Clock question T6 B

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Robert Reed
356 Fan

Clock question T6 B

#1 Post by Robert Reed »

Hey guys, sorry to be bothering y’all again, but cannot quite figure out how the clock gets powered. I am replacing the wiring harness under the dash in my T6. I have bullet connection for lighter and then it feeds to clock with another bullet. Alas, no female bullet receiver on the clock. It had not worked since I bought the car since apparently it was not connected to power. Any ideas or pictures of proper connections out there?
Thank you,
Bob

Peter Bartelli
356 Fan
Tag: Captain

Re: Clock question T6 B

#2 Post by Peter Bartelli »

See if this helps..
Attachments
356B wiring Diagram.jpg

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

The power connection to the clock probably originally looked like this. The light for illumination is on the side and that one is connected in parallel with the dash lights.
Attachments
IMG_2837.jpg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Peter Bartelli
356 Fan
Tag: Captain

#4 Post by Peter Bartelli »

Maybe change out that bullet connector on the harness to one that fits the clock or get another correct clock.

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#5 Post by Robert Reed »

Peter, I have the correct clock, I have the depicted wiring diagram and I have the T6 book by Joe Leoni; what I don’t have is the connector that David is showing in the picture that he posted. Thank you David, that is exactly what I need.
I’m also evidently missing the wire to connect the light on the clock, Joe’s book shows it as a separate wire, so at least I can create that as needed. My grey wire which should have 6? Connections only has 5.
Thank y’all again, I truly appreciate the help.
Bob

Tom Keating
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tom Keating »

Remember,the bracket is the ground. A lot of clocks do not work because the bracket is not grounded to the dash. The clock gasket may interfer. Tom
Tom Keating
1964 356C Sunroof

tony apcar
356 Fan

#7 Post by tony apcar »

I would test the clock on the bench...most clocks don't work and need little oil and cleaning... some need the fuse fixed in the clock after cleaning!!!... if not the fuse will blow again....
anthony apcar

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#8 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Important to know that the clock is not a true electric powered item...it is a mechanical clock which is triggered by a momentary electrical impulse. As Tom mentioned, the bracket provides the ground...poor or missing grounds are responsible for many 'electrical' problems on the 356. Clean everything with steel wool, including the area behind the dash, where the bracket contacts. Tony is on the right track also...the mechanical internals of these clocks become gummed up after decades and need cleaning with a light clock-specific oil in order for the delicate gears, etc. to move freely.
If you remove the white plastic backing, you will find what looks like a set of breaker points, ( which it actually is). Often the power connection to this breaker is in need of re-soldering. The weighted mechanism receives a voltage jolt, causing it to pop open., The weight now provides motive power to drive the clock. Each time the weighted breaker arm closes, it receives another electric charge and starts the cycle again...this occurs every ten minutes or so...I forget the exact time lapse.
Oh...also test the power wire to be sure there is power coming through in the first place.

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#9 Post by Robert Reed »

Thanks to all who have replied, some very good advice indeed. I will bench test before I re-install the clock. Does anyone have knowledge of a source for a ring terminal female bullet connector? I just googled the term and couldn’t find anything like the picture that David posted. Help?

Bob
Very early T6
Attachments
9077D1A6-1576-48D6-96D3-59ED368077DE.jpeg

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

Robert: I also have a '63 B. The clock has a bullet connection. The power comes from the same wire that powers the cigarette lighter with a pig tail. As pointed out, sometimes the problem is a bad ground. I use a separate ground connecting it with a ring terminal to a stud on the clock and the other end to a windshield wiper bracket bolt. As also pointed out, sometimes the inner workings need a cleaning and oiling. I use watch oil. Sometimes the fusable link (a very thin wire) has melted or the contact has come unsoldered.

I believe if you Google the topic, there is info on disassembling and repairing the clock.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

tony apcar
356 Fan

#11 Post by tony apcar »

And if you must have a clock in working condition ... I have one dated 9/61 with bullet connection .... tony
anthony apcar

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#12 Post by Robert Reed »

Hey, just thought I’d update the thread and let y’all know that I have made a connector using a ring connector and a small piece of cable shrink. By the way, my clock works perfectly on the battery charger.
So, back to the wiring harness with one more little key to completion done.
Bob

Guess I’ll pass, Tony

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats, Bob. I suspect someone has fiddled with the wire to the clock eliminating the bullet connection or, your car maybe an early B with a different connection: screw or ring terminal. Is your clock original to the car, dated 9/61? What type of connection provides power to the cigarette lighter?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#14 Post by Robert Reed »

Mike,
the clock is original to my car as far as I know; not sure where I am in the lineage of ownership though. I have owned it for 39 years, so it was 16 years old when I bought it. I'm guessing someone took the original connector off before I bought it, as I don't think I would have done that. The lighter is likely original as well, and has the proper bullet receiver at the rear. Prior to my ownership, someone had also put A/C in the car, and it was most certainly a butcher job there as well.
The car is a numbers matching Super 90 coupe and has been in my garage for the last 21 years, and after retiring this year it is my project to get it back on the road. I didn't have time or money with work and family to do what really needed to be done.
I have replaced the gas tank (fiberglass on the bottom?) the entire fuel line, all new brake shoes, cylinders, master cylinder and lines, drained and refilled trans, new axle boots wheel bearings... you get the picture.
Anyway, I'm working on a new (to me) front wiring harness right now in an effort to resolve some electrical gremlins that forced me to park the car when I did.
Sorry for droning on, I know it's more than you asked.
Bob

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

Great progress on your car, Bob. A lot of us have gone through the same process so any time you need help, just holler! If you let us know where you are located, you probably have some local owners that can lend a hand.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe