Worcester MA car transporter damage to my 57 356 A coupe

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alan Surgi
356 Fan

Worcester MA car transporter damage to my 57 356 A coupe

#1 Post by Alan Surgi »

Anyone with knowledge of the July 8-14th horrific damage to my car which was being transported by Cardoso Trans, INC. and being repaired without my knowledge in a Worcester MA auto body shop probably on Park Ave please contact me to discuss. The drivers door was practically ripped off the hinges and subsquently repaired to disguise the severity of the accident probably when they were offloading from the trailer. Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance

Trying to KTF,

Alan Surgi
Attachments
rear door bad alignment.jpg
front bad door aligmnent.jpg
drivers side inner door damage.jpg
CU door frame damage.jpg
bent broken drvrs door frame.jpg

David Seeland
356 Fan

Re: Worcester MA car transporter damage to my 57 356 A coupe

#2 Post by David Seeland »

Hi Alan,
I hope Cardoso has insurance but It looks unlikely to me. They probably hope that you will settle for $100 cash to replace the window frame and not notice the other poorly repaired damage. How do you prove that the car didn't have pre-existing damage? What do they say happened?
Regards, David
David Seeland

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Alton »

David Seeland wrote:Hi Alan,
I hope Cardoso has insurance but It looks unlikely to me. They probably hope that you will settle for $100 cash to replace the window frame and not notice the other poorly repaired damage. How do you prove that the car didn't have pre-existing damage? What do they say happened?
Regards, David
Classic car transporter drivers are usually the world's toughest concours judges--I've seen some in action.

It should be up to Cardoso to prove the damage wasn't pre-existing. The big legal question is where Alan--or his insurance company--would have to file a lawsuit.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#4 Post by Tom Tate »

Alan,
Give me a call, I have a member in Worcester that may be able to help.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Transporters are the worst, I once watched guy ball up a Pre-A. You can read some real horror stories here:

https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/201 ... -porsches/

Hopefully you have pics of the car before they picked it up, this will help prove the damage wasn't pre-existing. I'm fighting it out with Progressive right now about a car that was smashed, it isn't fun, the truck driver is saying they didn't do it, even though the driver yelled at me that the car hit him in the leg when he let go of it...
Attachments
ballup.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

James Belisle
356 Fan

#6 Post by James Belisle »

What was the name of the body shop? I'm originally from Worcester, and I have a good friend who's a body guy there. I can check to see if he knows anything.

-J

Alan Surgi
356 Fan

#7 Post by Alan Surgi »

Thanks everyone for your assistance with this nightmare. The car is now at European Collectibles waiting for their supplemental estimate so proper repairs can be started. Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly for additional funds from Hagerty since their initial check to me was for only $8,400.:(

ARGH....

Alan

Alan Surgi
356 Fan

#8 Post by Alan Surgi »

DSC_1883.JPG
Update on repairs from transporter damage! European Collectibles have done a terrific job on repairing the original door and other damage from Cardoso Transport, Inc. on the home stretch now reassembling after a beautiful paint match and respray. Hagerty has been very good with several supplemental checks and I can't imagine anyone insuring their vintage car with anyone else.

KTF,

Alan
Attachments
IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I cannot speak from experience about any company but Hagerty. They have my business and will continue to have my business after the experience I have had with them getting My 356 C hood repaired. Great company to deal with.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jon Schmid »

Hi Alan,
If you don't mind me asking, did Shane East do the body and paint work on your car?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#11 Post by Adam Wright »

Hagerty is the best, we like them so much we shared space with them at Hershey this year.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#12 Post by Bob Kittel »

I would be at both ends of transporting a car, loading and unloading. Then there is the worry of road time.
Bob Kittel

Alan Surgi
356 Fan

#13 Post by Alan Surgi »

Update! Thanks everyone for your sympathy and support over the past many months. In answer to the question of who painted the car it was European Collectibles in house guru Memo. I had a blast at the recent Road Kings Car Show in Burbank even though a '52 MGTC with a blown Daimler V-8 won the European class. Maybe if Rommel had a hemi midships I coud have won something! I should have gone to San Moreno perhaps, oh well a huge amount of interest in the old tub from spectators. All in all a very happy ending from a very bad incident.

KTF,

Alan
Attachments
IMG_0824.JPG
Chris Jacobs_Alan Surgi.jpg
ATS_1474.JPG
ATS_1473.JPG
ATS_1472.JPG
ATS_1471.JPG
ATS_1470.JPG
ATS_1469.JPG
Whatever It Takes almost fnl em.jpg

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bruce Smith »

It looks great Alan, congratulations for finally having your car back. Nice rally gear, right down to the calculator.
Bruce Smith

Thom Fitzpatrick
356 Fan

#15 Post by Thom Fitzpatrick »

There should be a thread just on auto transport horror stories.

I recently sold a 1952 bug, and the buyer "knew a guy" to get it transported cheaply. It ended up on one of those huge generic open transports, with the Hondas and Toyotas all parked at weird angles. When he got the car, the battery was dead, the battery cover was missing and the back seat had been set on fire. The carb and air cleaner had also been set on fire. The crankcase was so full of gas that it was pouring out of the tailpipe.
1956 VW Single Cab
1957 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupé
1957 VW 23-window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Unimog 411
1963 Mercedes Unimog 404
1965 Jaguar E-Type
2003 BMW M3