Chassis number stamped under passenger door hinge cover

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.

#1 Post by Guest »

@ Barry:
Additionally to those listed in the ConvD reg, I found a complete VIN on the passenger side door hinge where the hinge cover goes onto.
Normal ?
The numbers in the other places like engine lid, trunk + hinge, doors are there.

Martin

btw: I was looking for the article on the letters aside the partial VIN on the trunk lid !?! Don't seem to find it !

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

Martin Boecker wrote:@ Barry:
Additionally to those listed in the ConvD reg, I found a complete VIN on the passenger side door hinge where the hinge cover goes onto. Normal ?
The numbers in the other places like engine lid, trunk + hinge, doors are there.
Martin, can you please make clear which 356 model you have where a "complete VIN" (chassis number) is shown on the passenger side door hinge. Convertible D? Or a Speedster which is what Ronald Sieber posted about to start this topic? Or something else?

I have never heard of a complete chassis number (meaning 5 or 6 digits, depending on the model) being present in the area you describe, but I'm not entirely clear on what area you are referring to. The door hinge cover plate? The hinge itself?

Can you post a photo?

Martin Boecker wrote:I was looking for the article on the letters aside the partial VIN on the trunk lid !?! Don't seem to find it !
I believe the article you may be referring to is this one:
http://www.356registry.org/Tech/mystery ... kings.html

It is about mysterious letter and number stampings on the rain shield of Reutter built 58 A to early 62 B cars.

To some of the others who have posted replies in this topic: Ronald Sieber first posted asking about chassis number stamp locations on a Speedster top, not a Cabriolet as some have posted about. I believe Cabriolet tops they had their own serial number, independent of the chassis number. Speedster tops were stamped with the last 3 digits of the chassis number. Ronald's question is, where were Speedster tops stamped? In an attempt to answer that question, I posted information about where Convertible D tops were stamped, in case they were similar to the Speedster. But they may be different. So far I have not seen any Speedster owners reply with information about where their tops are stamped. But I'm sure someone will.

Thanks,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Michael Kresse
356 Fan

#3 Post by Michael Kresse »

Dear List,

I am sorry to digress further from the topic of this thread, but Martin is right.
There is in fact a "hidden" complete VIN number stamped underneath the door hinge cover
plate on the passenger side of the vehicle. I am not sure if that is true for all cars, models and years, but it seems to appear at least on the later cars.

However, I will check if these numbers appear on the top bows of my car...

Greetings,

Michael
Michael Kresse
Registry #18729

'63 Coupe
'57 Speedster

#4 Post by Guest »

Here's a photo of the "hidden" VIN.

The VIN is revealed by unscrewing the door hinge covers. It is stamped on the door hinge, appearing to be stamped in the same way as those partial VINs found on the bumpers+ mountings, inside of the doors, trunk lid, trunk hinge, trunk lock, engine lid + rain shield (including a "B" as rain shield marking!).
I only found this on the passenger side.
Late B T5 Reuter, btw.

Martin

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#5 Post by Barry Brisco »

Martin Boecker wrote:The VIN is revealed by unscrewing the door hinge covers. It is stamped on the door hinge, appearing to be stamped in the same way as those partial VINs found on the bumpers+ mountings, inside of the doors, trunk lid, trunk hinge, trunk lock, engine lid + rain shield (including a "B" as rain shield marking!).
Late B T5 Reuter, btw
Martin, thanks for posting that photo. I checked my 59 A coupe and it does not have a chassis number stamped in that location. Yours is the first 356 I've heard of with a chassis number under the passenger door hinge cover. I would certainly be interested in hearing from anyone else whose 356 has a chassis number stamped in the location Martin describes.
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#6 Post by Barry Brisco »

Martin, the owner of a 62 notchback emailed me to say that his car also had the chassis number stamped in the area you describe.

What year is your car? I assume it is also a 62, as you say it isa "late B T5"?

If so, we now have two 1962 cars that have their chassis number stamped in that area. Any more out there? Until now I had no idea any 356 had a number stamped there.

Thanks,
Barry
Martin Boecker wrote: The VIN is revealed by unscrewing the door hinge covers. It is stamped on the door hinge, appearing to be stamped in the same way as those partial VINs found on the bumpers+ mountings, inside of the doors, trunk lid, trunk hinge, trunk lock, engine lid + rain shield (including a "B" as rain shield marking!).
Late B T5 Reuter, btw.

Martin

John Willhoit
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Willhoit »

Well, you can add my 1961 Drauz Roadster to that list. The full chassis number is stamped vertically on the body under the PS hinge plate.
John Willhoit
http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com
(562) 439-3333 shop
(714) 356-1735 cell

Michael Kresse
356 Fan

Hidden VIN Number

#8 Post by Michael Kresse »

Dear all,

this "hidden" VIN number location is also mentioned in a Registry Article by Bill Leavitt
(Vol. 25-1). See also the Technical and Restoration Guide Vol. 2, p. 12.

It seems that this VIN only appears on B and C cars. It does not appear on my A car, but I will check my B Coupe. However, it is not mentioned on the VIN Location Page in the B Driver's Manual.

Regards,

Michael
Michael Kresse
Registry #18729

'63 Coupe
'57 Speedster

Bil Brown
356 Fan

VIN stampings

#9 Post by Bil Brown »

My old 62 Carrera GT Coupe #120271 had the full VIN stamped behind the passenger side hinge cover.........I think it was a B/C thing.
Bill Brown

John Lewenauer
356 Fan

#10 Post by John Lewenauer »

My C has it as does my friend's two Cs.
1964 356 C Coupe, Togo/Fawn, Chassis 126634
Enjoy some pictures of my Togo 356 at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603043153749/show/

Christian Guthrie
356 Fan
Tag: How many is enough?

#11 Post by Christian Guthrie »

"What year is your car? I assume it is also a 62, as you say it isa "late B T5"?"

This would make the car a 1961. 1962 was the first year for the T-6 B. Thanks for keeping a running toll, very interesting finding indeed!

Joost van der Velden
356 Fan

#12 Post by Joost van der Velden »

I have the 6 digit VIN number on the passenger side.

Also my hinge support cover plate is stamped with the last 3 digits of my VIN number (see picture)............
Porsche 356 BT6 S90 1962
VW Beetle 1302S 1971
Porsche 911 SC 1980

Jon Pegg
356 Fan

chassis number stamped under passenger door hinge cover

#13 Post by Jon Pegg »

My (original owner) '61 D'Ieteren Roadster #89226 also has the number stamped there as described by John Wilhoit.

Aloha and KTF,
Jon Pegg
Honolulu

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Stefan De Vleeschauwer
356 Fan

#14 Post by Stefan De Vleeschauwer »

mine has also the stamp at the passagens side

just checked
regards
Stefan
356 B T6 super 75 coupe '63
#body : 124675 - engine : 706820 (matching)

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jan Kolm »

The "hidden" number was added sometime during the 1961 (T5) model year. Long-deceased coupe 116884 had one stamped there.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe