356 values and a daily driver dilemma

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Proctor
356 Fan

Drive the Dang Thing?

#16 Post by Steve Proctor »

Yeah, drive it. Look at the comparable values for your car and call an insurance company like Hagerty and get insurance that will put the value you believe your car is worth in your pocket if it is stolen or totaled.

When a recent eBay Speedster that had been clipped, had non-original engine and non-original trans and was pretty nasty looking went for $90.1K, I upped the ins on my numbers matching, fully sorted, albiet dog doo looking Speedster to $100k and kept driving it.

If you get out of that car, you might never be able to get back into one. Are you willing to risk that?

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#17 Post by Pat Daily »

Not sure how old all of you on this topic are, but I am going to be 65 in a month and realize that my time able to drive a 356 is not increasing, but decreasing at the speed of light.

I bought my 356 in 1995 to drive and that's what I do with her. I don't need any pretty garage queens cluttering up my life--just a good solid driver that looks presentable. I really hate having to take her off the road for repairs, etc. as I know my time is limited. I certainly am not about to take her off the road for a long restoration--too many days I could never get back.

So the value of my 356 is driving. Could care less what the prices are.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

They were made to be driven

#18 Post by Barry Brisco »

While 356 values have risen dramatically in the past five years or so, the typical coupe value is hardly out of line with modern luxury cars (and as far as I'm concerned being able to drive a 356 is a "luxury"!). Obviously the price of some of the open car models has soared into the stratosphere. Whether that makes them "too valuable to drive" is a question that each person has to decide for themselves.

Some seem to feel that the cars are wasted just sitting around in a garage, and I tend to agree. However I do not fully agree with the position that, to paraphrase, "Don't worry about how valuable the car is, insurance will cover any damage or loss, so just drive it". Sure, insurance will provide monetary compensation, but in some cases it can be almost impossible to replace a totaled 356 with a similar model. I recently saw a driver B S90 coupe with an original sunroof and 70 liter gas tank. How many of those were made with those two rare options and how many are still around? I would guess only a handful. How long would it take you to actually find one for sale just like that if you had to replace it? It could take years. And then there are the intangibles: that car was previously owned by the owners father. Obviously from that point of view it is irreplaceable.

So now I sound like I'm saying that we should just treasure the cars, leave them sitting in the garage, and trailer them to events to ensure they don't get damaged. Not at all. I'm only providing different points of view and pointing out that really each one is unique and in some sense irreplaceable. I drive my A coupe every week, on crowded freeways and park it in busy parking lots (though usually out on the perimeter away from other cars if possible :-). I couldn't just let it sit around, I wouldn't enjoy it.

I spent 3 years looking for a 59 coupe that was just like the one my father bought when I was 4 years old, and finally found one (except his was a Normal and mine is a Super). Mine is the same color, inside and out, built within a month of his, the same lack of options, and in excellent condition but not a show car by any means. If mine was stolen or totaled and I had to find another one for sale just like it, it would certainly take years and cost even more than I paid 2 1/2 years ago. But I drive it because that's where the fun is.
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#19 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

You live in one of the better climates to drive a 356, low humidity. Are you worried about an elk jumping out in front of you. I love the west.
Safety, my wife and I had a lotus elan when we first were married, she thought the 356 was a great improvement, 43 years later, we haven't had to find out.
Drive her (the car). Sell it when it hits 100K in value.
best regards,
Rusty

Don Brister
356 Fan

#20 Post by Don Brister »

Barry makes a good point that Jon Finkelstein and I discussed briefly. If you love driving your 356 but decide to sell because someone makes you an offer you can't refuse, how long will it take to find another car of similar or better condition...and at what price. As they say, "A rising tide floats all boats."
Don Brister
1965 C Coupe 219770
Registry #17324

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#21 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Any person who is afraid to drive his car because it is "too valuable" needs to rethink his or her decision. Not too many years ago, when our cars weren't very valuable (Speedsters and other open cars, included), a moderate amount of damage from an accident would "total" the car, and I would buy it and cut it up for parts. Today, that same amount of damage will result in a repair and the car will be returned to the owner, often in better condition than it was before the accident! $8,000 damage to a $10,000 (average price of a C coupe 15 years ago)car is a catastrophy!.............$8,000.00 damage to a $40,000.00 (average price today) car is a relatively minor repair. Just insure your car for current values and drive the heck out of it!

Regards

Jim
Licensed California Auto Dismantler
www.easypor.com
PS: There is no such thing as an average 356C. I just used those numbers for an example

----- Original Message ----
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Sent: Saturday, April 5, 2008 7:56:09 PM
Subject: [356Talk] Re: 356 values and a daily driver dilemma

http://www.subBlue.com'>http://www.subBlue.com'>http://www.subBlue.com'>http://www.subBlue.com'>http://www.subBlue.com'>http://www.subBlue.com'>http://www.subBlue.com NOTE: These CSS definitions are stored within the main page body so that you can use the phpBB2 theme administration centre. When you have finalised your style you could cut the final CSS code and place it in an external file, deleting this section to save bandwidth. */ /* General page style. The scroll bar colours only visible in IE5.5+ */ body { background-color:#D1D7DC;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:11;color:#000000;} /* General font families for common tags */ font,th,td,p {font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;} p, td {font-size:11;color:#000000;} a:link,a:active,a:visited {color:#990000;} a:hover {text-decoration:underline;color:#FF3333;} hr {height:0px;border:solid #D1D7DC 0px;border-top-width:1px;} h1,h2 {font-family:"Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:22px;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;line-height:120%;color:#000000;} /* This is the border line & background colour round the entire page */ .bodyline {background-color:#FFFFFF;border:1px #E6B800 solid;} /* General text */ .gen {font-size:12px;} .genmed {font-size:11px;} .gensmall {font-size:11px;line-height:12px;} .gen,.genmed,.gensmall {color:#000000;} a.gen,a.genmed,a.gensmall {color:#990000;text-decoration:none;} a.gen:hover,a.genmed:hover,a.gensmall:hover {color:#FF3333;text-decoration:underline;} /* Forum title: Text and link to the forums used in: index.php */ .forumlink {font-weight:bold;font-size:12px;color:#990000;} a.forumlink {text-decoration:none;color:#990000;} a.forumlink:hover{text-decoration:underline;color:#FF3333;} /* The content of the posts (body of text) */ .postbody {font-size:12px;line-height:18px;} a.postlink:link {text-decoration:none;color:#990000;} a.postlink:visited {text-decoration:none;color:#993333;} a.postlink:hover {text-decoration:underline;color:#FF3333;} /* Quote & Code blocks */ .code { --> Yeah, drive it. Look at the comparable values for your car and decide what you think it is worth. Then call an insurance company like Hagerty and get insurance that will put the value you believe your car is worth in your pocket if it is stolen or totaled.

When a recent eBay Speedster that had been clipped, had non-original engine and non-original trans and was pretty nasty looking went for $90.1K, I upped the ins on my numbers matching, fully sorted, albeit dog doo looking Speedster to $100k and kept driving it.

Drove to work Friday with the top down, slightly cool weather and warm sunshine, - arrived at work almost giggling with delight. With the appreciation in the last 11 years, if I were to get out of that car, I might never be able to get back into one. I'm not willing to take that risk.

STP

Steve Proctor
Registry # 1752

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Larry E Trimmer
356 Fan

#22 Post by Larry E Trimmer »

The original question was not about safety. It was about value.

Value should be determined by the owner. If you sell this car for 35k you could turn around and spend that money or more on a car that will just be a car. Look at the price of the VW jettas and ask yourself what car will give you the most bang for your buck.
Probablity takeabout 5 seconds to answer that. Insure it for replacement value and drive it like its your last day with it.

Enjoy

Robin Hansen
356 Fan

#23 Post by Robin Hansen »

At 09:40 PM 4/5/2008, Pat Daily wrote:
Not sure how old all of you on this topic are, but I am going to be
65 in a month and realize that my time able to drive a 356 is not increasing...
Pat,

You're right, but look at the bright side, I'm working on 14 years
past that age and it's still enjoyable.

robin

Robin Hansen
356 Fan

#24 Post by Robin Hansen »

At 09:40 PM 4/5/2008, Pat Daily wrote:
Not sure how old all of you on this topic are, but I am going to be
65 in a month and realize that my time able to drive a 356 is not
increasing, but decreasing at the speed of light.
Opps Pat,

Make that 24 not 14, but its still enjoyable at 88.

robin

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#25 Post by Pat Daily »

Robin, that is outstanding!!! I might really have to get her painted if I hang around that long.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Don Brister
356 Fan

Longevity

#26 Post by Don Brister »

We could make the case that owning and driving a 356 will actually add years to your life due to stress reduction. I've never been stressed when driving my little tub...except for the time the generator light came on....
Don Brister
1965 C Coupe 219770
Registry #17324

Ashley Page
356 Fan

Re: Longevity

#27 Post by Ashley Page »

Don Brister wrote:We could make the case that owning and driving a 356 will actually add years to your life due to stress reduction. I've never been stressed when driving my little tub...except for the time the generator light came on....
I know this is true - but I suspect only if you truly don't worry about driving it and where you park it.

Gert Gehlhaar
356 Fan

#28 Post by Gert Gehlhaar »

I don't understand people that restore their cars and then don't drive them. I do it so I can drive them and have fun - like it was said "Life is way to short not to enjoy them". Insurance is a must and then have fun!
Here are my daily drivers:

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Driving a 356

#29 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I sold my last 356SC ( a well sorted "short track" car with 12 Volt conversion built by a Chicago region 356er) because I was driving it about 7K miles a year including to and from work on I 94. 68 mile round trip! In 7 years my only DNF while driving was when the aftermarket chrome generator pulley broke. I sold it because I felt that I shouldn't be driving a 29 year old car all the time. My mistake. Hopefully my 64 C will be done and back on the road next spring. As I am older and wiser now I WILL DRIVE IT!
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Robert Boyle
356 Fan

#30 Post by Robert Boyle »

All this talk about values, safety, and driving is making me think of what a beautiful day it is here in LA and how perfect the weather is for a drive. Maybe I'll see some of you out there on the road in my D! :)

-Robert
Robert Boyle