Body shop recomendation SF Bay Area CA.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Spencer Harris
356 Fan

Re: Body shop recomendation SF Bay Area CA.

#16 Post by Spencer Harris »

steve raucher wrote:which rear wheel arches from what A cars will work on my T2 '58 Speedster?
http://www.356panels.com/rear_fenders.html

Careful shrinking the rolled flares on your fenders. This was typically done back in the day so that wider tires could be installed. With stock fenders you may have to switch to skinnier tires. Trevor has patterns for all 356 panels and he's been making them for thirty years or so. Worth asking if he will make just the arch portion you're thinking of replacing. May be break even to haul the car to Steve Hogue as a couple of folks suggested. He can make just the arches; cut out the old and weld on the new and it will be perfect; but it will be noticeably more than $100 per fender :shock:
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#17 Post by Steve Raucher »

Spencer,
Everything you mentioned I am aware of. My question has yet to be answered. Perhaps if I post it in the authenticity forum that may help.
I spoke to Trevor months ago and he would not build these one off pieces not cost effective/demand etc. Maybe I'l call Restoration Design to discuss.
Tried calling Steve H., his shop number did not go through. Left emails for him and Rod E., neither responded. Guess these big dog's don't deal with small players like me.
KTF,
Steve

Max Handley
356 Fan

#18 Post by Max Handley »

Try Steve Hogue again. He’s was in the middle of a shop move. One of the nicest guys in the industry.If I owned your speedster Steve Hogue would be my choice here on the west coast.

Max Handley
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#19 Post by Edwin Ek »

max handley wrote:Try Steve Hogue again. He’s was in the middle of a shop move. One of the nicest guys in the industry.If I owned your speedster Steve Hogue would be my choice here on the west coast.

Max Handley
+1

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#20 Post by Steve Raucher »

So I have sourced a pair left and right wheel arches from a 1962 B Coupe. Seller wants $1K for the pair. Held up the right side to a Speedster and the wheel arch shape seemed accurate. Can anyone confirm that this year/other years rear wheel arches will be correct for my 356a T2 '58 Speedster.
If I do not use them will I be able to resell them easily or not?
Also the surface rust on the backside will need to be bead blasted before use if they end up being used.
I'm hoping the original stretched metal can be brought back into shape.
Thank you,
Steve
Attachments
IMG_0464.jpg
IMG_0463.jpg

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#21 Post by Steve Raucher »

Finally spoke to Steve Hogue. He can make me a pair of wheel arch panels for cheap so I likely will have them as backup.
Peace out!
Steve

Cory Evens
356 Fan

#22 Post by Cory Evens »

To one of your questions basing on experience with early to late 50's VW beetles, barndoors etc.. 16 gauge is what VW used. I'd assume without having measured that Porsche would be pretty similar for that era. Most likely getting their metal from the same sources. I can measure a piece from my A coupe in the morning but I'm sure the sources you've found will work out fine.