Door handle and lock diagram

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Pettengell
356 Fan

Door handle and lock diagram

#1 Post by David Pettengell »

So I got new lock receivers from Stoddard as mine were heavily pitted and when I took them apart it looks from the Stoddard diagram that I am missing some seals. Does anyone have a detailed diagram or instructions to construct them as they should be.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Door handle and lock diagram

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Ed Rutherford of Klasse 356 put together a piece on the door locks. I was at his shop today and got a copy as I was in the process of reassembling my friend's locks. Try Googling the topic or contact him directly.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#3 Post by Larry Coreth »

david pettengell,

Did you look at sec 6/3 of the B pats book ? See part # 17,19 in the Stoddard catalog http://www.stoddard.com/356/door-parts.html . Were the old ones not in there when you took the locks apart ?
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

David Pettengell
356 Fan

#4 Post by David Pettengell »

It seems that items 18 and 19 are missing from both of mine. Just trying to figure how to put them together properly once I get the parts.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brad Ripley »

Below is a photo layout of the parts to make a left-hand B/C door handle. Having put together many of these assemblies, it ain't easy the first time! I will write up an assembly guide to go in the nlaparts.com website in a few days.
Meanwhile, here's four truths to go by:

The door handle casting is neither a left nor a right, although an original casting will be marked L or R on the end. You can use the casting on either side of the car; the markings are hidden.

Original and reproduction door handles may look the same but different type seals are required (because of the way the groove was machined). Proper seal (and some grease) will keep the cylinder receiver casting from rattling.

The locking slider can be installed four ways; only two ways are correct.

The handle is locked if the key is vertical with teeth towards the ground.
The handle is unlocked if the key is horizontal with teeth towards the rear of car.
Attachments
Door HandleAssy  w_pt nos.jpg

David Pettengell
356 Fan

#6 Post by David Pettengell »

This is absolutely perfect. seems the thing I am missing is the seal for both handles

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

There is also a seal for the tumbler.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Pettengell
356 Fan

#8 Post by David Pettengell »

Oh ok, part number? Diagram?

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brad Ripley »

The plastic seal comes with reproduction lock cylinders. See

http://www.stoddard.com/64453160901-nla.html

The seal does not come with original Porsche lock cylinders.

This is a nylon seal and also acts as a bushing which may help take out some slop at the top cylinder -- depends on machining, thick grease and replating of the parts. Things will fit without it in any case. Watch to be sure the upper lock pin clears the seal.

David Pettengell
356 Fan

#10 Post by David Pettengell »

Ok so took my locks apart and they were orientated wrong so I sorted that, Found they had the seals just inside the handle if looking from the outside, one was degraded. Neither had the seals in the picture above. Not sure where they will situate when I get them?

Also, how do I tell if my handles are repro or original? No part numbers on them and quality of chrome on the inside not good so my guess is repro. Just want to know which seals to buy as it indicated above they are different for original or repro handles?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

David: If there are no numbers on the handles, assume they are repros. Brad provided the part number for the tumbler seals. If you look at the pic, you'll see a "finger" on it. If you look at the tumbler, it has a notch. The finger goes in the notch. You have to depress the pins to slide it on.

Installing the seals in the handle can be a bit of a PITA. I like to soften them up in hot water to help with installation. The ones I've used have an "O" ring inside the groove. Remove that first. I've seen the seal installed with the smooth side facing out and with the grooved side facing out. I think the latter is correct (and if not, someone please correct me!). Make sure there are no remnants of old seal in the handle groove. The slightest bit can impede the new seal fully seating.

I like to use white grease when reassembling.

Keep us posted.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Pettengell
356 Fan

#12 Post by David Pettengell »

So I got a couple of the nylon seals: http://www.stoddard.com/64453160901-nla.html

Took apart my locks again and can not figure where this seal goes. Anyone?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

They go on the tumbler itself. See the "finger" on the seal? There is a notch on the edge of the tumbler this fits unto. The seal slides onto the tumbler finger first.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Pettengell
356 Fan

#14 Post by David Pettengell »

Ah ok, so inside the receiver?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

Correct, David. The seal is on the outside of the tumbler which fits into the receiver.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe