And when I was at his place 2 days ago he was as nice as can be. But it WAS in the afternoon. I bought some parts and got to see the 2 cars he has for sale.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

gregg hake
356 Fan

#11 Post by gregg hake »

Class dismissed.
Thank you Vic. If I am understanding you correctly, though, I assume my slot, which is at 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock is probably TOO far clockwise now...correct?

So to properly install, I need to pull out the drive, and position it so the slot is at about 7:30 and 1:30 and drop it into place. Once it drops...and rotates in...the left side of the slot should be at...say...915 ish? Does that sound correct?

Thanks All.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by C J Murray »

I've seen him pretty mad but he is always nice to me. Well, if you don't count the part where he makes fun of me and tells me I don't know what I'm doing. That said Barbara is even tougher on him and me. That's how you know she loves you!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#13 Post by C J Murray »

Gregg, you understand correctly but need to be certain that the thrust washer on the bottom of the gear stays in place so don't shake the engine about. Use a magnet to raise the gear to where it can be turned 1 tooth. Your main bearing in the timing cover/3rd piece should be installed while the cover is off with the fixing bolt just proud enough to guide the positioning hole into alignment with the bolt which you then tighten the rest of the way. If you don't have the hole in the bearing lined up the bolt will crush the bearing and lock up the crankshaft.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by Vic Skirmants »

gregg hake wrote:
Class dismissed.
Thank you Vic. If I am understanding you correctly, though, I assume my slot, which is at 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock is probably TOO far clockwise now...correct?

So to properly install, I need to pull out the drive, and position it so the slot is at about 7:30 and 1:30 and drop it into place. Once it drops...and rotates in...the left side of the slot should be at...say...915 ish? Does that sound correct?

Thanks All.
As Cliff said, you understand perfectly.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#15 Post by Wes Bender »

Quote: "I have just installed my distributor drive gear and have a concern.
1. I placed the engine at #1 TDC, verifying Cylinder 1 (passenger side rear) had loose pushrods/rockers."

Please verify that you placed #1 at TDC. Cylinder 1 is NOT passenger side rear. That is Cylinder #2. Cylinder #1 is passenger side FRONT.

Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....