T1 fuel cock

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Hugo Sheers
356 Fan

T1 fuel cock

#1 Post by Hugo Sheers »

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how to identify whether my fuel cock is original or reproduction? I'm more likely to attempt a re-build if it's the original, the car is a '56.

Also a word of warning re draining the fuel tank - your fuel gauge may not be an accurate representation of how much petrol is left in the tank. Either that or I've struck oil!

KTF
Hugo

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: T1 fuel cock

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

I don't know of a reproduction of the early petcock. In any event, for rebuilding the petcock you have, you should find repair parts among VW sources. Check the date on your fuel tank; maybe a later one was installed and you will need parts for the later (Porsche-sourced) petcock.

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ned Gorski »

Hugo
Not sure when they started using the later petcock. i know 55 had the early ones. the threads are different than the later ones. the early one is a little smaller than the later ones .. i thought 56 was the first generation larger one but i'm not certain. post a picture of yours.. that's the easiest way to tell.

Regards Ned
55 cab

Hugo Sheers
356 Fan

#4 Post by Hugo Sheers »

Thanks for your replies. Please see picture of the petcock fitted to my car. It differs from the picture in the workshop manual and the current Stoddard reproduction in that the fuel line is at 90 degrees to the handle rather than 180 degrees.

The parts book suggests 1955 Coupe 53527 is the transition from part number 356 56 022 to 644 201 021 so I suspect all A's came with the Porsche sourced part. I can't find a date on the petrol tank but the car is April '56 completion date.

The petcock has not worked in the 'AUF' position in the 13 years I've had the car. I was advised not to mess with it so have just driven in 'RES' position, however I had a fuel leak in the cockpit so need to decide whether to rebuild or replace (along with replacing the soft fuel line).

KTF
Hugo

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

That's a 1962-65 T-6 fuelcock. If it fits your tank, then a regular T-2 will fit also.

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ned Gorski »

well your in luck if you don't mind that its not original to your car and if your Leary about rebuilding it.. you can simply buy a new complete one .. buy the regular 356 t-2 petcock with the rear fuel exit spout you should have no issues ..

Hugo Sheers
356 Fan

#7 Post by Hugo Sheers »

Thanks fellas, the good news is I made use of a repro petcock I bought maybe 12 years ago and never got round to fitting and am now awaiting delivery of some new soft fuel line.

The not so good news - the gauze filter that came with the repro petcock wouldn't allow the fibre seal to snug up to the gauze washer resulting in a fresh inundation of petrol into the cabin. I cleaned the gauze from the old petcock in petrol and re-used this and so far no leaks.

I thought I'd take the opportunity to replace all the fuel lines as they are at least 10 years old. Did Porsche use jubilee clips on the soft fuel line to hard line joins? Some of mine have them but not all (possibly as some are quite hard to access).

Cheers
Hugo

Hugo Sheers
356 Fan

#8 Post by Hugo Sheers »

So the soft fuel line arrived yesterday and I installed the length running from the petcock to the hard fuel line. Getting the braided hose over hard fuel line was a bit of a challenge achieved only at the cost of a large blister on my thumb; I suspect the rubber content in the pipe is a bit lower than in the good old days.

Does anyone have any tips for pushing the braided hose over the hard fuel lines before I tackle the rest of the car?

Much obliged
Hugo

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

I use a little vinyl dressing on the metal fuel line to help the rubber slide on better.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#10 Post by Brad Ripley »

what size hose did you receive?
The tubes have an OD of 8 mm.

Hugo Sheers
356 Fan

#11 Post by Hugo Sheers »

The hose spec has ID 7mm but does not stretch easily!

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Brad Ripley »

Spec should be 7,5 mm

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dick Weiss »

Either braided fuel hose will fit the 8mm entry nipple and you DON'T need any clamps! There's no pressure and no end caps existed. Once it's on, you can't pull it off. Using clamps will eventually crack the hose ends causing leaks. My car has hoses w/o clamps
(no crimpings, either) over 16 years, and till no leaks! Screw clamps look ugly on the engine--imho.

Dick

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ned Gorski »

hugo i usually dip he rubber hose end into some just boiled water to soften it up just prior to pushing it on.