Squeaking from the rear area of the car

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

Re: Squeaking from the rear area of the car

#16 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Perhaps the "squeak"may be due to dry rubber bushings on rear axle trailing arm connections to the body effected by acceleration/deceleration load positions, and by movements going over road humps.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#17 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Wil Mittelbach wrote:Perhaps the "squeak"may be due to dry rubber bushings on rear axle trailing arm connections to the body effected by acceleration/deceleration load positions, and by movements going over road humps.
+1

Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

#18 Post by Harold Singh »

Here is a stationary bounce test. Much lower tone and not the higher pitched squeak I have been hearing.

https://youtu.be/jNH9J25_Rfw
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

#19 Post by Harold Singh »

DaveErickson wrote:Jack the engine up from below and release it a few times. Just enough to take the weight of the engine off the mounts. Make sure the transmission hoop is not moving and the engine and transmission are also not moving in relation to the body (bad tranny mounts).

When you let off the gas and coast downhill, is that with the clutch engaged or disengaged that you get a squeak when going over a bump?
Engaged. It's in gear and just letting off the gas. I can try again in neutral and coast over some bumps.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#20 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Use a piece of garden hose about 5 ft long,one end to your ear to isolate sound source with helper bouncing car. Getting more likely it is 51 year old torsion bar bushings.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#21 Post by Norm Miller »

Once upon a time an elderly lady drove into the dealership (VW) in her Buick and said she had a terrible squeal in her engine.
Would we check it?

I opened the hood and a very angry black cat leaped out.
He should be in Los Angeles by now.

Squeaks and squeals are hard to diagnose

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#22 Post by Steve Hatfield »

Vic Skirmants wrote:
Wil Mittelbach wrote:Perhaps the "squeak"may be due to dry rubber bushings on rear axle trailing arm connections to the body effected by acceleration/deceleration load positions, and by movements going over road humps.
+1
A friend with a '60 Rdstr has a similar squeek. Whats the short term fix, if any?
Or must bushing replacement be the only option?
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#23 Post by Wes Bender »

There really isn't any short term fix, like squirting WD-40 at it. Best to get new bushings and the lube to go with them (if they're the plastic kind) and replace both sides. I used the ones that Performance Products sells and I'm happy with them. My weren't noisy, just badly worn. Handling's a lot better now.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#24 Post by Pat Daily »

Some years ago I used to have a squeak that would go away when I sprayed white lithium grease or WD 40 on the rear suspension bushings. I finally had them replaced.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#25 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Steve Hatfield wrote:
Vic Skirmants wrote:
+1
A friend with a '60 Rdstr has a similar squeek. Whats the short term fix, if any?
Or must bushing replacement be the only option?
Providing that bushings not badly worn, remove and reinstall after generously coating with a rubber compatible silicone grease or oil.

Danny Escobar
356 Fan

#26 Post by Danny Escobar »

Geoff Fleming wrote: Wed May 04, 2016 5:42 pm Often a 'mouse squeak' is caused by a dry distributor shaft. A bit of lubrication on the outside of the shaft, directly below the rotor will cure this.
Thank you thank you thank you. I was ready to pull the generator, then I ran the car without the fan belt. STILL squeaking! Next I was ready to pull the crank pulley then I saw this post. Whew! Popped two clips and a dab of TRW. I normally lube the cam lobes but I'll add this to the maintenance schedule.

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#27 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

(Repeats)
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

C J Murray
356 Fan

#28 Post by C J Murray »

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 7.05.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 7.05.39 AM.png (979.96 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Neil Schlabaugh
356 Fan

#29 Post by Neil Schlabaugh »

These are all great things to check! We had kinda same deal, intermittent squeak. It was very hard to make it squeak with out driving the car, and then it would not happen with any regularity. It was quite hilarious, one of us driving the car in a circle slowly and the other one running along beside with his ear to the rear wheel area. Long story short we had it up on the hoist ready to pull trailing arms and put bushings in when we noticed a small rock wedged in between trailing arm and body. Good luck with your search

DanWalkowski
356 Fan

#30 Post by DanWalkowski »

Harold, I had a mouse squeak whenever I would roll over speed bumps or a road with any kind of waviness in it. I recently did a full rubber spring plate replacement, along with a new set of shocks, slightly stiffer torsion bars and a slightly larger front anti sway bar. After all the new rubber bits went in, the squeak in the rear went completely away. Funny thing now, is I have a very minor squeak in the front suspension, so the next project is in my sights!!

Good luck finding yours!