looking for speed nuts for engine compartment insulation

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Erickson
356 Fan

looking for speed nuts for engine compartment insulation

#1 Post by Dave Erickson »

I'm working on the engine compartment insulation on my 64 SC, and have purchased Stoddard's kit. I'm missing the speed nuts that fit on the long rods that attach the rear seat panel and also hold the firewall insulation in place. Are these a generic product I can buy at O'Reilley's or the local Ford dealer, or where can I source them? They are round about 1" in diameter or a bit larger.

-Dave

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: looking for speed nuts for engine compartment insulation

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Dave: the speed nuts are, I believe, 3mm. Are you referring to the fender washer? My guess is you could get them directly from Autos International.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

There is a picture in this link of what came with my interior from Auto's international. I would think any good hardware store would have what you need. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32529&hilit=sound+deadening
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

#4 Post by Harold Singh »

Is there a fastenal near you?
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

If you really want to be original, I don't think any of the locally-sourced parts are correct:
sound proofing 002.JPG
But I found that the judicious application of some 90* dental picks would lift the tangs of the original parts and allow them to be removed and re-used.
At least part of the time, so I used those where visible and used the 'new' ones behind the fan housing.
And now Ab knows where to knock points off if he's judging...
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dave Erickson »

Ron LaDow wrote:If you really want to be original, I don't think any of the locally-sourced parts are correct:
sound proofing 002.JPG
But I found that the judicious application of some 90* dental picks would lift the tangs of the original parts and allow them to be removed and re-used.
At least part of the time, so I used those where visible and used the 'new' ones behind the fan housing.
And now Ab knows where to knock points off if he's judging...
Ron, that is exactly what I am looking for. I haven't replaced the interior, and won't be doing it this year, but for now I want to re-attach the engine compartment front insulation using the existing wires. Both the washers and the speed nuts are missing. I will use some rectangular speed nuts, like those shown in Doug's photos, if I can't find a source for the round ones that were original. Harold, there is a Fastenal in Salinas, so I will pay them a visit.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

-Dave

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron LaDow »

Dave, I never found anything close, and I did have the web available when I was searching. I'm guessing it's an obsolete design in that it's dumb to make millions of parts round instead of square unless you need to; imagine the material waste.
But those are not hard parts to have made, even (water jet) in relatively low quantities. But it'll have to be done by someone who can sell them; Stoddard, NLA, Klasse, Sierra Madre, etc. Hell, I.M. or Parts Source could probably make money at it; people call them for that stuff.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dave Erickson »

Ron, I will try making some. If I'm successful I'll post the details.

-Dave

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brad Ripley »

You are looking for the trademark "Quicklock" for this company http://www.hugobenzing.de/en/products/standard-parts/bq Benzing in Germany, a few clicks from the Porsche factory. They have distribution somewhere in MI.
Attachments
Quicklock Benzing.jpg
Quicklock Benzing.jpg (10.1 KiB) Viewed 3072 times

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

Brad, are those exactly correct and still available from the original manufacturer? Also, were they used with a washer, or is it one piece?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ron LaDow »

Martin Benade wrote:Brad, are those exactly correct and still available from the original manufacturer? Also, were they used with a washer, or is it one piece?
Martin, those looks close, but the originals have 3 tabs, and I can see there must still be a market for round speed nuts...
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

I just went to the McMaster Carr site and searched "speed nuts". They have the round ones in metric and an installation tool.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dave Erickson »

Mike, the McMaster Carr speed nuts look like a good solution. They come in metric sizes as well as inch. I worked today on fitting the Stoddard's engine compartment insulation in place, and came to the conclusion that it is not going to look like the original, so the best I can do is a neat job. If I was sticking with the original insulation I might hold out for a better match on the speed nuts.

-Dave

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

Glad to be of help, Dave.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe