Barn Find 1957 Speedster

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
tom collingwood
356 Fan

Re: Barn Find 1957 Speedster

#16 Post by tom collingwood »

I chased the bid up to $250k. It flew to $450k like it was the last speedster in the world. Finished at $605?!

Must be a record.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#17 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Hi Tom,
Welcome aboard. Hope you find an "affordable" speedster.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#18 Post by Martin Benade »

Tom, had you bought it, would you have restored it, or kept it as is?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#19 Post by tom collingwood »

Martin Benade wrote:Tom, had you bought it, would you have restored it, or kept it as is?

I would have kept it as original as possible.

Pull the motor and tranny for rebuild.
Do all the mechanical to be road worthy. Brakes, suspension, wheel bearings, lines etc.
Buff and polish everything. (no rechrome)

My plan was to use it as my transportation for the the 48 Hours of Sebring while racing that weekend.

One look at the car and there would be no question if it were a "real" one. lol

I dont think anybody should restore this car. Best to preserve it as is for as long as possible.
An authentic used Speedster with lots of Patina.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#20 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I can see the next trend in replica speedsters; fake patina and "rust" spots on the fiberglass.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#21 Post by Martin Benade »

I am sure it is already coming. In the hot rod world that is going on big time. Some people are pretty talented at air-brushing what looks like rust and faded paint on fiberglas bodies. It sounds like an interesting technical/art challenge to figure out how to do it, but I would not need the results on my car.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#22 Post by Adam Wright »

Vic Skirmants wrote:I can see the next trend in replica speedsters; fake patina and "rust" spots on the fiberglass.
Vic, they are already doing that, in fact I've been getting emails from folks asking for high res pics of rusty cars so they can make "rusty wraps" for cars, instant patina!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#23 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Adam Wright wrote:
Vic Skirmants wrote:I can see the next trend in replica speedsters; fake patina and "rust" spots on the fiberglass.
Vic, they are already doing that, in fact I've been getting emails from folks asking for high res pics of rusty cars so they can make "rusty wraps" for cars, instant patina!
:) :( :o :shock: :? :P :wink: :!: :!: :!:

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#24 Post by Peter Silten »

I am sorry but paying that kind of money for that car is the height of insanity. In my book it isn't worth half that much, not by a long shot. But to each his own. I bet someone is laughing all the way to the bank.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#25 Post by Larry Brooks »

Larry Brooks wrote:
Vic Skirmants wrote:Without seeing the condition of the floor, the estimate actually seems low.
I agree. Based on the sales of the last several "Barn Find" Speedsters I think it will sell for 50-100% more than their high estimate.

Not too surprised that my prediction was even too low!

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#26 Post by tom collingwood »

I would say you are correct.

So many restored Speedsters and fresh replicas going around that it more rare to see an original beater speedster nowadays. And that would be condsidered more interesting in our times.

This will bring out the patina replicators in the replica world.

I actually did this to my factory 5 cobra replica last year. I left it in black gelcoat as delivered, added the gumball number circles/racing decals and hand rubbed them in gasoline to give them a yellowed cracked look. Instant barn find look. lol

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#27 Post by tom collingwood »

Peter Silten wrote:I am sorry but paying that kind of money for that car is the height of insanity. In my book it isn't worth half that much, not by a long shot. But to each his own. I bet someone is laughing all the way to the bank.
Agreed, i do not think it was a wise buy at that price in regards to return on investment.
It must have been somebody who just had to have it and given that the opportunity is rare to find a car like that nowadays they paid a premium for that experience.

This cqr will have to remain in this state to maintain the price paid.
A restoration would perhaps devalue the car at this point lol.

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#28 Post by tom collingwood »

Larry Brooks wrote:
Larry Brooks wrote:
Vic Skirmants wrote:Without seeing the condition of the floor, the estimate actually seems low.
I agree. Based on the sales of the last several "Barn Find" Speedsters I think it will sell for 50-100% more than their high estimate.

Not too surprised that my prediction was even too low!

My original estimate was $500k given the Seinfeld speedster and the Hersey Speedster this year.
But i registered to bid anyways just incase it might go for under $300k

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#29 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Some cars are bought by people because they like them. I doubt that after paying 1.76 million this car will ever show a profit. Picture is from the evening it was unloaded 4 miles from me. Purschaser liked it and she was turning 60 and has enough money to buy anything and chose to buy this as a present to herself. And yes she has been seen driving it locally. And no it is not a replica it is Janis Joplin's 64 C Cab.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Ibrahim Kuzu
356 Fan

#30 Post by Ibrahim Kuzu »

Is that shine down light painted? or reflection...Looks like painted body color???
I can clearly see fender mirror is painted.....
Maybe I am wrong but to me this one may had a rear spray in her life time.