Wiring Diagram for Euro Hazard Switch for 356C?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Larry Brooks
356 Fan

Wiring Diagram for Euro Hazard Switch for 356C?

#1 Post by Larry Brooks »

My 356C was delivered new in Hanover. As such it has the four way hazard switch on the dash, next to the clock.
My painter disconnected it when he removed everything to paint the dash. I have figured out all of the connections except a red wire with a stripped end.

I suspect it should be connected to the lighter circuit since it will reach that connection and that is one of the few, high amp, circuits that is "hot" all of the time. Since the hazard lights should flash regardless of the key position that makes sense.

But I don't want to just connect the wire and hope for the best. The original harness is in excellent condition and I would like it to stay that way.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or a car with the same switch fitted so that you can confirm where that red wire goes?

The car is away getting a four wheel alignment so I can't take a good picture of the switch. But I have included a dash photo that shows the switch in the distance.
Attachments
dash2.jpg

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: Wiring Diagram for Euro Hazard Switch for 356C?

#2 Post by Greg Bryan »

Here's the 912 Emergency Flasher circuit.
5-2-2016 1-12-22 PM.jpg
I'm not sure if the late Euro delivered cars used the same set-up, but Porsche usually didn't reinvent the wheel. Actually, I was unaware of any 356s being delivered with factory 4-way flashers (not to say there wasn't any, I'm just unaware).
The brown wire from the switch goes to body ground.
Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#3 Post by Greg Bryan »

Here's a larger view of the 912 set-up
5-2-2016 1-50-22 PM.jpg
Greg Bryan

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by Larry Brooks »

Bryan, thanks for the 912 wiring diagram but that looks like the later factory version. In fact the wiring diagram that I bought from you made sorting out the rest of the wires my painter disconnected an easier job. I think Germany started requiring hazard flashers on all cars right around the time my 356C was delivered in August of 1964. All of the early ones I've seen appear to be dealer added or by the factory as an after thought so I think they might have sprung it on them abruptly.
I've had a couple of 1965 Euro delivery 912's that had a very similar switch to the one in the 356. As I was typing this I realized that I saved one of those 1965 912 switches so I took a couple pictures. As you can see they have a mass of connectors (10) completely encircling the switch - the one in the 356 has the same set-up. The knob on the pictured switch is similar, but on my C the entire knob is translucent red rather than just the end of it.
Attachments
IMG_2281.jpg
IMG_2279.jpg

Jerry Henning
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jerry Henning »

I cannot tell you exactly how the switch wires, but it should be similar to the VW version. I have considered using the VW version to add hazard lights to my upcoming restoration. See the diagram below, but remember, the switch has a different form factor than yours, but the main idea is to understand the terminal numbers on the switch and connect those terminals to your wiring harness appropriately.
If your red stripped wire (or striped) is on terminal 30 of the hazard switch, then it indeed connects to a constant source of battery power, and the cigar lighter is a good nearby source.
If you can supply a list of all the terminals on your switch, I can probably tell you where they need to connect. Also, if you would like to share the part number of the switch, I would like to search and find one for myself.
Attachments
image.png

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#6 Post by Greg Bryan »

Larry - I've never seen a switch like that - do you think the factory installed it or perhaps a dealer? I can't make out the switch manufacturer.
I'm sure Porsche along with other car makers were scrambling to come up with a system to satisfy the new regulation.
Also, I see I mislabeled the wires to the right and left turn signal circuits.
Black with White goes to the Left side
Black with Green goes to the Right side
Greg Bryan

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#7 Post by Larry Brooks »

Bryan, your question caused me to take a look at the 912 switch and I found the name - Pneutron. I Googled the name and the company still exists about 100 miles north of where my car was delivered, Hanover. I also found a few pictures and -- A WIRING DIAGRAM.

I took a closer look at the 912 switch and found that it has 8 connectors and the back part is actually a separate flasher relay that pops off.

So now I think I'm all set. Armed with the diagram I am pretty confident that the red wire goes to the lighter circuit.
Attachments
IMG_2290.jpg
IMG_2288.jpg
IMG_2282.jpg

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#8 Post by Larry Brooks »

Since I brought this subject up I am passing along some additional information for anyone who might be interested. A friend of mine in Germany just explained the Hazard Switch history in Germany. The first switches appeared as an accessory in 1963. Many car builders were installing them as standard equipment within a few years and dealers were installing them in customers cars regularly. On Jan 1 1973 Germany required them in all cars and made it retroactive to cars built prior to that time.
I know my car was still in Germany at the end of 1970. I first saw this car in St. Helens, Oregon in 1975 so it could have still been in Germany when the law would have required them. Or a safety conscious owner might have had it installed by the dealer when the car was new.

I have included a better picture of the switch in my car.
Attachments
IMG_2291.jpg

Matt Kreeve
356 Fan
Tag: truckin' on

#9 Post by Matt Kreeve »

thanks for all the info Larry .. very helpful as I also have the extra hole on the side of the clock on my 1964C (RHD coupe)

as shown below there is not an Hazard switch knob shown in the 1964 June edition of the drivers manual

I did find this pic which shows what could be the hazard with a little yellow dot in the middle
Attachments
356C lhd dashboard w hazard.jpg
356C lhd dashboard w hazard.jpg (36.12 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
356C 1964 June edition drivers manual dashboard.jpg
Currently working on two nut+bolt resto's in Cape Town
'56 A RHD 5606 Silver Met) over Green - delivered Nairobi (Cooper Motor Corp)
'64 C RHD 6406 (Irisgrun) w Fawn (rehbraun) - delivered Johannesburg (Lindsay Saker)

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#10 Post by Greg Bryan »

The knob with the yellow center in that position is typically the fog lights.
I have never seen a 4-way flasher in a 356 in the several hundred I've stuck my head into at car shows.
But just because I've never seen one doesn't mean that aftermarket companies didn't have kits to install back in the day.
Once a feature becomes standard on newer cars, many owners of older cars will be interested in updating theirs to the new standard whether it's a requirement or not.
Added by edit - now that I've written that, I see that Larry has addressed all this above ...
Greg Bryan

Matt Kreeve
356 Fan
Tag: truckin' on

#11 Post by Matt Kreeve »

thanks Greg .. fog lights makes sense and I will likely do exactly that so thanks for that nugget
Currently working on two nut+bolt resto's in Cape Town
'56 A RHD 5606 Silver Met) over Green - delivered Nairobi (Cooper Motor Corp)
'64 C RHD 6406 (Irisgrun) w Fawn (rehbraun) - delivered Johannesburg (Lindsay Saker)