Let there be light (Review of Fellman SMD/LED lamps)

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

Let there be light (Review of Fellman SMD/LED lamps)

#1 Post by Harold Singh »

I must say, I see why no one really wrote anything. It just does exactly what Jeffrey said.
It's so easy to install that if you can install a headlamp sealed beam or a rear tail lamp bulb, it's a 5 minute job. I took 40 minutes with me cleaning things and trying to document what I was doing.

The first thing to keep in mind is LED bulbs are sensitive to connections so I made sure all my connections were good before I received my LED headlamps and rear brake/turn signal bulbs.
Also when I installed them I tucked the wires down away from the heat sink.

Next simply pop out the headlamp by removing the one screw that holds the assembly in and lay them out to remove the retaining parts.

I have one photo showing where to press that gives you lots of leverage on the lever side of the retainers. Then swap out! I noticed there IS a DOT designation on the lens for those that drive every day or need to pass a local inspection.

Here is the comparison picture. This is the part I think we have really been missing!! :shock:
I took my photo from an angle and focused on the LED lamp so the both lamps weren't just whiting out the photo.

And then with both! Again, from this angle you can really see the dramatic difference! This is whiter and brighter than the halogens in my late model Ridgeline and maybe as bright as the HID lamps in my 993.

The rear lamps bulbs are very bright. Although, most suppliers use a red illuminating bulb behind red lenses. These are white but I think that enhances the brightness. Keep in mind the original bulbs are white. Easy install as well.

The only caveat here is the load is not significant enough to light the dash indicator for the signals even with the new relay installed it will not show the signal in the dash. Jeffrey said there is a way to wire the ground to fix this but he has not written the procedure yet.
Last edited by Harold Singh on Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

Re: Let there be light!(or my review of Fellman LED/SMD lamp

#2 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Excellent write up!! Great seeing the side by side comparison!! Many thanks for posting
Always searching for parts for my Oct 54 Pre A coupe including these:
2 piece engine case to #336XX
Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Bosch SH/ZS4/1 Ignition switch
Vigot jack (late 54)

John Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Brooks »

Great comparison, what is the bulb base type on the LED reflector? http://users.chariot.net.au/~acpearson/page2.html
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#4 Post by Harold Singh »

John Brooks wrote:Great comparison, what is the bulb base type on the LED reflector? http://users.chariot.net.au/~acpearson/page2.html
John I did not deconstruct these but, I understood these were custom built units, including the bulbs in 6volt with the SMD LED emitters.
Alex Parmenter wrote:Excellent write up!! Great seeing the side by side comparison!! Many thanks for posting
Thanks Alex. It deserved a better comparison and review! You could not tell these from stock appearance with the lamps turned off at a glance. Someone would really need to look closely and have seen both to possibly tell these lamps from stock behind the glass lens.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

John Brooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Brooks »

Harold
Sorry
I thought these LEDs were bulb inserts (H series), not sealed beam type. Actually it makes better sense with the reflector. I was hoping for the older European headlight bases and driving light replacements also.

Thanks, great comparison.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

The conversion unit is clearly marked H4. In Jeffery's photo of the LED unit it is hard to confirm that the base is H4 but I assume it is the case.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Brooks »

Brad

Found an old link, you can adapt them for old EU bulbs. You can see the future. I have users a similar Single CREE LED's in the lab at 3v & 0.75a,for testing. Jeffery is on the right tract, has a good product.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39010&p=239883#p239883
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Brad Ripley »

From my experience there is always a confusion about headlight bulb design. See illustration below.
The so-called H-4 (with the three tabs radiating out) is technically known as P43t. The bulb with the stepped base is known as P45t.

As you can see, the H-4 or P43t bulb has a tube on top. The P45t bulb has a stepped base; it's usually an incandescent type with round globe but can be supplied with the H-4 type tube in soldered into the base.

The H-4 quartz design came out in the late 60's. The P45t goes back into the 50's. (and before that, the BA20d, but that's another story)

In the link John gave, it appears Jeffery is using the P45t base into an old conversion unit. All modern-day conversion units take a H-4- P43t base. Jeffery's current ads show conversion units and H-4 bulb bases.

Note, Jeffery is selling a complete "sealed beam" type bucket with a conversion unit installed plus the LED bulb in the back, times two for $279/pair
Attachments
Bulb 43t and 45t details.jpg

John Brooks
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Brooks »

Brad
Thanks, I wish I had your technical research data base, reference library, and memory.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab

Bob Slayden
356 Fan

Re: Let there be light (Review of Fellman SMD/LED lamps)

#10 Post by Bob Slayden »

I installed Jeffrey's LED lights in my roadster this past weekend. Wow, what a difference. I will be giving longer life to my generator too. Thanks to Jeffrey.

The pictures tell the tale.
Bob Slayden
Attachments
LED low beam 6v.jpg
LED high beam 6v.jpg
LED 6v low beam.jpg
LED 6v high beam.jpg
L new LED- R H4 6v.jpg

John Brooks
356 Fan

#11 Post by John Brooks »

Dave

Is your roadster Slate gray? I think I have a twin right down to the driving lights.
Attachments
image.jpg
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#12 Post by Steve Raucher »

Thinking of changing over to these headlights,gauge bulbs and tail lights.
Can anyone comment if they have had problems with their 6 volt systems like fuses blown etc?
Happy Turkey daze!
Steve

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#13 Post by David Jones »

Steve you are not going to blow any fuses if you just change bulbs. These things only take about 20% of the current used by standard tungsten bulbs.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#14 Post by Harold Singh »

No problems at all Steve and boy are they bright! As mentioned in my write up, I would check your connections since LED is sensitive to poor connections. If everything is in good shape you're good. You are going to love these for driving and I know that no one notices when they are off. Best of both worlds. I don't get a penny for advertising but, just wanted to share that they work.

On my 993 forum, another guy (Tore Bergvill) makes HID and LED upgrades and I was equally impressed with these as I was with the HID lamps.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

George Barnes
356 Fan

#15 Post by George Barnes »

Harold

Would you please post a link to the 993 forum

Thanks

George Barnes
George D. Barnes
'64 356SC