Help with Wiring Harness Routing

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Peter Chifo Jr
356 Fan

Help with Wiring Harness Routing

#1 Post by Peter Chifo Jr »

I am post paint and pre-interior on my 65 SC coupe. I purchased and am attempting to install a new YNZ wiring harness but the photos that were taken during disassembly leave much to be desired. Can anyone assist me with proper routing and positioning of the various looms and battery cable. I do have the main harness already pulled thru the tunnel but have hit a bit of a dead-end :( . Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Help with Wiring Harness Routing

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Peter I can help some having done this with my C Coupe. If you use the search function and put wiring in search field and my name in Author field most links I have contributed to about my wiring pull will come up. Initial pull you did already so next is "How much wiring under dash/how much left under car. Tip from this forum answers that. Brake master cylinder wires in correct place to go through front firewall. Credit to Bill Webster for that one. Then start with this link. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32748&hilit=wiring+harness+routing Email me if stuck. I am sure others will chime in.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Peter Chifo Jr
356 Fan

#3 Post by Peter Chifo Jr »

Hello Doug and thank you for your reply. I certainly appreciate the help and I am sure the text and photos from your post will get me back on track. At present, I am still figuring out where the looms are positioned and affixed with the bendable metal tabs. As for termination points I have both the YNZ installation instructions as well as wiring diagrams. I have wired a few cars so I do have a bit of experience. Trouble is I left some of the task of disassembly and documentation up to another and they were not very thorough. At this point it some of these tasks have been somewhat similar to a TV game show. I am sure I will be in touch with some additional questions and thank you for your offer to assist.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

The link shows the basic initial routing. The branch that has all the instrument wiring sub bundles goes to the top rear of the under dash area and each sub bundle drops down to the back of each instrument. Hope this helps. One of the links you will find with search discusses the cover on the harness as it leaves the tunnel at the rear. This cover is not on Y&Z harness. I discuss making the cover which seals the exit point out of an inner tube. I take no credit for this method as I found it in an older link. Plan on reading a lot of old links. Someone else suggested large diameter shrink wrap which is probably a better idea but the Bike inner tube works just fine. You will need at least 3 hands when you wire the fusebox. I got lucky and a local 356 friend who had wired 356s before helped with mine.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Peter Chifo Jr
356 Fan

#5 Post by Peter Chifo Jr »

Thanks Doug, I plan to did into it a bit further tonight.