Wilhoit Short Shift Kit?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

Wilhoit Short Shift Kit?

#1 Post by Conrad Carter »

Has anyone installed this kit? How difficult was install? Worth the effort/cost?
Conrad

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Wilhoit Short Shift Kit?

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I have it in my '63 B coupe and like it. It is a bit "notchy". The car is currently in restoration and upon assembly, I'll install the Stromsky shift coupler which should be an improvement.

Installation is relatively simple and, considering the parts and R & D, worth the price.

Some favor the "hot knife through butter" shifting. I prefer a shorter shift.

I do have to add that since the short shift kit includes a separate mounting plate, your shift lock will no longer be functional as it can't engage the collar on the shift rod. I have modified a shift lock with longer extensions to engage the collar. It has yet to be installed or tested.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#3 Post by Edwin Ek »

I have an interest in this, but don't like the idea of giving up the functionality of the shift lock. Why is it not possible to simply use the shorter lever? I don't have a car to look at and am unfamiliar with the setup.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

I've had it in my C for years; I like it.
Porsche synchros stink and this doesn't help, but the change to synthetic lube made it almost as as good (bad) as the stock shifter.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jon Bunin »

Ron LaDow wrote:Porsche synchros stink and this doesn't help, but the change to synthetic lube made it almost as as good (bad) as the stock shifter.
Ron, except for an occasional balk into 1st gear from neutral, shifting in any B or C car should be smooth and light- the synchros themselves were never a problem.
You will lose a certain amount of leverage with any short-shift kit, and I would not recommend synthetic oil in any 356 transmission with synchromesh.
Jon Bunin

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

John would have to weigh in one why the adapter plate and modified shifter are necessary but I suspect it has to do with changing the geometry of the action.

I haven't installed my modified shift lock yet. I had brass stock silver-soldered to the tips of the lock to lengthen it. It will probably need tweaking to work properly.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jon Bunin wrote: Ron, except for an occasional balk into 1st gear from neutral, shifting in any B or C car should be smooth and light- the synchros themselves were never a problem.
You will lose a certain amount of leverage with any short-shift kit, and I would not recommend synthetic oil in any 356 transmission with synchromesh.
My mistake; it's got Swepco fluid, which is not synthetic.
But Jon, if you grew up spoiled on M22 transmissions, these things leave a lot to be desired.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#8 Post by C J Murray »

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my race trans and some street cars without any problems. The other street cars just get the regular stuff, whatever brand. I have not yet found a reason to use Swepco or any of the "boutique" oils especially considering the price and inconvenience. Oil is like a religion, do whatever you believe in and don't be too judgmental about other beliefs.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#9 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Great analogy Cliff, oil and religion. Mind if I steal that one? Please keep up the banter here, this short shift assembly seems interesting. Are there more details somewhere? And, I never go directly from neutral into first gear in any Porsche, always tap into second before moving the shifter towards first.

Steve Kleege
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steve Kleege »

Does anyone know if this kit can be used on pre-T6 cars? The Wilhoit site describes it as being for "356 B-T6 or C."

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ron LaDow »

Steve,
Pretty sure mine (10 years back?) won't fit an earlier car, but it's certainly worth calling John to see if that's no longer true.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#12 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Rod Emory mentions his 58 A Special has a Willhoit short shift kit in it in the Leno video. That said, it has a polo motor and 901 transmission with crazy modifications. But if he can fit it, it must be at least possible.

Steve Kleege
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Kleege »

Thanks, All. I'll check with the folks at Wilhoit.