Let there be light (Review of Fellman SMD/LED lamps)

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

Re: Let there be light (Review of Fellman SMD/LED lamps)

#91 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Jeffrey:
Thank you for your great response. I'm one who bought your headlights. I like the brightness (interesting they seem to read the same Lumens but they look brighter) but in my 65 C they did not point level. I adjusted them full down and it's better but I still fear I'm blinding oncoming traffic. If there is a particular way the bulb should be put in I would love to know it.

I have also wondered if projector lenses would increase the length of the projection.

Thanks for your thoughts.

ChuckJ
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Jeffrey Fellman
356 Fan

#92 Post by Jeffrey Fellman »

They just need to be set level and you will not bother oncoming traffic. They do throw a very different pattern than incandescent bulbs. Often our very old adjusters are in bad shape and may need service. I use thge special lenses we provide because as many buyers can attest they have a very correct vintage look and it is virtually impossible to notice their use even at show. I personally decry the use of modern looking headlights in our cars, Jeffrey

Curt Crowell
356 Fan

#93 Post by Curt Crowell »

Supplier of automotive LED lamps including 12 V headlamps: Super Bright LEDS. Curt Crowell

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#94 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

6V system with adapters for Euro style

Also very happy with my 6V LED conversion. I had heard that there were lots of problems with the 6V LEDs. The BT6 I have came with original headlights that were not sealed beam, but have separate incandescent headlight bulbs and also a small bulb for the parking/driving lights also directed through the headlamp reflective surface. There is only one lens for the light to penetrate, not two. So when I was offered a set of dimmable 6V LEDs I was interested. I have to say I am very pleased with the result. Cheap and the generator is very cheerful. Far better than the low candle power of the originals. The existing retainer mounting and its spring are used to hold the new 'bulb' in place and the connections were not difficult.

I had to buy two small adapters for a few dollars to mount to the existing P45T mounting socket on the reflector (below) and then the wiring was straight forward.

Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB