Door locks 101

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
JohnLiles
356 Fan

Door locks 101

#1 Post by JohnLiles »

My passenger door will not lock on the key - the drivers door does - and maybe the door or lock is not original to the car ( 1955 Continental pre A ).

I am happy if can lock the passenger door on the inside handle , but the handle will not move to the lock position . It will move to open the door but will not move in opposite direction to lock it.

I guess I have to remove the door card to see the handle linkage , have done this before on a B and a C , so assume the pre A is no different . Remove top rail , remove pins from window winder and from door handle to remove both handles , remove all the self tapping screws round perimeter of door card. emove door card .

What next ?
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Door locks 101

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

John: It looks like you have the removal procedure down pat. As far as the door not being lockable from the inside, on my '63, there is a wire between the interior door handle latch and the door lock. It needs to be adjusted to be able to lock/unlock the door. I'm not familiar with the '55 but I know earlier Pre-A's have a solid metal strap between the two. I'm not sure if it is adjustable. I'm sure someone knowledgeable about your car will weigh in.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#3 Post by JohnLiles »

Hi Mike , I evetually found time to get started , so decided to strip the drivers door first as that one works OK , just to see what the configuration is supposed to look like

On this door , it often does not latch when I close it , so assume may need to adjust striker plate on main body of car

When I strip the passenger door will be able to see why not locking on handle ( I hope )

BTW date stamp on window winder is 3 55 , so it's original !
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

A bit of lubrication might fix the latching issue. Try that first, both the latch and the outside handle button.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

I agree with Martin. Parts may just be sticking.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe