185-65-15 tires on 4.5 inch rims

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Eaton
356 Fan

#1 Post by John Eaton »

Can anyone relate their experience (good or bad) to mounting 185-65 tires on stock 4.5" rims? I have a T-5 Roadster. From the Registry tire page, this appears to be possible. I am interested in opinions about handling, clearance and other observations. I'm looking at the Continental ContiProContact as they are quite light - 17lbs. for this tire size.

Thanks,

John

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#2 Post by David Jones »

They fit but your speedometer will be off and at slow speed the steering will be heavy.They will rub but only at full lock.
I had the Conti's on the Boxster for a while and switched to Kumho's, much better in my opinion especially at the price. The Conti's took longer to come back to round from cold starts maybe 5 miles but the Kumhos seem to be vibration free afte 2 to 3 miles, but that is in Ohio where it gets cold and all season tires are a must if you drive in winter. I prefer the 165 Kumho's on all my 356's. I doubt you will feel any advantage from the weight difference.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wayne Narciso
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wayne Narciso »

My 2 cents...unless you're trying to save a buck...often $40 to 50 per tire...stay with the correct 165/80/15 tire...Kuhmo makes them, they are readily available with some effort...and you have no rubbing, steering or speedo issues...plus it's the tire the manufacturer recommended whenm it was built..!!!

Jeff Amberg
356 Fan

RE: 185-65-15 tires on 4.5 inch rims

#4 Post by Jeff Amberg »

The tire is a bit bigger, and the storage area under the hood will, possibly, be a tad
tight. I noticed this with the 165's, that the clearance was just enough. Any bigger, or
wider, and it would have been touching the hood underneath.

Jeff

http://www.jeffamberg.com/1958_porsche.htm
Jeff Amberg

http://jeffamberg.com
1017 Ferguson Street
Columbia, SC 29201 USA

803 254 5003

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#5 Post by Emil Wojcik »

I recently replaced my tires with 185-65 tires on the stock 4.5" rims. Handling is better than stock size for my driving. No rubbing so far for me, but I don't autocross or anything. Steering feels fine to me. Yes, the speedo is off but I don't normally look at the speedo much anyway. No experience with the Continental brand. Don't know if the rubbing would be an issue for earlier cars since mine is a C.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Michael Eker

#6 Post by Michael Eker »

Lower profile tires may give the car a sleeker look, and may improve handling, but will

have an adverse effect on comfort and increase low speed steering effort which will put

an increased strain on your, expensive to repair, steering box.

Low profile tires plus "sporty" shock absorbers will soon shake the fillings out of your teeth.

They are ok on a smooth race track but make for unpleasant driving on normal potholed

roads.

meker

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jon Schmid »

I can tell you what size NOT to run--195/65 x 15's, which I inherited on my '64 Coupe and which despite their relative youthfulness and full treads are getting ditched as soon as I get my brakes redone. Something about cracks developing in the sidewalls...

John Eaton
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Eaton »

Thanks everyone for your comments! I'll let you know how it goes.