Stone guard identification

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#16 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Alex, You can get this type from Stoddard's. These are the style that you usually see on Speedsters. They would replace the glass that should currently cover the lights on your T-6 if that's the car you want them for.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#17 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Alex, Here's what they look like on a T-6.

Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Tom Farnam
356 Fan

Headlamp Covers

#18 Post by Tom Farnam »

Emil (or anyone else) - what is a set of ORIGINAL $peed$ster Headlight Grills worth today? Not repros?

Tom
Tom Farnam C356C Reg. #450
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639
62Roadster at comcast.net
http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/ Racewalking - www.walkingtom.blogspot.com

charles kourmpates

#19 Post by charles kourmpates »

I purchased a set years ago of the type that replaces the glass.

The label on the box reads, PORSCHE special products, inc.

The label has the porsche crest and the porsche font.

The part number is: PSP.62.114

There's also a round yellow label the size of a nickel.. Like a happy face without the black ink.

I could take photos.

Are mine "originals?"

The issue I have with them, is without glass, water gets in the headlight assembly. Probably gets in anyway, but not as much.

Charles

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#20 Post by Emil Wojcik »

I replaced my original glass (now stored safely away) with these because I've always liked the look and also because when my car used to get wet and still had the glass, they would fog on the inside. Although it's a driver I don't usually have it out in the rain. But if I washed it just before a show I would end up showing up with fogged lights if the show wasn't too far from home.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Bill Bixby
356 Fan

#21 Post by Bill Bixby »

Back in the 70's when I purchased (now sold) my '57 Speedster, it came with the original stone guards, but they were damaged. I believe they were chrome over pot metal, and I couldn't find replacements, so I was supprised to see they now sell aftermarket ones on the VW site. Not to change the subject, has anyone seen the machined metal inserts that you could slip in below the headlamps? Not going to win you any concours,
but they looked sharp!

Bill
Bill Bixby

Dave Brenny
356 Fan

Headlight grills

#22 Post by Dave Brenny »

Here's the style applied to my SC. They are retained by 2 thumbscrews on either side at the top, and by a clip that fits between the mounting tab for the headlight cover and a tab at the bottom of the grill

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#23 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Bill, You don't have to go to the VW vendors for repros. You can get them from Registry vendors. Mine are from Stoddard. They are chrome over cast pot metal like the originals.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

Re: Headlight grills

#24 Post by Alex Mestas »

Dave Brenny wrote:Here's the style applied to my SC. They are retained by 2 thumbscrews on either side at the top, and by a clip that fits between the mounting tab for the headlight cover and a tab at the bottom of the grill
Hi Dave:
Do the two thumb screws on the sides, fit into the existing screw holes of the chrome headlight rim? You didn't have to remove the lens did you? Where did you find them? What's the brand name? They look really SHARP!
Alex
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Alan Robinson
356 Fan

#25 Post by Alan Robinson »

The thumbscrew type were available from the acc. catalogs back in the day. Glass stays in place but you do have to drill a hole in the rim.