356 "c" fuel line

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
rich moynihan
356 Fan

356 "c" fuel line

#1 Post by rich moynihan »

i bought a 64 c model last year. it has been parked for 7 years with gas still in it. i pulled the tank and had it cleaned, it's good now but was real bad. but, the main fuel line from the tank to the pump is clogged. does anyone know the best way to clean it out or if not possible, how difficult it is to replace the line?
thanks,
rich moynihan

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Clogged fuel line?

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

After checking the petcock's strainer and even itself (the vertical strainer inside the tank--and the inlet tubes can be loaded w/silt) and the strainer in the fuel pump, remove the hoses on both ends of the steel line thru the tunnel, and add some alcohol to the front end and use an air hose to blow thru the line (have a catch can at the end); then replace the hoses if needed--on German braided hoses, clamps are NOT necessary--especially on suction lines.
Have you checked out the carbs, too?

Dick

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

As you have pulled the tank then all you have left is a fairly straight run of approximately 5/16" steel fuel line. Make sure that the end closest to the fuel tank is not rusted and that there is nothing plugging the rearmost piece of the fuel line where it exits the chassis. Now all you need is a long piece of stiff wire and some solvent. (paint thinner/mineral spirits is good as it is not very flammable) Push the wire through, then run the mineral spirits through and you should be OK. Most of the time the tubes inside the tunnel do not rust very much, just where they are exposed to the elements usually.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715