Poll- Do you support this amendment to the Registry bylaws?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.

Poll- Do you support this amendment to the Registry bylaws?

YES
76%
NO
24%

Total votes: 59

Felix Macaluso
356 Fan

Re: Poll- Do you support this amendment to the Registry byla

#16 Post by Felix Macaluso »

Cliff,
I copy your list of candidates in order to encourage one and all to submit a statement to our secretary regarding running again this year. The trustee makeup is changing and there is an opportunity for new trustees to be elected. By the way, I consider no one who ran and lost to have failed. They were willing to volunteer their time for the good of the club.

Richard Bartlett
Miles Moffatt
Bill Oldham
Ted Long
Cliff Murray

Jerry Garwick
Roger Shapiro
Bruce Herrington

Felix Macaluso
356 Fan

#17 Post by Felix Macaluso »

Gary Carriveau wrote:Why do we assume that a past Trustee will stop their interest and contributing to the club after their term expires (or they resign)?
We have one or more perfect examples that this is not necessarily the case.
Gary, I think trustees past, present and future are just people who have volunteered their time and energy for the good of the club. I further think the majority of them would give of their expertise if called upon. A case in point is George Dunn volunteering to stay connected to the trustees during the final stages of our law suit. For insurance purposes he was appointed an officer position, which he promptly resigned from at the conclusion of the suit.

Gary Carriveau
356 Fan

#18 Post by Gary Carriveau »

Felix,
Am I missing something?
Your comment appears to support my point.
Puzzled.

Gary
'64 C Coupe
Gary W. Carriveau
'64 C Coupe

Felix Macaluso
356 Fan

#19 Post by Felix Macaluso »

Gary Carriveau wrote:Felix,
Am I missing something?
Your comment appears to support my point.
Puzzled.

Gary
'64 C Coupe
Poor reading on my part Gary. We agree.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#20 Post by C J Murray »

Felix Macaluso wrote:
C J Murray wrote:Poll- Do you support this amendment to the Registry bylaws?

Trustee elected terms are three years. No more than three Trustees are to be elected in any one year and no fewer than two Trustees are to be elected in any one year. Consecutive terms shall not exceed two terms for any Trustee.
Cliff, the current by-laws state that an elected term is for three years. They also state that a majority of the trustees may not be elected in any given year. This implies a maximum of three trustees can be elected in any given year. It seems to me that only your last sentence is new and relevant. Perhaps you should modify your query of support to just this sentence.

Felix
You are correct but maybe writing the redundant part paints a truer picture that each Trustees could possibly serve 3 continuous or 6 continuous years but no more than 6 continuous years. They could run again after a break. It just makes the actual numbers obvious to those who might not already know.

I would be very impressed if the Trustees would vote to put out a ballot to the membership on just my last line above.

I don't know what corner you guys are painted into because of the recent bylaws change but couldn't you just ask one of the Trustees to resign their term and they could even run for reelection in this year's election to just change the anniversary of their term. Maybe there is a rule against that.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#21 Post by Jon Schmid »

OK, this is a car club. We all voluntarily joined it. We can voluntarily leave it. We also voluntarily vote for the volunteers who want to serve as trustees to do so. If they keep wanting to volunteer to serve and we keep voting for them to do so, then so be it. If you don't like it, you can always find another club. I think overall the club has been very well run and among other things provides us with a first rate magazine. I don't understand why some people are treating this whole trustee election process like the club is some sort of government entity when it is being run by, you guessed it, volunteers.

Charlie White
356 Fan

#22 Post by Charlie White »

Jon,

VERY WELL SAID!! Bravo! Lets get back to 356 Porsche discussions,
and stop arguing about "nothing"!

Charlie White
Charlie White

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#23 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jon Schmid wrote:OK, this is a car club. We all voluntarily joined it. We can voluntarily leave it. We also voluntarily vote for the volunteers who want to serve as trustees to do so.
We can also voluntarily offer the means to change it. I don't have strong opinions about the issue, but I certainly think it's worth consideration; the poll is 'voluntary'.
Everything you posted applies to the poll; nothing suggests otherwise.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#24 Post by C J Murray »

Felix Macaluso wrote:
C J Murray wrote:Poll- Do you support this amendment to the Registry bylaws?

Trustee elected terms are three years. No more than three Trustees are to be elected in any one year and no fewer than two Trustees are to be elected in any one year. Consecutive terms shall not exceed two terms for any Trustee.
Cliff, the current by-laws state that an elected term is for three years. They also state that a majority of the trustees may not be elected in any given year. This implies a maximum of three trustees can be elected in any given year. It seems to me that only your last sentence is new and relevant. Perhaps you should modify your query of support to just this sentence.

Felix
Per Felix Macaluso my latest proposal really does boil down to this very minor change...

Consecutive terms shall not exceed two terms for any Trustee.

That equates to 6 years consecutive and the ability run again after a break. Please vote yes above if you agree.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#25 Post by Adam Wright »

Charlie White wrote:Jon,

VERY WELL SAID!! Bravo! Lets get back to 356 Porsche discussions,
and stop arguing about "nothing"!

Charlie White
I find it very interesting when people don't want to talk about things. If you don't like the discussion, don't click on it. I was at the Trustee meeting and there was a lot of talk about this subject, both for and against. Another topic that came up was how the club does holidays, and the general consensus was that the way we have been doing it isn't working to insure we have two holidays a year, which the membership overwhelmly agreed they both wanted and expected. But we got to that conclusion by talking about it, the trustees listened and later said they talked a lot about it at their private meeting the next day. In the case of term limits there was more pushback from the Trustee's, which is understandable since many of them would quickly term out if term limits became the rule. But I think there is enough interest from the membership to at least discuss the idea, if there isn't then the idea will die on the vine, but if there is we should see it through to a vote. But first we have to talk about it. Cliff's proposal has changed several times and been refined based on feedback and simplicity, but he made those changes because we talked about it, as a group, and what better place to talk about club business than on our club forum. There are several other websites where the wackadoodles spin wild tales of great conspiracies involving our club, I don't think anyone wants to do that here, just have an honest discussion on a topic that from what I can tell does hold the interest of some percentage of the membership. But if you don't want to discuss this there is a very easy way to avoid it, don't click on it. If someone is typing in this forum it's because they are a member, and as a member they have just as much right to discuss their concerns about the club as anyone else and as long as they maintain a civil tone in their discussion they should be able to type their thoughts until their hands hurt. If times teaches us that no one cares about term limits than that will be that, but if we learn through a responsible discussion that enough people in the club think term limits are a good idea, than it's probably important to talk about it.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Charlie White
356 Fan

#26 Post by Charlie White »

So Adam, are you saying that somehow I don't have a right to
post my opinion?

CW
Charlie White

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#27 Post by Adam Wright »

Charlie White wrote:So Adam, are you saying that somehow I don't have a right to
post my opinion?

CW
Not at all Charlie, it's just not productive to a discussion on a topic to tell people stop talking, which is what you did. Your opinion was noted. To you this topic may be nothing, but to others it isn't and I think you should respect that.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Charlie White
356 Fan

#28 Post by Charlie White »

Adam,

Since you've taken the time to post your opinion, please allow me
to post mine.

CW
Charlie White

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#29 Post by Jim Liberty »

I happen to like, and respect all you guys. Charlie, Adam CJ. and many more, you all give of your time, energy, and smarts to the club. It would be a travesty if you stopped giving input to any and all subjects. PLEASE stay with us !!! Even though the cars stay the same, times change, and so does the make-up of the members. I'm opting out at the end of my term because I've done all I can for the members. I'm not computer savvy, and too lazy to learn. Modern communication will be the savior of the club in the long run.

So, as Felix has said, please run for Trustee, there you can effect real change. It took me two attempts to get elected. .....................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

C J Murray
356 Fan

#30 Post by C J Murray »

Hi Jim,
Fortunately there are many qualified members willing to volunteer so I am not needed and there are reasons that I should not run. As was pointed out again recently I failed to be accepted by the voters 3 times. There are 1 or maybe more trustees who have chosen to take my actions personally. Even in public at the ECH there was a degree of unpleasantness towards me that would be counterproductive if it were to cary over into Trustee business. Maybe my largest concern is about scheduling conflicts between Trustee meetings and vintage racing events. I always miss the Lit Meet to go instead to Sebring and the ECH often conflicts with Watkins Glen as it did this year. There is an up side to having been rejected in 3 elections.

What I can do better from "the outside" is possibly more important, I may actually be able to get our club out from under the dynasty ruling that I and others believe holds our club in a stagnant state. Apparently this can't be done from the position of Trustee since you and Frank would break the dynasty but are "in the minority". I believe other, former Trustees would have supported a more regular turnover of Trustees but the 20-30+ year Trustees would not hear of it. A minority Trustee has no power but the membership does have a little power so I am better off "out here".

Considering that only around 300 people vote in our elections that are advertised in our popular magazine I believe that the poll data here shows very strong support for a change.
Cliff

If you haven't voted here please do so now.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion