Intermittent Starting Problem

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

Re: Intermittent Starting Problem

#16 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Ok. try changing the connector on the coil coming from the ignition switch cut the wire back a little and solder on a new connector. tom

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#17 Post by David Jones »

Not the issue Tom. He already jumpered out the ignition switch and had the same problem. I think the problem may lie in the distributor. Since the coil has been changed out already I would now go back to the old distributor and see what happens. It may have had a misfire but at least it ran.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Peter Kovacevich
356 Fan

#18 Post by Peter Kovacevich »

I was having the starting problem before I installed the 123-Ignition but I will swap it out with the old distributor to see if that is causing the starting issue. It will take a couple days before I can complete the swap and test. Since yesterday, I've started the car 4 times out of 4 attempts.

On a positive note, although we no longer have a Porsche dealership in the area, I located one of the old Porsche mechanics at a local Subaru dealership. At least I have an option to have someone else with expertise look at the car.

Peter Kovacevich
356 Fan

#19 Post by Peter Kovacevich »

It's been more than a year, however the starting problem has been resolved. The former Porsche mechanic wasn't interested in working on a carbureted car but I found someone locally who was experienced on British cars who was willing to help me. This spring the carbs were rebuilt, and despite having some significant issues after the rebuild, the car is now starting and running well. I also replaced the battery so the starter spins the engine up better and I have a greater sense of security that I can get the car started. Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#20 Post by James Learmonth »

Peter,
Have you cranked the engine to start and checked that there is a spark at each plug? If there isn't one I would suspect the Precision 123. I have been using the 123 for about five years but I do not trust them completely. Two years ago my car was in the shop for extensive repair and repaint. The engine was removed and left on a shelf for about four months. When reinstalled in the now beautiful car, it wouldn't start. Installed a Bosch 050 and drove away to Helen, GA. Returned the 123 to ED Madak and had it repaired for $160 circuit board.
I still run with the 123 but now the 050 shares space with the spare tire.

Jim Learmonth
Houston, TX

Peter Kovacevich
356 Fan

#21 Post by Peter Kovacevich »

Hi Jim,

Yes, I did check and I am getting a spark to all the plugs with the 123 Ignition. I have thought about swapping the 123 Ignition out for my Bosch 022 just to see what happens. I had the 022 tested on a Sun machine by a friend of a friend. Advance and dwell were spot on. The setup on the 123 ignition is a little confusing, but once I figured out how the set the static timing it seemed to work well. I do think the car has a more steady idle with the 123 ignition. However, like you, I keep the Bosch 022 in my travel kit.

Peter