Changing Door Lock Barrels

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Pettengell
356 Fan

Changing Door Lock Barrels

#1 Post by David Pettengell »

So I bought the matching ignition and door lock set from Stoddards and CJ fitted my ignition at the weekend. Just trying to figure out how you change the door lock barrels as I can't find this in any of the manuals. It is a 1960 356b

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Changing Door Lock Barrels

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

If you are talking about the tumblers...

Remove the E clip from the back of the receiver (plunger) and the fiber washer. The receiver can now be removed from the handle. Looking at the tumbler, you will see a small screw. Here's the tricky part: removing it. It is very small and likely seized. Use some penetrating oil like Kroil and soak it. See if it loosens up. I wouldn't use heat as too much can likely damage the fine springs for the pins. If you break the screw head, it then needs to be drilled out and the hole retapped. Once the screw is out, the tumbler can be removed from the receiver. There is also a small sliding plate on the inside of the receiver. This moves with the tumbler to lock/unlock the door handle. Look at the slots in the receiver and you will see it. There should also be a small nylon seal where the tumbler meets the end of the receiver. When reassembling, replace this and the inner seal of the door handle where the receiver slides in.

Hopefully someone can take and post pics of the process.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#3 Post by Rick Albro »

Dave note when you take this apart the correct orientation. it is possible to put these together in the wrong orientation and then it is a challenge to take apart. I bought a handle from eBay that the seller could not take apart after previously working on it. Learning opportunities are a good thing unless you really need the part. Good luck.

P.S. it is also possible to drill a larger hole and insert a brass threaded bolt with some solder the drill to correct size and tap.... if you should break off the set screw.

P.S.S. Mike has a good description of the disassembly process I have many other pictures if needed.
Attachments
PICT1144.JPG
orientation.jpg

David Pettengell
356 Fan

#4 Post by David Pettengell »

Perfect, thanks