It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:09 am 
356 Fan

Edwin Ek wrote:
Tony is still in business, but his responsiveness has become unpredictable.

Larry Markham of Markham Motor Works is the fellow mentioned here. I think he is listed as a vendor. If not, he is in Somis, California.

Larry is the master of his trade, wonderful guy and until this latest the only guy who's touched my 356 since buying it ~10 years ago. Not in biz as a "key guy" but for more serious stuff, you cannot find anyone more knowledgeable, highly recommend him for engine work and for anything approaching concours quality, you can't go wrong with him! He's a purist. Maybe not "cheap", but he's honest as the day is long and a true gem in our hobby.

Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:50 am 
356 Fan

Hello Jim,
I will look for him in the vendors list and i'm sure he can give good recommendations for us to on our unique cars.
Thank you for the Info Jim.
Best Regards
Herlin
1958 A coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:24 am 
356 Fan

Hello All,
We are so sorry to hear that there are some of you having trouble with your locks. We are available to help if anyone would like to make use of our services.
Regards,
Dan & Alicia
at Tweets Restorations

Last edited by Daniel Roman on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:46 am 
356 Fan

Excellent key and lock service can also be obtained from:

Ryan Hernandez
15 Gottier Dr.
Vernon, CT 06066

Several here on the board have used his services and are quite satisfied.

Cheers,
Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:50 pm 
356 Fan

I sent my square door handles to Tony for restoration in July 2014, quoted at the time as a 6 month job. Despite numerous attempts to make contact with Tony via phone and e-mail I have had no contact from him since June 2016. I would now like the door handles returned to me so that I can make other arrangements for their restoration, but have had no response from Tony to my requests in this regard.

Can anyone that has a personal relationship with Tony help me recover my door handles? Failing that, can anyone who has been in the same situation advise how I can resolve? Please note I live in the UK.

Much obliged
Hugo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:15 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: Porsche Enthusiast
I feel obliged to relay my recent experience with Tony E., which was a good one. My ignition switch broke in December of last year, and since it was keyed to the door handles, I sent it off to Tony to see if he could fix it. In the interim, I put in a new switch, so I could keep the car running over the winter. Tony looked at the switch and determined it was a knock-off, which I had suspected. He attempted to repair it, but apparently those switches are difficult to repair. So he refurbished an older, original switch and re-keyed it to my key number. This arrived today in good working order. From start to finish the process took about five months, but I really was in no hurry as I had a working switch during the interim period. So while I certainly understand the frustration that other's have expressed on this topic, my experience was a good one.

C4S, '08
Targa, '84

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:13 am 
356 Fan

Well, an update. My car went off to the shop not running a long time ago - 6 months or more? This was after sitting for way, way too long, had to clean out the fuel system, rebuild the carbs, etc. I had installed a new Stoddard repro ignition switch, but it didn't work. I thought maybe I wired it improperly. My wrench was messing with it, and finally it turned over, but not how it was supposed to, it was just luck that he got it momentarily in the right position. Have no idea if I messed it up on installation or if it was faulty. He said he had a used ignition switch he could send out for rebuild (to Tony). I waited for many months (4-6?), but Tony hadn't sent it back. A couple weeks ago, I bought new repros from Stoddard and told the wrench to just go ahead with the repros, as I suspected we would never hear back from Tony.

Alas, today, wrench called, they got the rebuilt ignition switch and rekeyed matching door locks back from Tony. I told them and go ahead and use them. I guess Tony is still alive and well, although slow as molasses.

Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S