Transmission leak

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steven C Cuffel
356 Fan

Transmission leak

#1 Post by Steven C Cuffel »

I have a 63 S coup which is on its 3rd transmission leak in less than 3 years and 2,000 miles. I'm not sure if I picked the wrong mechanic or if I'm driving my car to hard. The leak has been in the same 2 places every time. One is between the axle plate and the transmission housing and the other is at the end of the axle boot riders side of the car. The area I live in has many steep hills which I climb on my weekend drives. I do put it into 3rd gear sometimes so I'm wondering if that may be the cause? Is 3rd gear too long of a gear for the hills and I'm the problem or do I need a new mechanic?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Transmission leak

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

There are a few possible explanations but I don't think your driving style is one of them. I'd check the orientation of the axle boit seams, if the axle tubes are smooth where they are clamped, clamp pressure and the surfaces of the plates and transaxle case. I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I will weigh in.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dick Weiss »

Steven,

Make sure the large thick-end of the Split(?) boot is seated onto the side-plate flange, angle the split approximately
45 degrees forward at the top, don't over-tighten the screws--just evenly, and snug the screw clamp section directly
over the joint(s).

Dick

Steven C Cuffel
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steven C Cuffel »

Mike & Dick,

Thank you for the input. I slid under the car for a closer look and discovered the boot is leaking from both sides. The boot split is oriented at 1 o'clock. I'll try rotating it and cross my fingers.

Mike,

Is there a local mechanic that you use and would recommend? I have a few other issues I would like a professional to look at. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Steven

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Add location to your posts. Maybe then mechanic advice can be offered. Or drive it to Dick Weiss who is in Cincinnati,Ohio or Vic Skirmants North of Detroit in the Boondocks.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Hatfield »

If you take it to Vic, he'll show you how to fit seamless boots without driving out the pins and disassembling the axel tubes...amazing!
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

Steven C Cuffel
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steven C Cuffel »

Sorry, I'm in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Doug McDonnell »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31705&hilit=Los+Ang ... ansmission Since you are in the LA area perhaps Mike will comment again. Or PM you.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hi, Steve! Another local guy! Excellent!

Contact Ed at Klasse 356. He's in Torrance.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jon Schmid »

Steven,
You can give Jon Bunin down the road (a bit) at Werkstatt in Vista a call. He's a vey busy guy but if it's a boot replacement maybe he'll be able to work you into his schedule. Good luck either way--