New 356 A owner with question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
J Warren
356 Fan

New 356 A owner with question

#1 Post by J Warren »

Hey guys,
New 356A owner from Georgia here. Im one of those "new generation/younger owners" mentioned in all the vintage Porsche magazines. I have had multiple 911's including the 2016 911 Turbo S I drive daily. But was always intrigued with the "original" Porsche. So I found and bought a 1957 coupe with almost no rust and original engine. That said, something looked strange to me when comparing it with other 356's from the era. It finally hit me that the rear fenders have been trimmed. Was this a common modification? Was it for larger wheels/tires?
Its not rolled but the edges are not sharp either. The cut is very professionally done ( even and symmetrical on both sides). Biggest question is how to fix it. Curious what you guys think. Thank you in advance for your help/advice and I look forward to my new "adventure" with this awesome machine.
Jesse
Attachments
356 - 1.jpg
356 - 1.jpg (17.94 KiB) Viewed 837 times
356 - 1 (1).jpg

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: New 356 A owner with question

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jesse,
Welcome. Always happy to see new owners.
But, yes, those openings sure have been cut. Perhaps it was common someplace and some time where I wasn't, then, but I've seen none the equal of yours.
Take a look at the forth image here: https://porsche356registry.org/ (the red T5 in front of the railroad car). That's pretty much what your rear openings should match.
Fixing them is body-work, and since there are no seams, you're stuck with the classic 356 question: "How much do I paint?"
Dunno what to suggest; it's opinion on whether they should be fixed. Opinion and wallet contents, anyhow.
I'm not in love with the cuts, but good looking car, otherwise.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

The car was probably dirt tracked at some point, or ice raced, something where they needed more clearance.

There is an active group in your area

http://www.356sog.org/

I would start hanging out with those guys, find out what local body shops they've worked with. You can get the fenders here:

http://www.356panels.com/rear_fenders.html

I've seen cars with fenders like that before, it's always a hoot.

Enjoy your new car, a 356 is like no other Porsche.

On a side note, I grew up in Atlanta, though I probably wouldn't recognize it now.
Attachments
WVracer.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ed Lawrence
356 Fan
Tag: Keeping the 356 Faith!

#4 Post by Ed Lawrence »

Welcome Jesse!

Adam is correct, we have a good group of guys locally (www.356sog.org). I've had Ray Morgan do an interior restoration on my car, very capable guy with these cars. His shop is www.vmrcars.com in Jasper, GA. We'd love to see you and your car.
Ed Lawrence
1959 sunroof coupe
Instagram - @the.ed.lawrence
www.356sog.org