My 356C needs a storage garage in Scottsdale/Phoenix

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

My 356C needs a storage garage in Scottsdale/Phoenix

#1 Post by Richard Sjolund »

My 356C - Ruby - normally spends winter in a storage garage in Iowa. My wife and I - on the other hand - rent a house in Scottsdale, Arizona for the winter months of January, February, and half of March

I would like to find a garage to store Ruby from the middle of November to the middle of January in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area. I'd plan to drive Ruby down to Arizona before the midwest snow flies -- and then my wife and I will drive down with our golden retriever in her 2015 Audi A4. I'll get to drive Ruby during the winter months ..... Then, after driving my wife and our dog back to Iowa in March, I'll fly back down to Phoenix and drive Ruby back home.

Can anyone help me find a garage (secure) to store my 356C in the Phoenix area from November 15 to early January?????

Please send me a private message and your phone number.

Dick

Dick Sjolund
Solon, (Iowa City), Iowa
1963 (September) 356 C Coupe #215661 (Ruby Red, color:6402)
(On the 356 Registry cover- November, 2005)
Dodge Ram 4X4 1500 Quad Cab (Winter Snow Plow)
2015 Audi A4 Quattro (Wife's car)
Attachments
Ruby in Yosemite
Ruby in Yosemite

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

Re: My 356C needs a storage garage in Scottsdale/Phoenix

#2 Post by Richard Sjolund »

[quote="Richard Sjolund"]My 356C - Ruby - normally spends winter in a storage garage in Iowa. My wife and I - on the other hand - rent a house in Scottsdale, Arizona for the winter months of January, February, and half of March.

I would like to find a garage to store Ruby from the middle of November to the middle of January in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area. I'd plan to drive Ruby down to Arizona before the midwest snow flies -- and then my wife and I will drive down with our golden retriever in her 2015 Audi A4. I'll get to drive Ruby during the winter months ..... Then, after driving my wife and our dog back to Iowa in March, I'll fly back down to Phoenix and drive Ruby back home.

I should have been clearer --- I'm looking to rent .... not looking for charity. A Google search shows many choices --- I can probably be picky.

I'll see you in Scottsdale ....

Dick

Richard Strahota
356 Fan

#3 Post by Richard Strahota »

Richard Sjolund wrote:My 356C - Ruby - normally spends winter in a storage garage in Iowa. My wife and I - on the other hand - rent a house in Scottsdale, Arizona for the winter months of January, February, and half of March

Can anyone help me find a garage (secure) to store my 356C in the Phoenix area from November 15 to early January?????

Please send me a private message and your phone number.

Dick

Dick Sjolund
Solon, (Iowa City), Iowa
1963 (September) 356 C Coupe #215661 (Ruby Red, color:6402)
(On the 356 Registry cover- November, 2005)
Dodge Ram 4X4 1500 Quad Cab (Winter Snow Plow)
2015 Audi A4 Quattro (Wife's car)
Dick
I just left a newer P-car with these people, who are more well-known in the early 911 world.
250/month.
If no locals chime in to help with better ideas, Perhaps you might contact them. Speak to Kimberly.
Good move getting out of Iowa City for those months! See you in Scottsdale.
ds

http://www.beckseuropean.com/
Dick Strahota

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#4 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Ok Richard, I've seen Ruby and her storage shed down the road from your home. Really, when does Ruby get to go out and play? If you're going to take Ruby to the the sun belt, the least you could do is driver Ruby every other day. What is the point of keeping Ruby if you're not going to show Ruby off or enjoy its company.

Nice photo by the way, knowing your way around a camera and your image reproductions art form, I have no doubt that the image is not photo-shopped, but you could have if ya wanted to, even down to the reflections of the pavement in Ruby's hub caps. Looks like all the gear ya bought with ya the last time Ruby visited the western pond. That's been a bunch of years now, about time you took Ruby out for some more memories, don't ya think.

Speaking for Ruby, it really needs to get out more often. Richard, didn't you once say tires are meant to be worn off, not aged off.

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#5 Post by Richard Sjolund »

glen hamner wrote:Ok Richard, I've seen Ruby and her storage shed down the road from your home. Really, when does Ruby get to go out and play? If you're going to take Ruby to the the sun belt, the least you could do is driver Ruby every other day. What is the point of keeping Ruby if you're not going to show Ruby off or enjoy its company.

Nice photo by the way, knowing your way around a camera and your image reproductions art form, I have no doubt that the image is not photo-shopped, but you could have if ya wanted to, even down to the reflections of the pavement in Ruby's hub caps. Looks like all the gear ya bought with ya the last time Ruby visited the western pond. That's been a bunch of years now, about time you took Ruby out for some more memories, don't ya think.

Speaking for Ruby, it really needs to get out more often. Richard, didn't you once say tires are meant to be worn off, not aged off.

Glen
No -- Ruby will be in storage in Phoenix just until I can get down there with my wife and our dog .... I need to drive down before the roads are full of snow and ice -- and Ruby must wait for me to return. Otherwise she will sit in a garage in Iowa until April ..... not moving. I PROMISE that I will drive Ruby in Scottsdale often ... Ruby has never been a "Garage Queen" and she has gone many, many miles in all directions. Yosemite is some kind of proof ...

The Ruby in Yosemite photograph is "real" - with very little "editing" other than cropping and contrast. There were many dozens of people there - with tour busses and guides speaking 6 languages when I pulled up. I announced that I had to photograph the car for a magazine - and they all formed a horseshoe behind me while I composed and shot. I set up a big Hasselblad with a digital back on a tripod .... A hundred people photographed me - photographing the car.

I'm ready to go --- Scottsdale, here we come !

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Proctor »

Dick, while you're out West, be sure to hook up with the Arizona Outlaws. Monthly 356 Cars & Coffee event at Biltmore, drives, etc. Great group of guys.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#7 Post by Richard Sjolund »

Steve Proctor wrote:Dick, while you're out West, be sure to hook up with the Arizona Outlaws. Monthly 356 Cars & Coffee event at Biltmore, drives, etc. Great group of guys.
I will look forward to that .... Thanks

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#8 Post by Richard Sjolund »

Ruby is safely stored in a commercial storage area - waiting for me to arrive in Scottsdale, Arizona in January.

I drove - alone - from Iowa City, Iowa to Scottsdale, Arizona - leaving just ahead of a major Midwestern Snow storm .... the total trip was 1,613 miles.

On my last day I left my motel in Amarillo, Texas at 5 AM and headed west on I 40. Ruby was in great form - and I had lots of coffee. We got off I 40 at Holbrook, Arizona and had a great sunset drive through the mountain roads past Payson and down to Scottsdale. I arrived at my Scottsdale motel at 7 PM -- after about 14 hours of driving. The drive that day - for Ruby and me - was 713 miles .....

There are lots of 50-year old sports cars - but there are few that are as much fun to drive for hour after hour, all day long.

Dick Sjolund
Ruby-Scottsdale.jpg

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#9 Post by Edwin Ek »

If you're still looking, get in touch with Charlie White. I bet he knows the lay of the land.

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#10 Post by Richard Sjolund »

Edwin Ek wrote:If you're still looking, get in touch with Charlie White. I bet he knows the lay of the land.
I'd love to look up Charlie White -- and Ruby (our 1964 C coupe) is already in Scottsdale, Arizona waiting for me .....

Charlie White
356 Fan

#11 Post by Charlie White »

Blank
Last edited by Charlie White on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie White

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#12 Post by Steve Proctor »

AZ Outlaws Christmas party is Dec 6 if you are in town, Dick.

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#13 Post by Richard Sjolund »

Steve Proctor wrote:AZ Outlaws Christmas party is Dec 6 if you are in town, Dick.

STP
Too bad --- I'll be in Scottsdale after January 1st ... Have a great time !