Looking for Hardtop stand have questions and concerns.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Looking for Hardtop stand have questions and concerns.

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Have Glaspar fiberglass hardtop from Fibersteel.
I spoke to Russ the owner and he says since its fiberglass he does not suggest standing up on stand as over time it may deform the shape from weight.
They make Mercedes/universal stands for $100+, but now I'm concerned this is not a good way to store and if it would even fit properly.
Russ says store it on the car. Even a hoist pulley lift may not be proper? If this was a factory steel top I could see it holding it's shape.
Saw one 911 guy build a beautiful stand out of PVC.
Anyone have ides or suggestions based on my concerns?
Thank you,
Steve

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

Re: Looking for Hardtop stand have questions and concerns.

#2 Post by Jim Karaba »

I would think the hoist style would be the better option.

Cal Ensor
356 Fan

#3 Post by Cal Ensor »

Steve
Russ is right,the fiberglass top is flimsily can be easily be twisted and the window displaced or damaged. I have seen an original stored on end and it is severely warped. I have been pondering a rigid cage for staff storage for my original but so far no design. Unless you have extremely long arms it is a two man job to safely remove/install the top.
Cal Ensor Littleton,Co. Pre A Speedster 80613

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Cal's right. I, too, have seen a steel top stored on end that warped. My suggestion would be to have a buck built replicating your car and store the hard top on it. Perhaps you can get dimensions from Russ as he has to have a mold to fabricate the tops. I'd also suggest that attachment points for a sling be incorporated so you can use a hoist.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Brooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Brooks »

Steve

I hang mine from the ceiling with 1/4 nylon rope. . I made a pair of fitted 2x4's. One is arched like the windshield Bow clips, the other matches the door post mounts. I matched the front attachment radius by the old fashion compass trace off the top frame. Cut the radius with a band saw The rear brace just goes across the mid point behind the doors and has a pair of cscrews to hold it. The hardtop attaches similar to how it goes on the car. Ropes from the outside of these wooden supports up to a lifting rope.

Then I made spreader board for above the door post, so the ropes attached to the lower 2x4 go straight up and does not touch the top, then all four go to a single point balance point for lifting. I have a high ceiling in the shop so I have a cheap block and pulley system up to the joist and over to the wall so I can lift it out of the way. I will post a photo tomorrow.

Since it's supported like it is on the car I don't think it will distort. I have had the top for 50 years and have only put it one once. But it still fit fine, can't say much for the seals after all this time.
Attachments
Hardtop hanger.JPG
Last edited by John Brooks on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Great explanation of what I had in mind, John.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Raucher »

After watching Barrett Jackson Scottsdale on TV and seeing all these fiberglass hardtops upright on stands on wheels following their Corvettes, I am still perplexed because I was told it is not good to stand these fiberglass hardtops upright for long periods of time as it could cause damage.
So what gives? Who has had any long term success using a fiberglass hardtop supported on an upright stand on wheels? Pros and cons appreciated.
Steve

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Bruechle »

You could got to Home Depot or a hardware store and buy roughly a dozen each of 3/4" PVC Tee's, elbows, X's and caps and 20' of 3/4" PVC

Make a rack with 6 legs cut at various lengths to support it. (if you have garage/shop floor space).

Just PVC glue some Tees and elbows for a base, then a mid section (for support) and then 6 posts sticking up.

Easy to work with, PVC cutter or hack saw. The only tricky part would be trimming the uprights at the correct length for even support.

Ron Delmendo
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ron Delmendo »

I’ve used a 4-point hoist for years to store the hardtop during the wet months. Sorry for the poor picture of the top.
Attachments
52B97502-9D20-49DD-A3E9-DBA9C596A3AB.jpeg
Cheers,

Ron

'61 Roadster Outlaw
'69 911E ROW Coupe
'68 911 SWT project
‘18 Macan

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#10 Post by Wes Bender »

steve raucher wrote:After watching Barrett Jackson Scottsdale on TV and seeing all these fiberglass hardtops upright on stands on wheels following their Corvettes, I am still perplexed because I was told it is not good to stand these fiberglass hardtops upright for long periods of time as it could cause damage.
So what gives? Who has had any long term success using a fiberglass hardtop supported on an upright stand on wheels? Pros and cons appreciated.
Steve
Not all fiberglass hardtops are created equal. The one for my '70 M-B 280SL was very heavy and was strong enough to withstand being in the rack for 15 years or so. Still fit perfectly when we sold the car.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

George Hussey
356 Fan

#11 Post by George Hussey »

I use the 100 dollar stand for my corvette hardtop but always a hoist for the 356 hardtop
steve raucher wrote:Have Glaspar fiberglass hardtop from Fibersteel.
I spoke to Russ the owner and he says since its fiberglass he does not suggest standing up on stand as over time it may deform the shape from weight.
They make Mercedes/universal stands for $100+, but now I'm concerned this is not a good way to store and if it would even fit properly.
Russ says store it on the car. Even a hoist pulley lift may not be proper? If this was a factory steel top I could see it holding it's shape.
Saw one 911 guy build a beautiful stand out of PVC.
Anyone have ides or suggestions based on my concerns?
Thank you,
Steve
George Hussey

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jay Wiener »

all my hardtops sit on stands or lean against the wall while standing up. Still never a problem

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi Guys,
If I do decide to buy an upright stand, which one will fit the 356 Hardtop? Many to choose from. Perhaps one that advertises to fit Mercedes hardtop?
EBAY has several to choose from.
Any suggestions is appreciated.
Steve

George Hussey
356 Fan

#14 Post by George Hussey »

I have had my 66 corvette hardtop on a roll around stand for several years now, covered, and have never had a problem. The roll arounds on e bay are inexpensive and good
George Hussey

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jay Wiener »

just get rid of it and call it a day! My philosophy