Pre-A Dash Lights and Lights and Button...I think

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Allen Henderson
356 Fan

Pre-A Dash Lights and Lights and Button...I think

#1 Post by Allen Henderson »

Please push my button folks,

I think these are Pre-A. Can anyone help me with what they are and an appo. value? Thanks.

-Allen-
Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG
Allen

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Pre-A Dash Lights and Lights and Button...I think

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Starter button and warning lights. Sorry I can't help with valuation but I have seen the starter buttons on eBay and there are reproductions of the warning lights.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Craig Richter »

Those all look like repops, but check carefully because real ones are worth a lot: repops not so much.

Allen Henderson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Allen Henderson »

Craig Richter wrote:Those all look like repops, but check carefully because real ones are worth a lot: repops not so much.
Why do you say that? I'd say HIGHLY unlikely these are repops (as they say) and not just because they are now mine. :P thanks.

-Allen-
Allen

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#5 Post by James Davies »

The warning lights look original. On the originals, only two of them had the extra screw terminal. The starter button looks too shiny on the bezel. These bezels were Zamak and bubbled up the chrome surface something fierce. A backside photo of the button will tell.

I saw an original start button sell recently for just over $400, and it needed restoration. I nicer one just sold for $395 last week on ebay. The warning lights are reproduced perfectly and available from NLA or Stoddard for years, so original or not, there's not a big demand for those to drive up price. For some reason, nobody has managed to reproduce the start buttons properly, so originals fetch a premium.

Allen Henderson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Allen Henderson »

James Davies wrote:The warning lights look original. On the originals, only two of them had the extra screw terminal. The starter button looks too shiny on the bezel. These bezels were Zamak and bubbled up the chrome surface something fierce. A backside photo of the button will tell.

I saw an original start button sell recently for just over $400, and it needed restoration. I nicer one just sold for $395 last week on ebay. The warning lights are reproduced perfectly and available from NLA or Stoddard for years, so original or not, there's not a big demand for those to drive up price. For some reason, nobody has managed to reproduce the start buttons properly, so originals fetch a premium.
Here is another view of the button. Still think a repro. Again, I'm pretty sure that it is authentic. I purchased a large lot of OLD parts from a really nice guy in the U.K...This was not meant to be a challenge or a trick. Still wondering about values too. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0002.JPG
Allen

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#7 Post by Craig Richter »

Allen,
All your parts look so darn clean! Not used to seeing old stuff look so nice. As Jim mentions, a real starter button that nice (and works) is a real prize.

Lewis Hauser
356 Fan

#8 Post by Lewis Hauser »

All are definitely authentic. Start at $500.00 for the button. $125.00 apiece for the lights if you can get them apart.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#9 Post by James Davies »

Hi Allen, yeah, that looks like it could be original. Here's some photos of the original one off my '53 coupe.

Kirsten made these for Porsche, and honestly, they're pretty chintzy. The button is floppy, suspended by a spring, the bezel is garbage, and the whole thing is riveted together. That said, yours looks very nice! I suspect it has been restored given how polished the bezel looks. It has definitely had the screws on the back replaced. You'll be able to tell if it has had the rivets holding it together replaced too.

The early ones for split-window cars through early '52 had a black button. Ivory button from ~April '52 through ~April '54, then a choice between beige or grey buttons until the end of '55. Hope this helps!
Attachments
IMG_7229.jpg
IMG_6959.jpg
IMG_6958.jpg

Allen Henderson
356 Fan

#10 Post by Allen Henderson »

Thank you gentlemen for the very useful information. I really appreciate it !
Allen

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ned Gorski »

Allen
do you have a direct picture of the rear of the switch. That should put to rest any questions.
I am not 100 percent sure, but i do believe there is also a difference with the threads for the retaining nut .. The re-pros are coarse and the originals are fine or possibly it may have been a change between the early and later buttons. Most of the ones i have seen that appear to be super nice, all seam to have the course threads . possible period replacement parts?
just some food for thought

Regards Ned

Allen Henderson
356 Fan

#12 Post by Allen Henderson »

Ned Gorski wrote:Allen
do you have a direct picture of the rear of the switch. That should put to rest any questions.
I am not 100 percent sure, but i do believe there is also a difference with the threads for the retaining nut .. The re-pros are coarse and the originals are fine or possibly it may have been a change between the early and later buttons. Most of the ones i have seen that appear to be super nice, all seam to have the course threads . possible period replacement parts?
just some food for thought

Regards Ned
This should push the button. Thanks !
Attachments
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (107.6 KiB) Viewed 4911 times
Allen

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#13 Post by Spencer Harris »

Black starter button as James describes from a '51 coupe.
Also thread shots from the '51 button and my '53 cab button showing the fine threads that Ned discusses.
40-51-1.jpg
40-51-2.jpg
40-51-3.jpg
40-53-3.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.