Brake Pedal

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

Re: Brake Pedal

#16 Post by JERRY LANDES »

Dick, Could you tell us more about the brake actuation switch that you installed? Also after looking at several pedals sets that I have I noticed one pedal was longer and had one grove. Is this one much later?

Thanks Jerry

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#17 Post by Dick Weiss »

Jerry,

Sorry that I couldn't send a photo of the mechanically activating brake switch--having trouble w/my computor to email 'em.
I made a bracket for a electrical switch (from an electrical/machine tool shop--can't find the description) and clamped it to the pedal's arm, and added a tab to the u-shaped metal tab (on the floor to retain the wood board) and aligned it to activate it's button--pedal released=button compressed, and pedal pushed=button released which lights the brakelights. The electric connection was jumpered to the wires to the M/cylinder pressure switch (not used) and fed back thru the front bulkhead. Works A-OK!
I didn't have a switch unit from a 911/912, but I probably modify it for a 356.

Dick

B Friedhaber
356 Fan

#18 Post by B Friedhaber »

Be careful of the very small, very expensive 911 brake light switch. It is made for 12 volts and low amps. I ran exrtra brake lights and it did not last long. I replaced it with a universal brake light swith for a motorcycle. It was exactly like the one on a Harley I had in the sixties. Sorry no photos. It is black plasticlike material, very small will lay in the main frame of the pedal cluster. It cam with a spring to pull the switch on and various brackets to clamp on tubes. One worked on the shaft going into the master cyl. I also used a relay kit for a starter motor. Works great. I don't like the stock brake switches. Visit your local Harley dealer. I found them helpful.
Bruce Friedhaber

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dick Weiss »

OK Bruce; I may stand corrected, but I'd assume the switch wouldn't be affected by the 6-or-12 voltage(?).

Dick

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#20 Post by Ron LaDow »

Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jerry Henning
356 Fan

#21 Post by Jerry Henning »

Dick Weiss wrote:OK Bruce; I may stand corrected, but I'd assume the switch wouldn't be affected by the 6-or-12 voltage(?).

Dick
Dick, its not so much the voltage (6v or 12v), but the resultant current in each system. If you use the same 21 watt incancescent bulbs in a 6 volt system, and also in a 12 volt system (apples to apples), the 6 volt circuit will have twice the current (amps) as in an equivalent 12 volt circuit. If you are running two brake light bulbs and perhaps a third brake light, the current in through the brake light switch is around 10 amps at 6 volts, or 5 amps for the 12 volt system. So a brakelight switch designed for 12 volts, might not be designed to carry twice the current if used in a 6 volt system.

Jerry

B Friedhaber
356 Fan

#22 Post by B Friedhaber »

Ron, Great choice at Amazon. The switch lower in the ad looks much like the one I used. The one with the two springs. Great prices also. The last time I saw a 911 switch price it was north of $50.00. Jerry explained the amps vs volts very well. That's why our wires are so much larger than a 12 volt car.
Bruce Friedhaber

Ben Wainscott
356 Fan

#23 Post by Ben Wainscott »

I installed one of the early 911 brake switched a few years back on my 65 SC. Picked it up at the Lit swap meet for $5, but Pelican Parts now has new ones again for $40 (911.613.411.01). The nice think about a mechanical switch is that as soon as you move the brake pedals a 1/4 inch your lights come on vs. having to develop pressure. I run LED tail lights with a 6V system, so never gave the current requirements much thought.

There are numerous pics on this site of installations. Here's mine.
Attachments
P1010971.JPG
P1010967.JPG
Ben Wainscott
65 SC S/R coupe
89 911 Carrera
63 Vespa 150
80 Vespa P200e