Newbie needs help

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tim Costa
356 Fan

Newbie needs help

#1 Post by Tim Costa »

Hello all. Recently, while on vacation with my wife, I came across a 356B that had literally just been pulled out of a barn. After many phone calls I found out that the car was to be auctioned of as part of an estate sale. I ended up winning the auction and now have the car in my possession. I got it home this week and spent hours going over it and cleaning it up a bit to see exactly what I have. At some point, many years ago, someone started a restoration and never completed it. The car has been completely stripped of paint and its interior. It still has all of its suspension and running gear however it looks to have a 1600cc VW engine. I do have most of the parts that were removed aside from some exterior trim, the front seats and the front windshield. The more I look at this the more I think it may be a bit more then I think I can handle. Below is a link to a ton of pictures I've taken and would love some input as to what I have in store if I decide to continue down the path of bring this little car back to life.

BTW Im open to offers if anyone is interested :)

Thanks,
Tim

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/tdady ... t=3&page=1

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Newbie needs help

#2 Post by David Jones »

You have a major project on your hands Tim and unless you have the aptitude to do welding, bodywork and mechanical work you may be well advised to sell it on. There are many people out there who could tackle it including myself but I would be very wary of this one as it is not going to be cheap no matter what level of expertise you have. If you do it right you could have a $60K car but it may cost that to bring it to that level.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

You'll probably be contacted by Adam, looks like it would fit perfectly into his fleet. As David said to do the car at driver level it will cost 30 k just for the structural metal work. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with her.

Rusty
Rusty

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#4 Post by Richard Shilling »

To quote you: "...if I decide to continue down the path of bring this little car back to life." Tim, all it takes is time and money. I agree with the $30,000 for the bodywork alone. Add another $15,000 or $25,000 for the mechanical and you'd have a nice car! Hope you didn't pay too much.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Tim Costa
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tim Costa »

Richard Shilling wrote:To quote you: "...if I decide to continue down the path of bring this little car back to life." Tim, all it takes is time and money. I agree with the $30,000 for the bodywork alone. Add another $15,000 or $25,000 for the mechanical and you'd have a nice car! Hope you didn't pay too much.

Since I'm still working out a budget and getting quotes for the bodywork, I appreciate the input. I think I'm fine with what I paid for it but out of curiosity what would "too much be" in you opinion?

Tim

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dan Epperly »

Tim Costa wrote:
Richard Shilling wrote:To quote you: "...if I decide to continue down the path of bring this little car back to life." Tim, all it takes is time and money. I agree with the $30,000 for the bodywork alone. Add another $15,000 or $25,000 for the mechanical and you'd have a nice car! Hope you didn't pay too much.

Since I'm still working out a budget and getting quotes for the bodywork, I appreciate the input. I think I'm fine with what I paid for it but out of curiosity what would "too much be" in you opinion?

Tim
Mine was in about that shape, I did all the work myself and including purchase price I think it cost me about $20k to do the car, but it was all there. No engine? Add another $5k for a complete engine needin rebuild. Don't know how to weld or do body work, yep, add even more, before you know it you find you would have been better off buying an already done car.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

Rusty Ferrell wrote:You'll probably be contacted by Adam, looks like it would fit perfectly into his fleet. As David said to do the car at driver level it will cost 30 k just for the structural metal work. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with her.

Rusty
Ironically I had three different people send me pics of this car when it was sitting in a parking lot, I assume before the sale.
Glad to see someone got it, what did it sell for at the estate sale?
Attachments
brearweld.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Tim Costa
356 Fan

#8 Post by Tim Costa »

Adam, PM me and we can discuss.

Tim