Rocker Stands

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Pascal Giai
356 Fan

Rocker Stands

#1 Post by Pascal Giai »

There is Magnesium and Aluminum rocker stands for late engines. Aluminum is bright silver, magnesium is darker.
Do they have different numbers embossed ? If yes, witch numbers for witch stand ?
Do we have to avoid magnesium stands at all cost ???

Thank you !

Pascal Giai

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Rocker Stands

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Look at the engine case; that's aluminum. If they are darker than that, and notably light in weight, they are mag and are not to be used.
Bruce Anderson gave talk at one of Bob Campbell's Ventura events years ago; he said Mag belongs back in the ground from whence it came or on race cars; NOWHERE else. I have to agree.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Craig Richter »

Me too.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#4 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Ron LaDow wrote:Look at the engine case; that's aluminum. If they are darker than that, and notably light in weight, they are mag and are not to be used.
Bruce Anderson gave talk at one of Bob Campbell's Ventura events years ago; he said Mag belongs back in the ground from whence it came or on race cars; NOWHERE else. I have to agree.

Here is a comparison. I don't think I have to say which is which.

Regards

Jim
Attachments
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Pascal Giai
356 Fan

#5 Post by Pascal Giai »

Jim,
could you tell us the part number for each stand.

Thank you !

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Ron, Mg is used extensively in aircraft for its light weight as you know. It functions well if it's protected from corrosion and torque specs for studs and bolts are strictly observed. What are the consequences of using it as a rocker stand that condemn it, lack of strength in tension & shear?

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron LaDow »

Dennis ODonnell wrote:Ron, Mg is used extensively in aircraft for its light weight as you know. It functions well if it's protected from corrosion and torque specs for studs and bolts are strictly observed. What are the consequences of using it as a rocker stand that condemn it, lack of strength in tension & shear?
AFAIK, the studs (and the female threads) are identical for the Mg and Al stands; the Al stands are subject to thread failure from over-torquing the rocker shafts, so its not surprising the Mg units were even more susceptible.
But it's also kind of a reverse question: WIH did the factory spec Mg? Was a 5oz. weight saving seen as so valuable as to use the stuff? (it ain't easy or cheap to cast).
Is it used genrally in GA aircraft?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Vic Skirmants »

The magnesium stands have the studs screwed in, as one would expect. The aluminum ones seem to have them cast in place; don't try to unscrew them! It is possible the earliest aluminum stands had screw-in studs, but I haven't seen any. Of course the only way I can see them is when the stand gets broken. I'm under the impression that the magnesium stands were a S-90 item; please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dick Weiss »

I agree for the S90, Vic,

However, I never tried or had to replace any studs in the stands, but studs being 'cast in'?
That would really take some tooling to do that!

Dick

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Were the 356 studs in the Al stand an interference fit rather than cast in; stand heated, studs chilled for insertion? It's the kind of small-shop specialty work the German economy's founded on.

Mg kept weight to a minimum in piston a/c engines and other large castings like gear legs. This old Continental's 470cu in vs. a 356's ~100 yet only weighs 1/3 more. The accessory case (rt of the red line) is cast Mg, mounting surfaces for starter, generator, mags, vacuum pump etc are machined. It was chromated to prevent corrosion. Al replaced most uses so weight has increased requiring more power for the same speed.
P1080860 copy.jpg

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#11 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Here are the 3 casting numbers I found. I couldn't for the life of my find a "02". I looked through about 50 of them. The "01" is a mag one the the "03" and "OR" are aluminum. I can only assume the the "OR" are from 912s.

Ciao

Jim
Attachments
IMG_0160.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Pascal Giai
356 Fan

#12 Post by Pascal Giai »

This is what I was looking for, thank you so much !

Pascal Giai

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#13 Post by Craig Richter »

I never kept any records on this kind of stuff, but as I remember (a questionable thing these days according to my wife), the first '60 S90's came with the .01 magnesium rocker stands. '60-on N, S, SC and 912 all came with alu stands. The last S90's (63?) even changed to the alu stands, presumably because P saw too many mag stand failures . My b-in-law's '60 S90 has over the years broken both sides, leaving the driver stranded waiting for the flatbed (twice), the only stranding failures in her whole life. That's why I have often cautioned against using the mag stands.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Normals still used the old steel stands.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#15 Post by Dick Weiss »

I rebuild steel stands, too--have several available + good shafts and rockers.

Dick