Squeaking from the rear area of the car

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

Squeaking from the rear area of the car

#1 Post by Harold Singh »

Folks,

I've been searching the forum and applying diagnostic solutions since I started having this squeak a few weeks back.

The squeak is from somewhere in the rear and is rhythmic as if it's from the engine or moving with the engine but does not exist at idle.
If I let off the gas and coast down hill, it will only squeak when I hit a bump. So something is touching something and the engine movement when accelerating makes it happen but so does hitting a bump.

I have disassembled and greased everything on the distributer. I have tried spraying the bushings with lube. I also checked the crank pulley where the sheet metal would come up to meet it based on searches.

Would worn motor mounts cause a squeak like this?
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Squeaking from the rear area of the car

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Remove your hubcaps and see if it goes away. If you have stock through the bumper exhaust make sure S pipes are not in contact with exhaust funnels.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#3 Post by Harold Singh »

Rear bumper is not on right now and I'll try the hubcaps and see. Out of curiosity, could you can tell me where the hubcaps rub? Or more importantly, if that fixes it how do I fix it while the caps are on?

Thanks Doug!
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Would cause more of a rattling than a squeak probably. From being loose. Fix I have read is to put on then turn until tight. Unless you have replaced torsion bar bushings they could be culprit I suppose. Not so easy a fix though.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#5 Post by Harold Singh »

The noise seems to be rhythmic with the engine accelerating while driving down the road. If I let off the gas and coast then it stops unless I hit a bump and only lets out one squeak then. Does that sound like what the bushings would do or would they not make noise except on compression of the suspension?
I tried the spray lube on the bushings and it didn't go away. I'm slowly replacing all the rubber parts of the car so I wouldn't be surprised if that was it but, it just didn't make sense during acceleration and sounded more like a pulley or something when under load. Although the frequency is a bit slow like the engine is bouncing under load or something. I'll try the caps first and see. If not then I'll try to really soak the bushings to be sure.

It sounds like you would imagine a sound effect for a mouse running on a wheel. Not fast enough to be the crank pulley really, I guess.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#6 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Often a 'mouse squeak' is caused by a dry distributor shaft. A bit of lubrication on the outside of the shaft, directly below the rotor will cure this.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

open a door and bounce the car down and up by jumping on the sill to see if you can reproduce. Try both sides. If you can then buy a cheap mechanics stethoscope and use it to isolate while someone else does the bouncing. Is your sound metallic? Do you have a grommet where the fuel line passes through the front sheet metal?

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#8 Post by Harold Singh »

Geoff Fleming wrote:Often a 'mouse squeak' is caused by a dry distributor shaft. A bit of lubrication on the outside of the shaft, directly below the rotor will cure this.
Geoff I actually mentioned that above. I had found that in the searching and disassembled and lubed everything in the distributor, including the cam that moves the points. It idles better but the squeak isn't from that.
Harold Singh wrote:Folks,

I've been searching the forum and applying diagnostic solutions since I started having this squeak a few weeks back.

The squeak is from somewhere in the rear and is rhythmic as if it's from the engine or moving with the engine but, does not exist at idle.
If I let off the gas and coast down hill, it will only squeak when I hit a bump. So something is touching something and the engine movement when accelerating makes it happen but so does hitting a bump.

I have disassembled and greased everything on the distributer. I have tried spraying the bushings with lube. I also checked the crank pulley where the sheet metal would come up to meet it based on searches.

Would worn motor mounts cause a squeak like this?

Also, it doesn't make the noise it at idle (yet?).
Last edited by Harold Singh on Wed May 04, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#9 Post by Harold Singh »

Doug McDonnell wrote:open a door and bounce the car down and up by jumping on the sill to see if you can reproduce. Try both sides. If you can then buy a cheap mechanics stethoscope and use it to isolate while someone else does the bouncing. Is your sound metallic? Do you have a grommet where the fuel line passes through the front sheet metal?

Good thinking! I'll try and do that bounce from each side. I did try and bounce the rear but, without the bumper I was afraid to push too hard on the rear body panel sheetmetal.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Daryl Bruhl
356 Fan

#10 Post by Daryl Bruhl »

My ears aren't what they used to be and for a long time I thought my squeak from the rear was some rubber bushing or something under car? Turn out to be my rear seat backs squeaking where they rub together in the middle and where they rub on the side panels. I think stuff like ArmorAll caused the squeak and now I have small strips of paper towel where the seat backs make contact with each other to stop the squeaks. Good luck and KTF
Enjoy
Daryl 63 Super 90
Daryl Bruhl

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#11 Post by Harold Singh »

Interesting! This may turn into a good list of crazy places to look for a squeak!
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Bob Slayden
356 Fan

#12 Post by Bob Slayden »

Look at your generator pulley assembly carefully. A pulley half that is fracturing from being improperly tensioned can squeak before it finally fails.
Bob Slayden
'62 roadster

Paul Kust
356 Fan

#13 Post by Paul Kust »

Harold, while you are at the generator, apply some belt dressing to the fan belt. When the belt gets old and glazed it can squeek and drive you nuts.
Paul Kust
'57 T-1 101611

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dave Erickson »

Jack the engine up from below and release it a few times. Just enough to take the weight of the engine off the mounts. Make sure the transmission hoop is not moving and the engine and transmission are also not moving in relation to the body (bad tranny mounts).

When you let off the gas and coast downhill, is that with the clutch engaged or disengaged that you get a squeak when going over a bump?

Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

#15 Post by Ned Hamlin »

Check your spring plates.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra