741 transaxle removal question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

741 transaxle removal question

#1 Post by Carl Swirsding »

I need some guidance on the final steps to remove a 741 transaxle from my C Coupe. Engine, clutch cable, back up switch, starter, brakes, etc, etc have all been removed. I have the factory manual (Thank You Der White) but it gives little direction for the final removal steps. My questions are:

1. Shift linkage. I’ve removed the retaining bolt under the interior cover plate below the back seats. Do I need to do anything else to disconnect the shift linkage?

2. Two front mounts. By observation it appears that I loosen the front nuts (metal side, not rubber side) on the two front mounts, then lift up the front of the transaxle over the notches. Correct? Lift with a floor jack? Or is it better to remove the nuts. Do this first or last?

3. Rear mounts. Do I remove the hoop? First or after rear mounts?

4. Best support location. If I place a floor jack under the transmission, where is the approximate location for a reasonable balance point?

5. Drain oil. Should I drain the oil first?

6. More hands. Should I have a second person helping?

Any and all suggestions on this procedure would be greatly welcome. I don’t want to find myself with a transaxle on my chest or bending or breaking anything.

Keeping the faith.

Carl
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

Re: 741 transaxle removal question

#2 Post by Dan Epperly »

Carl Swirsding wrote:I need some guidance on the final steps to remove a 741 transaxle from my C Coupe. Engine, clutch cable, back up switch, starter, brakes, etc, etc have all been removed. I have the factory manual (Thank You Der White) but it gives little direction for the final removal steps. My questions are:

1. Shift linkage. I’ve removed the retaining bolt under the interior cover plate below the back seats. Do I need to do anything else to disconnect the shift linkage?

2. Two front mounts. By observation it appears that I loosen the front nuts (metal side, not rubber side) on the two front mounts, then lift up the front of the transaxle over the notches. Correct? Lift with a floor jack? Or is it better to remove the nuts. Do this first or last?

3. Rear mounts. Do I remove the hoop? First or after rear mounts?

4. Best support location. If I place a floor jack under the transmission, where is the approximate location for a reasonable balance point?

5. Drain oil. Should I drain the oil first?

6. More hands. Should I have a second person helping?

Any and all suggestions on this procedure would be greatly welcome. I don’t want to find myself with a transaxle on my chest or bending or breaking anything.

Keeping the faith.

Carl
Just did this job by myself. It's easier than pulling the engine.

1) I just removed the tapered grub screw that attaches the hockey stick to the coupler leaving the coupler attached to the shift rod.

2) I remove all the nuts, all four per mount.soon as you pull back it loosens up and the mounts fall out.

3) you simply disconnect the hoop from the body, the two big bolts at the top. To remove the hoop from the trans on the ground you have to loosen the three screws per mount and then remove all the bolts attaching them to the hoop.

4) I ise that funky rectangular bit at the bottom. I use a big floor Jack with a small 2x4 on it to Cushion it, it balances quite well there.

5) yes drain it first, your rebuilder will thank you.

6) you can do it yourself, two people is always nice but not necessary it doesn't weigh much. Just make sure you have it jacked up to the point that the weight it off the hoop and front mounts and slowly pull it back, I climb underneathe and nudge the Jack back while holding the trans. Once it's clear of the body you can lower it and pull it out, just make sure you push the axles out of the swing arm plates whatever they call them , at the same time nudge it back, a little there a littler there until the axles are out and the mounts detached.

Good luck.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Tip: Pay attention to the plates on front trans mounts. Usually on a C there will be one on each side. Replace in same position when you reinstall. And for fun watch how they install the trans in "Made by Hand"
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

#4 Post by Carl Swirsding »

Thank you Dan and Doug for your feedback on final steps to remove my transaxle. I did it this morning and it all went well. But man, what a greasy cruddy mess.

KTF,

Carl
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dan Epperly »

Carl Swirsding wrote:Thank you Dan and Doug for your feedback on final steps to remove my transaxle. I did it this morning and it all went well. But man, what a greasy cruddy mess.

KTF,

Carl
Yep,it can be. I was lucky,mine was pretty clean as it had been rebuilt not too long ago.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

50 plus years without a bath will do that. Now to clean without polluting the garage. Maybe Vic will chime in on how he does it safely. I am sure many of the 800 rebuilds he has done came to him in need of a bath. Including the one he did for me. I did use an old plastic ice scraper on the bad stuff and simple green and blue disposable grease rags before I took it to him though.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.