STOP what you are doing. RIGHT NOW !!!!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Horton
356 Fan

Re: STOP what you are doing. RIGHT NOW !!!!

#16 Post by Mike Horton »

...in a pinch, even used 6V VW brushes will get you home... or any brand of spares in the glove box, then, get picky,

...if anyone knows where the Bosch brushes can be sourced, share?...
Mike

Steven Clarke
356 Fan

#17 Post by Steven Clarke »

Guys:
To answer Dave's question about the sealed bearings that Joe used to sell. I bought a pair from Joe Leoni back in 2008.
They were SKF 6202 2ZJEM.
image.jpg
Sorry about the photo quality, I took the picture with my iPad.

Just a few month ago the rear bearing went out on my generator, so I replaced them both. I bought two more bearings off evilbay to replenish my stock. Only $8.98 each with free shipping. A bargain compared to $15.00 each from Joe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-SKF-Bearing ... SwT6pVn8-A

KTF,
Steve
'65 C coupe

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#18 Post by Richard Sjolund »

I'm still waiting to see if I can get my "Core" generator refund. The new generator has a $250 charge that might be refunded when I send back my old generator. BUT - they make it clear that my old generator has to meet the approval of the company that rebuilds old generators. From their information I have to believe that a generator that sprayed solder and metal pieces from the comutator all over my engine bay will not earn me a refund.

I had yet another generator on a shelf in my garage, and I sent that one back as my "core."

So - the goal is to have a generator that dies - but even after death - is somehow perfect and rebuildable.... otherwise you pay the big bucks with no core refund.

Yet another reason to check your brushes ..... at least you can leave a pretty corpse ....

Richard Sjolund
Solon, (Iowa City), Iowa
1964 (September 1963 build) 356 C Coupe #215661 (Ruby Red, color:6402)
(On the 356 Registry cover- November, 2005)
Ford F150 4X4 (Winter Snow Plow)
2015 Audi A4 Quattro (Wife's car)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#19 Post by Doug McDonnell »

If rebuilt generators are like starters they will just clean the outside and sell it.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Ken Rogers
356 Fan

#20 Post by Ken Rogers »

Here is a great source for those bearings.
partsklassik,com Bearing part # 111.903.221A
I called them yesterday and talked to Sarah. She said that the bearings are SKF6202.2ZJ exactly the ones in the pictured earlier post. $6.36 a bearing.
ken rogers

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#21 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Richard Sjolund wrote:I'm still waiting to see if I can get my "Core" generator refund.

So - the goal is to have a generator that dies - but even after death - is somehow perfect and rebuildable.... otherwise you pay the big bucks with no core refund.

Richard Sjolund
Solon, (Iowa City), Iowa
1964 (September 1963 build) 356 C Coupe #215661 (Ruby Red, color:6402)
(On the 356 Registry cover- November, 2005)
Ford F150 4X4 (Winter Snow Plow)
2015 Audi A4 Quattro (Wife's car)

Joe Leoni rebuilt the generator from my 64C coupe last month.
It was probably original to the car, which I bought in 1976, and it had never had the generator worked on.

When the bearings failed, they also took out the end bells, and the armature was shot.
He had to replace the field coils as well. Essentially, the only salvageable part was the case.
So this would not have provided much to work with as a core.

Reminds me of the old joke of jacking up the gas cap and driving a new car under it.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#22 Post by Mike Horton »

Doug McDonnell wrote:If rebuilt generators are like starters they will just clean the outside and sell it.
Doug, other than the solenoid, the starters internally, usually are more "robust", due to the intermittent use, than the generator, which runs all the time, and under certain conditions, under strain...
Mike

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#23 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Back to the brushes. Would worn brushes cause a high pitched whine? I get a whine in cabin of my '60 Normal with increased rpm. I can let off the gas, disengage the clutch , and the whining stops until I juice the throttle (clutch disengaged) and it whines up and down with the throttle. I put a stethoscope on the generator brush cover plate and I can hear a whine, but only if I touch it lightly. If I press hard on the cover plate with the 'scope or press anyplace else on the generator or fan cover the whine is almost inaudible. Oh, and the pie plate is in place and there are no old shop towels in the fan screen. The top of the brush at 11:00 is just above the top of its carrier. Didn't check the one at 5:00. Got me stumped.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Paul Kust
356 Fan

#24 Post by Paul Kust »

Bearings or belt.
Paul Kust
'57 T-1 101611

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#25 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Paul: Thanks for that, but I read in a post regarding gen. bearings that when they are headed south, it was more of a "rumbling" sound. Never thought about the belt. Looks good and is tensioned correctly although, it's one of those with the cogs on the ID.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe