Let there be light (Review of Fellman SMD/LED lamps)

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

Re: Let there be light (Review of Fellman SMD/LED lamps)

#16 Post by Harold Singh »

George, I'm referring to rennlist and the 993 Facebook group. The 993 group is very active on Facebook.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#17 Post by Edwin Ek »

What do they cost and where are they made?

David Green
356 Fan

#18 Post by David Green »

Installed mine yesterday. 15 minutes for both sides, plug and play, brilliant in design, benefits and light!
$279/pair at Classicowheels.com
David

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan
Tag: Drive em

#19 Post by Mark Todorovich »

I see the advantage of switching out the headlights and taillights. Is there any reason the dash lights need to be replaced at the same time, I certainly can see mine well enough, and I am never anxious to spend that much time squeezing under the steering wheel and nicking my hands. My cab? is a 12 volt , maybe that's why I don't see the need.
mark
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
56 Speedster project now underway
63 Cab?

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#20 Post by Harold Singh »

Mark I think that might be down to the individual somewhat. I did not opt for the dash lights and I also happen to turn down the dash lights on my Ridgeline truck for daily driving at night. I just prefer less light in my face impacting my viewing outside. Some folks don't mind the modern light output in the dash. Maybe it just depends on if you have trouble seeing the dash at night I guess.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#21 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Question:-
Wonder if Jeffrey's SMD/LED plug-in headlight units have the same switchable hi/lo beam capability and light patterns as original 356 headlights?
Perhaps those that have installed them can respond and comment.

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#22 Post by Harold Singh »

Yes high and low work fine
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#23 Post by Mike Ruddy »

If anybody is in touch with Jeffery could you give him a poke, I've emailed him to check compatibility and then I called him a few times on the electric telephone but all to no avail.

I can order these light offof of Amazon but I'd prefer to know if they'll fit my headlight bowls before I do. For interest sake this is is the back of my headlight. Anybody hazard a guess as to whether I can fit Jeffery's fine LED units that everybody's talking about. I've read the post about Euro style reflectors viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39010&p=239883#p239883 but am non the wiser.

Situations like this always make me smile.... I dream about a time when people would call me up in order to give me money. I just know I'd answer the phone quick sharpish. :D

Jeffrey Fellman
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jeffrey Fellman »

Mike, I sent you an answer last wee and also the link showing how you can fit them. I was in the middle of the ocean when you called and emailed. Did you receive? Jeffrey

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#25 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Mike,
Please do yourself a favor and scrupulously clean all of those wires at each headlight socket. Even a small bit of corrosion diminishes the efficiency of the 356 circuits.

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#26 Post by Mike Ruddy »

Thank you Jeffery, I'm afraid your signal didn't reach land. Please resend when possible.

Thank you Geoff, will definitely do.... it's long overdue.

Jeffrey Fellman
356 Fan

#27 Post by Jeffrey Fellman »

Here is the link to the explanation I posted in 356Talk about using the SMD bulbs in European headlights. The list monitors moved it to Vendor Announcements so that listers would be sure to not see it and I could spend even more of my limited time answering the same question over and over. Not your fault, it is a natural question.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=40775

David Pettengell
356 Fan

#28 Post by David Pettengell »

Just so I am clear, the first comparison photo's were with Jeffrey's SMD headlights (which I just ordered) and CU Layer rear lights?

What about the dash lights? Someone mentioned the lights to not draw enough current to make the dash indicators work? Where can you buy the LED dash light replacements in 6v?

David Pettengell
356 Fan

#29 Post by David Pettengell »

Oh and one more question, if you used these headlights is it still worth doing the famous headlight relay upgrade?

Jeffrey Fellman
356 Fan

#30 Post by Jeffrey Fellman »

I offer SMD dash lights which work fine. What people are talking about is that the flasher relay i supply for free with the purchase of a set of Brake/Turn signal/Parking lights in SMD grounds through the filament of the indicator bulb in the dash. Since these draw almost no current they do not draw enough to make the indicator light glow. The turn signal flasher works fine but the indicator light in the dash will no longer be visible. This has no effect on using our SMD dash lights in the regular application. Bosch does make a flasher that retains the dash indicator function which is available from most of the regular vendors. I think they are about $60-$70.