LHD 356 B T5 Windscreen wipers

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ian William Stockwell
356 Fan
Tag: 356 not just a number

LHD 356 B T5 Windscreen wipers

#1 Post by Ian William Stockwell »

I have problems with my 356 wiper blades which I believe have been supplied by a stateside Porsche classic supplier although purchased in the UK.
The blades are straight and do not follow the curvature of the windscreen, whatever I do bending and shaping them I cannot get them to follow the curvature of the screen so end up with an unswept portion of the screen on the drivers side.
On my RHD Porsche 996 there are two distinct blades one of which is designed for the windscreen curvature on the passenger side and gives a lovely clear screen.
My question is are there specific curved blades to suit the 356 windscreen?

Thanks

Ian
Porsche engine DNA is Flat Four, Flat Six & Flat Twelve NOT Flat Battery Packs :(

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: LHD 356 B T5 Windscreen wipers

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

Apparently your "stateside Porsche classic supplier" sent you VW non-articulated blades and should have sent blades with a "bridge" on each end which allows the wiper rubber to conform to a curved w/s glass.
Attachments
Wiper blade 3.jpg
Wiper blade VW.jpg
Wiper blade VW.jpg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 1239 times

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dick Weiss »

Ian,

I always remove the blades to re-curve the metal strips to a concave shape--especially on the driver's side and re=assemble them.

Dick

Ian William Stockwell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ian William Stockwell »

Hello Brad
Blades are not vdub they are Porsche copies.
I will try what Dick does to see if that works, being in the UK we need wipers more than most so it's important.

Ian
Porsche engine DNA is Flat Four, Flat Six & Flat Twelve NOT Flat Battery Packs :(

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#5 Post by Jim Liberty »

Brad has spoken !!! Listen to him.
Jim Liberty

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

Which type are we talking about here?

Apparently Dick is talking about the later ones in my photo that are supposed to conform to curved glasses. If so, he is suggesting a further bend to the backbone of the blade. Correct?

Ian William Stockwell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ian William Stockwell »

Hello Dick

I hope you are talking about the Bridge Type Porsche wipers as the straight vdub ones will not work on any level being designed for a flat screen. We can buy these for a couple of bob over here but the proper blades are a fortune even without Brexit so again I will ask again are there dedicated LH and RH blades.

Ian

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#8 Post by Jim Liberty »

I have never differentiated left from right with the blades. There can be a difference with the arms. I bend the drivers side to make the blade park more parallel with the windshield. Probably not correct.
Jim Liberty

Eric Linden
356 Fan

#9 Post by Eric Linden »

Brad Ripley wrote:Which type are we talking about here?

Apparently Dick is talking about the later ones in my photo that are supposed to conform to curved glasses. If so, he is suggesting a further bend to the backbone of the blade. Correct?
Brad,
No, what he's suggesting is to switch the spring steel in the rubber insert so that the rubber insert actually bends "concave". That way the rubber can conform to the bend in the windscreen. The only thing is that you then are only counting on the spring in the arm to hold the rubber against windshield, and less pressure from the spring steel in the rubber insert.

I did my picklefork blades with a basically straight spring steel, and they work pretty well on my own coupe and speedster that I tested for just that purpose.

Eric
356 Registry member since 1985
SOTERIK on Early S Registry
www.autoforeignservices.com
57 Speedster
59 A cab project, rudge wheels, bench seat
1968 911L factory rally car ordered new by my father
bunch of 911S's and 912's...